The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Tarsus IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 PM

You have excellent attention to detail Eliza. Unfortunately, i doubt the Abrams team would even notice the historic details you've mentioned. This is what i really fear. The loss of so much history and continuity that made Star Trek the incredibly interesting production that it was. Then again, there's Khan. There were no eugenics wars on Earth in the 1990's and no freezer ships to send them into sub-light oblivion in. Although in this early part of our current century we do seem to have a heaping helping of egotistical nutcases who think they're superior to everyone else for one reason or another and want to start wars to prove it. So even though none of them happened to be named Khan Noonian Singh, some of them do fit his general discription rather well, disturbingly so. So maybe the Star Trek timeline was just off by ten years or so after all.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Orci is a fan though, right? He should know that an important part of Kirk's youth was being one of the surviving witnesses to Kodos the Executioner's existence.

As noted, this is an issue fan fic loves (14 year old pretty boy survives on planet amid chaos and death...stories written by smutty minded middle aged women...you can fill in the blanks). It would be nice to have a "canon" story that isn't so hard on poor little Jimmy.....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Lieutenant

Well if you stop and think about it, Kirk was 33 years at the time of the episode "Conscience of the King." Riley, a full Lieutenant was probably in his mid to late 20s... So let's say 26 to 29 making him not really that much younger than Kirk...

According to the STAR TREK Encyclopedia the incident on Tarsus IV took place in 2246, when Kirk was 13 (having been born in 2233)... Which if my assumption is correct would have made Riley somewhere between the ages of 6 to 9 at the same time..... Which is possible since Riley and Sulu were apparently friends and roughly the same age.... And since Sulu was born in 2237, he was 29 years old at the time in question.....
Old 05-12-2008, 03:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolFan2020 View Post
Well if you stop and think about it, Kirk was 33 years at the time of the episode "Conscience of the King." Riley, a full Lieutenant was probably in his mid to late 20s... So let's say 26 to 29 making him not really that much younger than Kirk...

According to the STAR TREK Encyclopedia the incident on Tarsus IV took place in 2246, when Kirk was 13 (having been born in 2233)... Which if my assumption is correct would have made Riley somewhere between the ages of 6 to 9 at the same time..... Which is possible since Riley and Sulu were apparently friends and roughly the same age.... And since Sulu was born in 2237, he was 29 years old at the time in question.....
Great points there Dol!

I allweays figure Riley was more like 8-9 year younger than Kirk (which I allways assumed was about 34 the frst season of TOS, but I could be wrong).

Sulu was freinds wiht everybody from the looks of things on TOS..lol..

I still say they are missing some great potential drama, this can practically write itself.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Orci is a fan though, right? He should know that an important part of Kirk's youth was being one of the surviving witnesses to Kodos the Executioner's existence.

As noted, this is an issue fan fic loves (14 year old pretty boy survives on planet amid chaos and death...stories written by smutty minded middle aged women...you can fill in the blanks). It would be nice to have a "canon" story that isn't so hard on poor little Jimmy.....
Hmmm I find "sumtty minded" middle aged women very compelling.... My wife fits right into that catagory!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Admiral

33 for Kirk jives with my math (he says he's 34 in The Deadly Years which aired the following season). Just based on what I know about kids and their memories, Riley can't be more than 8 or 9 years younger than Kirk and is more likely closer in age. Dr. Leighton seemed quite a bit older....

I'm with Zardoz, this pretty much writes itself and it would be a shame if they dodged the chance to explore how such a negative experience could have motivated Kirk in his career.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
33 for Kirk jives with my math (he says he's 34 in The Deadly Years which aired the following season). Just based on what I know about kids and their memories, Riley can't be more than 8 or 9 years younger than Kirk and is more likely closer in age. Dr. Leighton seemed quite a bit older.
After reading some more, I am going to agree with you. But I would think Riley is more distant in age from Kirk, say, 8-10 years. We know gifted students at the academy can get reach rank. Kirk and Savvik were both Lt. while still in the Academy. Riley could be one of those.

Quote:
I'm with Zardoz, this pretty much writes itself and it would be a shame if they dodged the chance to explore how such a negative experience could have motivated Kirk in his career.
Also, wouldn't have to be a long ,drawn out scene in order for it to work.

***Notices how Eliza dodged the middle age thing****
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Few people seem to grasp this point about Orci being steeped in TREK canon, no matter how often its mentioned here.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Few people seem to grasp this point about Orci being steeped in TREK canon, no matter how often its mentioned here.
That's the reason I think this film will not stray of the canon much, if at all.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Hmmm I find "sumtty minded" middle aged women very compelling.... My wife fits right into that catagory!
I wish i could find one that likes guys who look like a cross between Ebeneezer Scrooge and Frankenstein's monster. Perhaps there's a nice blind woman somewhere who likes to smoke cigars and plays the violin.