The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Fear of what could be...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'd go along with a bad story being the one thing which would ruin the new film for me.

On the other hand, I choose not to approach Abrams' film with fear at all. This is a great creative opportunity for him and the entire crew. I'm not going to enter the theater with a worry that one specific thing might ruin the film for me.

Exploration of this new adventure will be my mission next May.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
yes please....the problem is I'm struggling to find proper ways of defining what specific changes would make the Enterprise not the enterprise..I know it when I see it. As I suspect most of us do.
For me, this kind of statement is ridiculous. How do you make a movie for someone with that kind of thinking. Life is change and since ST isn't real life, I would think its subject to change even more. I believe deep down people want this to work. I would even go so far as to say everyone on this forum wants it to work. I am not saying to like it even if you don't, but making broad sweeping generalizations like "I'll know it when I see it," is very one sided; not to mention... self-righteous.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Actually, aside from the awful "phaser turrets"... I kinda like the design! It might not be a good version of the Enterprise, but as another Starfleet ship, I think it would be perfectly acceptable.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Rear Admiral

why does the enterprise have nipples on the nacelles?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
why does the enterprise have nipples on the nacelles?
So James T. Kirk can pinch them... He he he!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Hummm... "deal breakers"... Well, if they dumbed the whole thing down, I think that would p*ss me off a lot. If it became just an action flick with warp nacelles welded on the side of it.

If there weren't any babes in evidence, I think I'd get pretty bored too.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Sir nums... because the original pilot version of the Enterprice had them. In fact, in the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" they've actualy pulled one of them and have it in the briefing room... (or at least part of one) They were eliminated after the pilot because having shuch a thin detail sticking out caused matting problems. If you watch the orbital "flyby" of the E in the original titles, you see them.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Sir nums... because the original pilot version of the Enterprice had them. In fact, in the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" they've actualy pulled one of them and have it in the briefing room... (or at least part of one) They were eliminated after the pilot because having shuch a thin detail sticking out caused matting problems. If you watch the orbital "flyby" of the E in the original titles, you see them.
You sure can see the "Nipples of the Enterprsie" on that flyby~!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Vice Admiral

Well, it's very cold in space, you know....

Old 05-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
For me, this kind of statement is ridiculous. How do you make a movie for someone with that kind of thinking. Life is change and since ST isn't real life, I would think its subject to change even more. I believe deep down people want this to work. I would even go so far as to say everyone on this forum wants it to work. I am not saying to like it even if you don't, but making broad sweeping generalizations like "I'll know it when I see it," is very one sided; not to mention... self-righteous.
Dude, chill, I simply meant that I can't give you specifics such as if the nacelles aren't 3 and a quarter of a foot out from the saucer section I will BE TOTALLY PISSED! which seems to be the kind of details you are looking for.

As I have stated before. I want the USS Enterprise to look like a Constitution Class Ship with the defining characteristics of a constitution class ship I don't care if its a little darker or a little shinier, but it has to have...the gold sensor dish for example...proper engine mounts...It has to be the approximate relative scale of the one seen in TOS. Things of that nature. If you want a point by point description, fine, but I really would rather not get into it. You and I both know what a Constitution class ship looks like, we're both Trek fans, and I'm sure you could tell the NCC1701 from the NCC1701 A,B,C, or D.

When I see the Ncc1701 on the big screen I don't want to see something that looks like the A,B,C, or D. I won't be able to tell you if it looks right until I see it because frankly I'm not on the design team. I don't know what changes they've made or how drastic they are. From the trailer, the saucer section looked just fine and the partially completed engines were ok too. Of course that only gives us part of the picture. So I CAN'T give you any more detail then I have, having no basis for comparison.

Of course I want this film to succeed. We all do, that's why we're on this board. but if suddenly every image of the enterprise produced over the past 40 years is declared canonically incorrect because of changes we see in the prequilic film THAT WILL PISS ME OFF.

That's all I'm saying, you wanted my opinion so there it is. I really don't know what else to tell you.

and I think your wrong because ST isn't real life it can change or remain constant at the whim of it's creators.

sheesh

Last edited by radoskal : 05-08-2008 at 02:34 PM.