The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Vista or XP - Dual booting for compatibility
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Ensign

Default Vista or XP - Dual booting for compatibility

Many people claim that you can not Dual Boot with Vista because of loading issues or the computer breaking, and if you do get a Dual boot, you have to install XP first.

This information is FALSE in the extreme sense.

I am currently running Vista Home Premium 64 bit with Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition 2005 32 bit on my computer for Dual boot.

Many ask "What does dual boot mean?"

Dual boot is where you take your hard drive and section it into 2 different drives and put a different operating system on to each drive. When the computer starts up, you have a choice of which Operating System you want to use. Each operating system is independent of each other, which is great because it eliminates program incompatibilities.

I have written a Dual Boot guide (which Microsoft should have figured out 2 weeks after the release of Vista but still has not been able to do).

This guide is for users who have Vista already installed on their computer and do not want to lose any information or programs, but need XP for compatibility with their older software.

The things you need are your XP install disk (not a system manufacturers restore disk, but a full retail or system builders OEM disk installation), your Vista disk (this can be any Vista disk that came with your PC or that you bought separate), and Windows XP driver disk for your hardware (you can download the drivers for all your components located in your Device Manager and burn to disk. If you are running RAID, this is a definite MUST to have otherwise you will not be able to install XP. Other than Raid drivers, you will need the XP drivers to install first thing once you get into the XP environment when install is complete).

All you will need after this is my guide for Dual Booting, which has worked on over 200 computer systems that I have built and over 130 Beta Testers independent of myself.

This guide also has some XP and Vista tweaks including stuff about UAC that you did not know and How to get your Operating system to use your CPU fully and how to install programs to Vista correctly for program compatibility (if compatibility is at all possible).

The link to the Dual Boot guide is posted below.

Please post any question, comments, or even just let me know if this guide works for you.

Thanks for your time.

Guide is located at :

http://warpcore.110mb.com/Downloads/..._Dual_Boot.zip

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 05-09-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Vista right now, is pretty much a waste of time, my man.

Until they get all the kinks out of it (Like XP in it's early days) I am steering clear and sticking with XP SP3.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Ensign

The reason for this post is mainly for those who bought a computer with Vista already installed.. There are few programs that have compatibility issues with Vista, unless the programmers used non standard coding of the program or outdated development tools to create the program, which if they are any programmer at all, they would use standards or modern software. The bigest problem with Vista is programs that were created using DirectX 8 or older or written on Visual Basic 6 which is DirectX 8 based and has been outdated since 2002.

For example, the games I have helped create are the Starfleet Command series.. All the games work in the XP environment, perfectly except Staffleet Command (the original) which has a bit of lag when you first start palying, but after the first shuttle is launched or the first round of weapons fire, the glitching is over and game play is smooth.. all the other games work flawlessly with all game functions if you set the game up correctly according to the instructions I posted at www.dynaverse.net/forums .

On vista however, SFC 1 works perfectly in Windows 98 compatibility mode with absolutely 0 glitches or lag, however on later titles of Empires at War and Orion Pirates, they work great under XPSP 2 compatibility, however the online Dynaverse campaign mode lags because of a DirectX incompatibility. Playing the actual missions on the Dynaverse, or playing on Gamespy Arcade or using the TCP/IP mode of the game, there are 0 issues. Map movement, Buying, repairing, supplying your ship, viewing a ship in the shipyards, checking hex health status on the game map, and viewing the server generated news will cause the client on Vista to lag up to 2 min when playing the Dynaverse game mode. Starfleet Command 3 works perfectly on both XP and Vista with 0 issues so long as you have the games set up correctly (same steps for both Operating systems).

However the majority of players that play EAW or Orion Pirates prefer Dynaverse campaign play, which is too slow on the Vista environment, and as such, I created this Dual boot guide for those who have Vista in order for them to be able to put XP on their computer to get the older games working 100%.

I'm not advocating that people upgrade to Vista, but people will have to upgrade soon enough. XP is coming off the market completely June 30, 2008 and support for XP stops June 30, 2009. The only computers that will be sold until 2011 are base model laptops running XP Home Edition which are going to be sold exclusively for the No Kids Left Behind program.

In September 2009, Microsoft is planning on releasing Windows 7 (which is being Beta tested currently under the name Windows 7 Milestone 1 Alpha Release) and is just an upgrade to the current Vista SP 1 Operating system (basically Vista with a few different functions than currently installed).

