The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Good sci fi shows!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Default Good sci fi shows!

Okay, another thread covered the shows we hated, and are happy to have seen consigned to the dust bin of failed TV... but what shows do you remember that got cancelled way too early?

For me, I was sorry to see "John Doe" go, although I felt the show was going down the wrong path with the big conspiracy subplot. The idea that you have your main character being literally a "Mr. Know It All" was just too cool!

And of course, I was sorry that "Beauty and the Beast" didn't last quite long enough to make it to syndication.

And I'm as POed about Firefly and Farscape as much as anyone else.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Captain

Space - Above and Beyond

I just cant understand why that show was and is treated so badly. A damn poor shame it was canceled after its first season. I just loved it and watched each and every episode. Actually TOS, TNG and Space are the three only shows I really watched regularly and each and every week. BSG for me is nothing more then a poor rip off of that show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_Above_and_Beyond
Old 05-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Firefly! Yea! Loved that show! Talking about canceled shows Stargate SG-1 was a fav of mine. Currently on there's Stargate Atlantis, Heroes, and Eureka is ok.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Oh, and another show that didn't make it past the pilot stage, but shows up on programs at conventions now and then, is "Plymouth" The story of a small northern mining town that gets displaced due to a Chernobyl type accident, and is offered the chance to man a lunar base.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

"Now and Again"

CBS cancelled it after one season in 1999. It briefly played on the Sci-Fi Channel. It had potential.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Firefly! Yea! Loved that show! Talking about canceled shows Stargate SG-1 was a fav of mine. Currently on there's Stargate Atlantis, Heroes, and Eureka is ok.
Yeah, Firefly is the first that comes to mind for me too, and then they killed two major characters in the movie, not even giving them good deaths, that had show a lot of potential.

SG-1 is one of my fav scifi shows as well, it is too bad it got canceled but it did last for 11 seasons, that's longer than any other American scifi show so it definitely had a good run. But Atlantis is still on and a SG1 movie coming out in the fall.

I might get some flack for this but I thought Enterprise was canceled too early, I felt it was finally getting off the ground in it's fourth season, which is why it was canceled, it took three seasons to really get good, but I wish it had lasted a little longer.

Does Lost count as scifi? One of my favorite shows, might be able to tell by the avatar. Anyway it hasn't been canceled which is nice, I think it's green lighted for a run of 7 seasons, 16 episodes a piece after this season ends, so three more seasons of Lost, looking forward to that!

The new BSG also, probably the best thing in scifi on right now, IMO.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 05-09-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Star Wars Clone Wars

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Space - Above and Beyond

I just cant understand why that show was and is treated so badly. A damn poor shame it was canceled after its first season. I just loved it and watched each and every episode. Actually TOS, TNG and Space are the three only shows I really watched regularly and each and every week. BSG for me is nothing more then a poor rip off of that show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_Above_and_Beyond
I loved that show myself. I also miss Far Escape.
As shows that were great and ran for a good time was Stargate SG1, Buffy and Angel
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM

Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Space 1999, The Twilight Zone, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Outer Limits, The X-Files, Farscape, Futurama.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Does Wonderfalls count? It approaches the "fantasy" category.... In that vein, I'm a huge fan of Eli Stone and hope it sticks around for awhile....Similarly, I'd offer up Joan of Arcadia.

On a more obviously Science Fiction note, I'd join in on the chorus for Firefly.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!