The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Do all of the crew have families?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTrekFan View Post
Kinda off topic, but why did Scotty Carry his nephew to the bridge seeing how sickbay is between Main engineering and the bridge. That scene always seems out of place.
I think Scotty was so shocked at his nephew's condition that he went to the bridge just out of habit. He also might have thought that Doctor McCoy was there. I forget if McCoy was on the bridge at that time or if he was in sickbay.

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Ensign

Pretty Sure McCoy was in sickbay, but ok I'll buy the whole I'm in shock and don't know where I'm going bit, seeing how in WWII men that lost limbs would try to take them with then if they could walk
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Lieutenant

I believe in the novelization of TWOK, the turbolift system is malfunctioning...Scotty was trying to carry his nephew to sickbay, but instead of stopping on the deck the Sickbay is, it went all the way to the bridge.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Back on topic. Other than the ones mentioned here in thread, there is not much known about the families of the rest. But didn't see anyone talk about Sulu's Daughter Demora, as we all know is the Helmsmen of the E-B
Hell, Takei didn't even know Sulu had a daughter until he read it in the script! She tends to arise in the conversation out of nowhere when least expected.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Kinda off topic, but why did Scotty Carry his nephew to the bridge seeing how sickbay is between Main engineering and the bridge. That scene always seems out of place.

Back on topic. Other than the ones mentioned here in thread, there is not much known about the families of the rest. But didn't see anyone talk about Sulu's Daughter Demora, as we all know is the Helmsmen of the E-B
Also, people do some really crazy, off the wall stuff when they're grieving, or in shock, believe me, i know. If your kid got run over by a car in front of you, would you just leave him in the street to get hit by the next car? You'd probably grab him and run around like a chicken with your head cut off yelling "Call 911!, Call 911!". Very few people have the gift of being totally level-headed in a situation like that. Most people freak like a big dog.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Also, people do some really crazy, off the wall stuff when they're grieving, or in shock, believe me, i know. If your kid got run over by a car in front of you, would you just leave him in the street to get hit by the next car? You'd probably grab him and run around like a chicken with your head cut off yelling "Call 911!, Call 911!". Very few people have the gift of being totally level-headed in a situation like that. Most people freak like a big dog.
This is true...and, Scotty likely had it in his head that he had to report to the bridge, to Captain Kirk. It's not at all uncommon for people in shock enducing situations to seek out someone they have relied on for comfort throughout their lives....people being tortured will cry out for Mommy even though Mommy has been dead for years. I could see Scotty being so freaked that he had to go to Kirk...maybe even harboring some belief that Kirk could make it right as he's made so many things right in the past.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
This is true...and, Scotty likely had it in his head that he had to report to the bridge, to Captain Kirk. It's not at all uncommon for people in shock enducing situations to seek out someone they have relied on for comfort throughout their lives....people being tortured will cry out for Mommy even though Mommy has been dead for years. I could see Scotty being so freaked that he had to go to Kirk...maybe even harboring some belief that Kirk could make it right as he's made so many things right in the past.
Holy Frijoles! That is an EXCELLENT point! I can't believe it didn't cross my mind. I was thinking of Scotty as the miracle worker, but that's only in the engine room. But you're absolutely right, in the bigger picture, it's James Tiberius Kirk. Kirk is always the one who snatches victory from the jaws of defeat, and life out of the jaws of death. But even Kirk isn't perfect, as we've seen many times, especially in TSFS and TWOK. The victory comes off, but not always right away, and not always as expected. But when someone is as successful at it as Kirk, people tend to expect him to always be.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Also, I thought the point was thematic that it was showing Kirk there's a real world price despite his clever tactics to avoid the no-win scenario. It's one thing for a cadet to reprogram a simulator to beat a test, but when faced with Khan (another contest Kirk thought he'd "won"), the situation can be a deadly game.

Note that Scotty's appearance comes right on top of a 'celebration' for Kirk getting out of another tight jam by his wits and the skin of his teeth. I agree with the comments about Scotty reacting as anyone would and 'returning to his Captain' under the circumstance in character terms, but thematically his act was a lesson for Kirk: beating another no-win scenario can still cause losses... as the finale of the film ultimately proves to him.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Well, yes, that was the dramatic point and it worked very well....nothing puts the kebosh on a celebration like a dead youngster. But, if it felt untrue or forced, it would have less impact. Because Kirk has always "snatched a chance for life out of certain death" it felt right when Scotty went to Kirk with his horrible burden.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 PM

Yes, Even the greatest and most complete victories always have to be paid for. It keeps the victor's ego in check. Humility is a good medicine to take a daily dose of.