By that time, 90% of your software manufacturers will have abandoned writing programs for XP and you will have to have Vista or better on your computer in order to play new games (like Star Trek : Online) or run new programs for offices or businesses.. XP will have lost support from Microsoft as well as programs that ran on the XP environment.

What this guide offers is a method to be able to use new programs in Vista, but also have the compatibility for older software that worked in XP and as such, not lose any functionality or software with your computer.

If you are running XP currently, then fantastic.. you are only missing out on about 10% of the software market.. however this number will increase over the next year because XP will no longer be available after next month.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 05-09-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
The reason for this post is mainly for those who bought a computer with Vista already installed.. There are few programs that have compatibility issues with Vista, unless the programmers used non standard coding of the program or outdated development tools to create the program, which if they are any programmer at all, they would use standards or modern software. The bigest problem with Vista is programs that were created using DirectX 8 or older or written on Visual Basic 6 which is DirectX 8 based and has been outdated since 2002.

For example, the games I have helped create are the Starfleet Command series.. All the games work in the XP environment, perfectly except Staffleet Command (the original) which has a bit of lag when you first start palying, but after the first shuttle is launched or the first round of weapons fire, the glitching is over and game play is smooth.. all the other games work flawlessly with all game functions if you set the game up correctly according to the instructions I posted at www.dynaverse.net/forums .

On vista however, SFC 1 works perfectly in Windows 98 compatibility mode with absolutely 0 glitches or lag, however on later titles of Empires at War and Orion Pirates, they work great under XPSP 2 compatibility, however the online Dynaverse campaign mode lags because of a DirectX incompatibility. Playing the actual missions on the Dynaverse, or playing on Gamespy Arcade or using the TCP/IP mode of the game, there are 0 issues. Starfleet Command 3 works perfectly on both XP and Vista with 0 issues so long as you have the games set up correctly (same steps for both Operating systems).

However the majority of players that play EAW or Orion Pirates prefer Dynaverse campaign play, which is too slow on the Vista environment, and as such, I created this Dual boot guide for those who have Vista in order for them to be able to put XP on their computer to get the older games working 100%.

I'm not advocating that people upgrade to Vista, but people will have to upgrade soon enough. XP is coming off the market completely June 30, 2008 and support for XP stops June 30, 2009. The only computers that will be sold until 2011 are base model laptops running XP Home Edition which are going to be sold exclusively for the No Kids Left Behind program.

In September 2009, Microsoft is planning on releasing Windows 7 (which is being Beta tested currently under the name Windows 7 Milestone 1 Alpha Release) and is just an upgrade to the current Vista SP 1 Operating system (basically Vista with a few different functions than currently installed).

By that time, 90% of your software manufacturers will have abandoned writing programs for XP and you will have to have Vista or better on your computer in order to play new games (like Star Trek : Online) or run new programs for offices or businesses.. XP will have lost support from Microsoft as well as programs that ran on the XP environment.

What this guide offers is a method to be able to use new programs in Vista, but also have the compatibility for older software that worked in XP and as such, not lose any functionality or software with your computer.

If you are running XP currently, then fantastic.. you are only missing out on about 10% of the softwaare market currently.. however this number will increase over the next year because XP will no longer be available after next month.

Hope this helps.
Oh...well I do video editing alot, but no online gaming, but have a "gamer's style" system do just that. Right now all my editing programs will not work with Vista.

Unless MS makes some new radical change with Vista soon, people will be clamoring for any black market copy of XP they can get, if they do indeed get rid of it.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Ensign

What softwae do you use for Video Editing.. I have over 60 programs on my system for just that and they all work just fine with Vista and / or XP.

The main thing you have to have for Vista is the Vista Codec package, not the KLite codec. Klite does not work in Vista, but the Vista Codec pack has everything KLite does and then some.. like Real and Quicktime alternative. For Vista 64 bit, you also need the Vista Codec x64 tools package.

I can convert to MOV, AVI, HD-DVD, Blue-Ray, Widescreen, Standard (NTSC), PAL, Real, Divx, xVid, ffDirectShow, MPEG 2, 3 and 4, VOB, Bink, and the list keeps going.. If you are using tools that do not currently work in Vista, then the tools are outdated and I am sure that the creators of the program have an updated version now that works both in Vista and XP.. Like I stated, I have over 60 video editing tools on here for game development and out of those 40 of them are free downloads.

I also use Sony Sound Forge 9 on here which is both Vista and XP compatible, but there are many other sound editing tools on the market that are XP and Vista compliant.

