The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Remember when Starlog was good?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Default Remember when Starlog was good?

I was just going through some boxes of old magazines the other day, and came across my collection of early Starlogs. Remember when this magazine was really good? There were columns by writers like Gerrold, and they had that great SPFX series, and some really good articles and listing of upcoming conventions...

What happened to it? It seems like around the time it reached triple digits, (issue #100) the whole thing went down the disposal. They started having those awful montage covers, and blurbs like "I want to have Spock's love child!"

To me, the difference is like night and day.

I remember seeing the first issue I ever bought, Issue #2, sitting on a news stand when I was a kid, and just thought it was the greatest thing to happen to me since Famous Monsters. Then, four issues later, Star Wars hit the theatres and every magazine that could slap a photo from the movie on it's cover was selling like GTA 4 on opening day.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Yep, the late 70's was Starlog's golden moment!!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I think I'm going to frame a few of those old issues... #3, (with the Mad Magazine style art cover) #7 (the first Star Wars cover... the issue that changed my life, really) and #18 (The Hollywood Halloween cover... this one got me involved in doing haunted houses in October... and I still do them, to a small extent)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I think I'm going to frame a few of those old issues... #3, (with the Mad Magazine style art cover) #7 (the first Star Wars cover... the issue that changed my life, really) and #18 (The Hollywood Halloween cover... this one got me involved in doing haunted houses in October... and I still do them, to a small extent)
Famous Monsters was pretty damn good too.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
. . . and #18 (The Hollywood Halloween cover... this one got me involved in doing haunted houses in October... and I still do them, to a small extent)
Greetings from a fellow haunter!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Vice Admiral

Howdy, Mission! How long have you been at this sort of Halloween madness?

(At my height, I was designer for "Castle of Fear" in Denver. It took up half of an ortherwise deserted K-Mart building, and saw about 19,000 people each season. These days, I just do smaller, local fundraiser-type haunts, usually to benefit the local universities' theatre fraternity.)

Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Lieutenant

I too loved Starlog back in the 70's.
Remember, there before the Net, and living in the heart of the MidWest, it was about the only way we got Sci-Fi info
And yeah, it now panders to the ignorant
Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I was just going through some boxes of old magazines the other day, and came across my collection of early Starlogs. Remember when this magazine was really good? There were columns by writers like Gerrold, and they had that great SPFX series, and some really good articles and listing of upcoming conventions...

What happened to it? It seems like around the time it reached triple digits, (issue #100) the whole thing went down the disposal. They started having those awful montage covers, and blurbs like "I want to have Spock's love child!"

To me, the difference is like night and day.

I remember seeing the first issue I ever bought, Issue #2, sitting on a news stand when I was a kid, and just thought it was the greatest thing to happen to me since Famous Monsters. Then, four issues later, Star Wars hit the theatres and every magazine that could slap a photo from the movie on it's cover was selling like GTA 4 on opening day.

That's when Sci Fi was great...and our imaginations were being peaked...I miss those days.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

To address Starlog first, I think in its earlier days it was much more of a magazine for fans... a great fulfiller of what the internet does now for fans. Today's such mags seem more marketing publications from the top down, rather than read/written/published by/for fans from the bottom up. Makes a big difference in attitude and intent.

As for haunting: I've been doing it on smaller than bigger scales for 20+ years, starting first just dressing up my front lawn with more elaborate (and different) designs each year. I did that until I couldn't set up the displays without taking off a ton of work time, and joined up with a local haunt in 1991.

This was a very elaborate fund-raising haunt at a local park/rec building, and I was a monster for a couple years before I started suggesting story ideas. Quickly I became the show writer and did that through various incarnations of the show up until 2006.

I was also a Knott's Scary Farm monster for one year at their giant haunt event in 2004.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Federation Councillor

[quote=MissionTrek08;50165]To address Starlog first, I think in its earlier days it was much more of a magazine for fans... a great fulfiller of what the internet does now for fans. Today's such mags seem more marketing publications from the top down, rather than read/written/published by/for fans from the bottom up. Makes a big difference in attitude and intent.[quote]

Alot of truth there. Now that you mention it, many magazines of the era were geared more toawrds their audiences than making a quick buck.

Seem great magazines are another victim of the internet.