The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > online dating
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Admiral

Talking

Im sure all the women bow at Zaroz's feet. I know I do. And Im male.

JK ... Or am I? Great now I need to see my shrink again.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Well, dude, you are a giant floating Godhead. That must be tough to compete with!
I wasn't levitating that particular moment...lol....
Old 05-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Im sure all the women bow at Zaroz's feet. I know I do. And Im male.

JK ... Or am I? Great now I need to see my shrink again.
Well when I was famous, long ago and far away, I had seveal bow at my feet, with no encuragement from me.

Jed you may rise now and be happy!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Thank you Zardoz. I'd be all knowing and powerfull if my powers worked on this planet... *Hangs head in shame*
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Thank you Zardoz. I'd be all knowing and powerfull if my powers worked on this planet... *Hangs head in shame*

Zardoz says you are more powerful than you can ever know, just look inside, we are all Gods.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Captain

My social life in the 1990s consisted of the "Jewish Singles" chat room on AOL followed by JDATE. I went on loads of first dates and the amount of money I spent probably could have net me some awesome stuff at the Christies Auction. After thousands of hours and dollars and nothing to show for it, I met my wife the old fashioned way. I had been a new attending at my hospital for one month and she and I were taking care of the same patient. She paged me one night, I thought with a problem with the patient, but she was really asking me out! I'm all for aggressive women. We broke up and got back together twice over the next 2 years and in the interim, I availed myself to the computer again but I never found anyone as genuine so after we had our last patch-up, I never looked back and never regretted it.
I think here in NYC things are a little different because there are so many ways of meeting people. A small mumber of the people on online sites here are really looking for a long-lasting relationship or marriage but I do thing that a lot of them are using the computer just to fill up thier weekends nights or to see what else is out there.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
My social life in the 1990s consisted of the "Jewish Singles" chat room on AOL followed by JDATE. I went on loads of first dates and the amount of money I spent probably could have net me some awesome stuff at the Christies Auction. After thousands of hours and dollars and nothing to show for it, I met my wife the old fashioned way. I had been a new attending at my hospital for one month and she and I were taking care of the same patient. She paged me one night, I thought with a problem with the patient, but she was really asking me out! I'm all for aggressive women. We broke up and got back together twice over the next 2 years and in the interim, I availed myself to the computer again but I never found anyone as genuine so after we had our last patch-up, I never looked back and never regretted it.
I think here in NYC things are a little different because there are so many ways of meeting people. A small mumber of the people on online sites here are really looking for a long-lasting relationship or marriage but I do thing that a lot of them are using the computer just to fill up thier weekends nights or to see what else is out there.

Just my humble opinion.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say your Jewsih?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Vice Admiral

I have never met anyone that I have dated through the internet. I may give it a try one these days. I see nothing wrong with meeting online and agreeing to meet in person. I agree that care must be taken and that not everyone is what they seem to be.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I have never met anyone that I have dated through the internet. I may give it a try one these days. I see nothing wrong with meeting online and agreeing to meet in person. I agree that care must be taken and that not everyone is what they seem to be.
Or just get hooker on reatiner...lol.

Just teasing!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Ensign

Well, statistically speaking, online dating has in general had a very successful option. In fact, I know of many people who have met online, married and now have children. I've been dating online for many, many years with no success and I still haven't given up, but I also think I'm destined to be alone forever too. Anyway, I stopped for a while because I became tired of it and it was at that moment that I met my girlfriend at work. We worked at different departments so it was easy to conceal our relationship, but once it got serious, I decided to quit and found another job because it would have a been a problem later on. However, after three wonderful years we broke up but we're still the best of friends and still hang out like we did when we were together. As a result, I began to date online and had quite a few pleasant experiences, none of them were scary, thank God. But I also have another experience to share with you all.

I met this lady named Lila Styron on a dating site known as engage.com and we have been chatting for a few months on yahoo messenger chat room and we've become friends. She resides in London, England and I live in Florida, USA. We exchanged home addresses as well as mobile numbers. Then she told me that she wanted to visit me in Florida in April. But to accomplish that, she would need to get a hold of her client who works in North Carolina to mail her funds to her, but if she waits for her check to clear in the UK, it will take about 30 days and by that time her vacation would have been over. That's why she wanted to have her client send her check to me in my name and put it into my bank account to hold for her when she meets me in Florida. At the time, I agreed to do this, but I took some precautions to protect myself in the event that this could be a scam by creating an entirely new account. Once I receive it via courier, I was planning to go to the bank and have them examine it to make sure that it is legit before depositing it in my new account. But if the bank said that it is fake, then I will know that this is a scam and I would tell Lila that the deal (and the friendship) is over. During that time, I tried calling her a few times just so I could hear her voice, but all I got was the constant ringing or "sorry, that number is busy, please try again later" speech. Then I tried her old mobile number and a man answered the phone. Here is what transpired:

Man: Hello?