It sounds as if the software you are using was developed in VB 6, which is an easy fix on Vista.. you just need to install

dx7vb.dll and dx8vb.dll to the system32 (and syswow64 for Vista 64 bit) folder and then run command prompt in Administrator mode, navagate to the System32 ( and syswow64 folder for Vista 64 bit) folder and type in

regserv32.exe /install dx7vb.dll

and then do the same thing for dx8vb.dll

and all your VB 6 programs will work just fine in Vista.

that is all it takes to get VB 6 programs working in the Vista environment.. very simple.

When you are ready to upgrade, I can help you out on what to get and what to avoid. Just email me at pestalence@gmail.com and put in the subject Warp Core Computers : Support .. that is my company. I build PC's, install software, get things compatible, clean up systems, and so forth, as well as keep up with game support for Taldren's previous titles.

Just let me know and hopefully I can help you out.

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 05-09-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Federation Councillor

I am working with Pinnicale Studio 10 right now. Version 11 is Vista compatable. When I can justify the cost, I'll purchase the total upgrade.

When I do, I will contact you about, count on it.

You are the most knowlegeable person in this area we have.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I am working with Pinnicale Studio 10 right now. Version 11 is Vista compatable. When I can justify the cost, I'll purchase the total upgrade.

When I do, I will contact you about, count on it.

You are the most knowlegeable person in this area we have.
I've had serious problems with allegedly Vista compatible programs on Vista. I would be wary of upgrading even with an allegedly Vista compatible program. Besides if you do upgrade to Vista be prepared to suffer a significant slow down in your system performance since Vista requires much more system resources to sit there and do nothing then XP. At least that has been my experience.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Vista right now, is pretty much a waste of time, my man.

Until they get all the kinks out of it (Like XP in it's early days) I am steering clear and sticking with XP SP3.
I agree, Vista is a total let down.

1) A resource hog
2) Constantly is accessing your Hard Drive so it runs way too much
3) A lot of XP friendly programs will not work with Vista

What was the point of Vista... Better security? Blocking everything that pops up is not better security, it's poor and lazy programming.
lol, you have to say it's OK to even run a Vista feature.

I HATE Vista... Hopefully Windows 7 will be better.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
I agree, Vista is a total let down.

1) A resource hog
2) Constantly is accessing your Hard Drive so it runs way too much
3) A lot of XP friendly programs will not work with Vista

What was the point of Vista... Better security? Blocking everything that pops up is not better security, it's poor and lazy programming.
lol, you have to say it's OK to even run a Vista feature.

I HATE Vista... Hopefully Windows 7 will be better.
Well maybe, but for now, like I said, I'll stick with XP SP3.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
I've had serious problems with allegedly Vista compatible programs on Vista. I would be wary of upgrading even with an allegedly Vista compatible program. Besides if you do upgrade to Vista be prepared to suffer a significant slow down in your system performance since Vista requires much more system resources to sit there and do nothing then XP. At least that has been my experience.
The requirements for Vista, running in Basic graphics mode with Aero turned off and Superfetch turned off is 512 MB system ram.

With Vista running with Aero engaged with Enhanced Desktop turned on, then you need to have a minimum of 1 GB installed. If you have Super Fetch turned on, then you need to have 2 GB system ram (1.46 GB for Vista to run with all eye candy and fast program loads enabled).

However Superfetch is not necessary especially if you use different programs all the time. Superfetch pre-loads your most commonly used software that it thinks you are going to be using for faster launch. Turning off Superfetch will lower system resources by 53%. I for 1 never use the same programs multiple times in a row, so in order to reduce system memory usage of the OS, turning off SuperFetch is a must.

Also, you need to keep UAC turned on, but use a utility called TweakUAC and set UAC to quiet mode.. this way UAC will protect your system as it sould without giving you the annoying pop-ups asking for permission on everything.. this too is a must. UAC does multiple things besides ask permissin to run a program. I also monitors program installs to make sure that the settings and install goes correctly. If there is a problem installing UAC will prompt you to reinstall using correct settings. Also UAC monitors your system startup files and notifies you of when a program is trying to either start up with your system, or alter existing start up files and gives you the control to say yes or no. UAC is a necessary feature with the world of Viruses we have today. UAC is annoying in its out of box default setting, but TweakUAC will wllow you to turn the annoying part off by setting it to quiet mode, not turning it off.

Also disable windows features that you do not need such as Tablet PC, Remote Differential Compression, Windows DFS Replication Service, Indexing service, and Telnet.. these do nothing but use resources that you really don't need.. they are enabled by default for corporate use.. Home users really don't need them.

You should see about a 60% increase in system performance doing these things. Also keep your Hard Drive defraged at least 2 times a week and run a ScanDisk at least 1 time a week.

If you are running Norton or MCafee, those are actually classified as Viruses my many computer companies, even though that are bundeled on most computer systems.. AVG v8 is a free Anti-Virus program that even searches web pages and search engine results letting you know that a site is safe.. AVG can also scan cookies coming in before your system gets a tracker on it.

McAfee and Norton are over 400 MB installs to your Hard Drive and invades your system completely like a Virus and will cause a 40% slowdown of your computer. AVG is only a 54 MB install and you have 0 slow down except when it first scans a web site for infections, but all software works 100% full speed with AVG where Norton or Mcafee will only let your software run at 60% of it's potential.

McAfee and Norton are memory invasive and use a lot of resources in themselves. Upwards of 50 to 60 Mb system memory.

AVG fully loaded only uses 8 MB system memory..

Also, recommended with any Anti-Virys software, when installing or patching software, Turn your AV off to prevent corruption of program files.. Also when playing a Multi-Player game, turn your AV off to remove game lagging and game drops from the AV corrupting incoming game packets.

Turn your AV bak on for web browsing and getting Downloads and checking Email .. these are the only times you actually need your AV on.

Also, no AV will catch everything.. On Vista, I also recommend Ad-Aware 2008 (due out soon), Ad-Aware 2007 is not compatible.. I am beta testing Ad-Aware 2008 and it works great.. finds a lot more than previous versions.

and Finally, I also use Spybot Search and Destroy.. it gets the remaining things that Ad-Aware and most AV's can't find.. however currently with the first 2 programs, the only thing Spybot has had to remove is software usage tracks.. that is it.

Periodically (1 time a month) I will run Trend Micro Housecalls online Virus scanner just to double check my system, or Panda Active Scan.. however out of the last 2 months, AVG has caught more than either one of those programs are designed to find and my system has been clean.

It all depends on how you have your computer set up and what programs you are running.. the more Icons that come up next to your system clock, the slower your PC is going to perform.. It is best to go into run and put in MSCONFIG and when the window opens, go to the StartUp tab and clean out everything you do not absolutely need. Leave things like your Vid card and Sound card to start up, but stuff like Java (jsched.ede), Quicktime (QTask.exe), and other programs like messengers and office and encarta and emails that you can launch manually, remove them.. you will lower your system resources quite a bit doing this and your system will be a whole lot faster. This is for both XP and Vista users

Also for XP and Vista users.. the OS does not recognize your CPU's 2nd level cache.. You have to manually get your OS to recognize it otherwise your CPU that has 2, or 4 or 8 MB of 2nd lvl cache will only use 256 kb 2nd level cache.. to adjust this and get the full use of your CPU :

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter. (Click Continue for UAC prompt for Vista users unless you have already put UAC into quiet mode.)
3. In regedit, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management
4. In the right pane, right click SecondLevelDataCache and click Modify.
5. Type in the value for your CPU L2 size.
Here is a basic chart for the values for 2nd level cache. To determine how much 2nd level cache your CPU has, use CPU-Z located at http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php . All you need to check in this utility is how much 2nd level cache your CPU has.

L2 Size: Type value in boldbelow.
DECIMAL---------HEXADECIMAL
256 KB-----------100 (hex)
512 KB-----------200 (hex)
1024 KB (1MB)----400 (hex)
2048 KB (2MB)----800 (hex)
4096 KB (4MB)----1000 (hex)
6144 KB (6MB)----1800 (hex)
8192 KB (8MB)----2000 (hex)
12288 KB (12MB)--3000 (hex)
16384 KB (16MB)--4000 (hex)

6. Click OK to apply.
7. Close regedit.
Restart the computer to apply the change.

These things are just the basics of what I do on almost any system.. that is unless they want the look of Windows Aero on Vista.. I also recommend to everyone running Vista to either upgrade to 2 GB or 4 GB of ram so you can take full advantage of the OS.. but if you have 1 GB ram, then disabling the above stuff will increase system performance by 78% and it will run very fast. Also Vista users should have Vista SP 1 installed.

Also Vista Compatible programs are only compatible under Vista SP 1. Most programs needed the hotfixes that SP 1 provides.. also programs that state XP / Vista compliant, you may need to set the program for XPSP 2 compatibility and check Disable Desktop Composition and Disable Visual Themes for them to work correctly and put a check mark into Run the program as an Administrator so that the program is able to save your personal settings.

Hope that this helps

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 05-09-2008 at 10:35 AM.