Me: Hi, I would like to speak to Lila please.

Man: Okay, hold on. Hey, there's somebody on the phone!

Then I heard the tv in the background talking about the NASDAQ while a dog was barking, followed by a lady's voice telling the dog to shut up and then she yawned. I waited for 15 minutes and then I hung up in frustration. When I redialed the old mobile number again, I got the same thing:

Man: Hello? Okay, hold on. Hey, there's somebody on the phone!

I heard the tv in the background talking about the NASDAQ while a dog was barking, followed by a lady's voice telling the dog to shut up and then she yawned.

A week ago, I tried Lila's new mobile number again and I was unable to get through yet again. But just a few days ago, I tried her new mobile number one more time and got through and this is what took place:

Man: Hello? Okay, hold on. Hey, there's somebody on the phone!

I heard the tv in the background talking about the NASDAQ while a dog was barking, followed by a lady's voice telling the dog to shut up and then she yawned.

But this time, when I called, I didn't say anything during the call because it was just like I suspected: it was a recorded message! After making this startling discovery, I began to suspect that Lila is not who she says she is. One thing that clued me in was that her email address is: lilastyronn@yahoo.com. If she really wanted to protect her privacy, then why would she list her yahoo email address as her full name? Then she gives a bogus mobile number and that immediately raised a red flag.

Then I had a friend from the UK check out her mobile number and he came to the conclusion that it is not a mobile number or a landline. It is what they call in the UK a "personal number" or virtual number, which can be redirected as often as needed to a landline or mobile phone anywhere in the world (via an online control panel).

Such numbers are normally only used by people who move around a lot (such as businessmen) and who need to be easily contactable via a central number. The drawback is that it is quite expensive to call these numbers, as the caller is effectively paying for the cost of the redirect service.

I have done some research on mobile numbers in the UK and according to this site: http://www.419scam.org/419-phone-uk.htm#phone-uk most mobile numbers that start off as: +44 70xx number usually means you're dealing with criminals based in Nigeria. Her mobile number does indeed start off as +44 70xx, as a matter of fact, here is her full mobile number: +447031966493 and then I checked her IP address and traced it back to Nigeria, she was not from England after all! LOL. Thus, further confirming that this is a scam.

Then in our final chat, she told me how much she cared about me and considered me a "special" friend. By "special" she meant to say, "sucker". I told her I knew she was a scam artist and that our friendship was over. Plus, if she tried to contact me again, I told her that I would block her and have her blacklisted. I would bet good money that Lila is not even a british woman, but rather a nigerian male.

Now, I'm currently in the process of creating my own newsletter about warning sincere singles out there to be aware of these online dating scams. In fact, here are several tips for you to know what to look out for online dating scams:

1. Written all in CAPITALS

2. Bad English grammar

3. You are asked to contact another person or agent or "barrister"

4. Includes fake addresses

5. Name seems odd... first name used as surname, for example

6. Doesn't address you by name (Dear Friend/Winner/whatever)

7. Comes from a person you don't know

8. Involves a somewhat illegal activity (money laundering, smuggling, etc)

9. Asks for personal details (bank account, passport, etc)

10. Uses cellphones or a redirection service

11. Requires an urgent response

12. Requires secrecy

13. Plays on your sympathy (orphans, widows, cancer, natural disasters, etc)

14. Doesn't mention money

15. Offers money for no work (e.g. lottery winnings)

16. Offers money for little work (e.g. check-cashing)

17. Offers to buy something at a ridiculously high price

18. Offers to sell something at a ridiculously low price

19. Received the same email from two different addresses

20. Provides "documents" which have been produced by Photoshop

21. A Google search finds their name associated with a scam

22. Your email address is available on the Web

23. www.scamomatic.com tells you it is a scam

24. www.urgentmessage.org finds their name or phone number

Remember this folks, when something is too good to be true, it is. Please spread the word to all your family and friends so they too are aware of these online dating scams. Now, I'm not saying that online dating should be banned, quite the contrary. I think it definitely increases your chances of finding your soulmate, even it he or she is living in another country. Just be safe out there and be aware.

Last edited by Whitestar : 05-09-2008 at 10:08 AM.