The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > odo.. the idiot ?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Midshipman

Default odo.. the idiot ?

on the epsisode (sorry cant remember the name ) when odo and quark are trapped on the snowy planet and have to get the reciever to the top of the mountain they have ration packs. now as i understand it odo dosent need food and just recahrges every 16 hours but yet he still eats his ration pack therfore limiting quarks food amount . while they are climbing this mountain odo also breaks his leg, now being a changeling wouldent he just un-brake it ????

this is the worst inconsistency ive found in star trek but there may be some kind of explanation. does any one know one ?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Commander

This was in the period when Odo had his shapeshifting abilities taken away so he had to do things like eat and sleep.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsie666 View Post
on the epsisode (sorry cant remember the name ) when odo and quark are trapped on the snowy planet and have to get the reciever to the top of the mountain they have ration packs. now as i understand it odo dosent need food and just recahrges every 16 hours but yet he still eats his ration pack therfore limiting quarks food amount . while they are climbing this mountain odo also breaks his leg, now being a changeling wouldent he just un-brake it ????

this is the worst inconsistency ive found in star trek but there may be some kind of explanation. does any one know one ?
He could have, like Data might have, just pretended to "eat" to put Quark at ease, or it could just be bad writing.

But I think Y-Crewman is right, this was during his "no shape shifting" phase.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Lieutenant

he was a Solid at the time, otherwise the episode would have only been 5 minutes long
Old 05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Commander

Very true. He does spend a little time complaining that if he hadn't been a solid, he could just change into some kind of bird and fly up the mountain.

Incidentally, I think the episode is called "The Ascent."
Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
He could have, like Data might have, just pretended to "eat" to put Quark at ease, or it could just be bad writing.

But I think Y-Crewman is right, this was during his "no shape shifting" phase.
Yeah, when he was a changeling that's exactly what he did. I remember him explaining it to someone, he'd create a drink in his hand, drink it and then it'd be reintegrated into his body, but regardless, that episode on the mountain was a time when he was indeed solid. I found it confusing too, cause I missed the episode where he was transformed to a solid by the founders. Kinda confusing that part if you miss an episode!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Yeah, when he was a changeling that's exactly what he did. I remember him explaining it to someone, he'd create a drink in his hand, drink it and then it'd be reintegrated into his body, but regardless, that episode on the mountain was a time when he was indeed solid. I found it confusing too, cause I missed the episode where he was transformed to a solid by the founders. Kinda confusing that part if you miss an episode!
That season if you missed one, it was hell to catch up. It was a good storyline, but you had to be right on top of it.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Which season was that?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1THGfan View Post
Which season was that?
I have no idea, there was 7 of them....

Edit: It was Season 5 according to Ex Astris Scientia, http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/episodes/ds95.htm

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 05-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsie666 View Post

Odo was not only solid during this episode, but was given the physiology of a human. In the episodes where he was solid he even has a slightly different look to him. His skin color is more human and his hair isn't as fake looking (slicked back). The founders gave him the same featured face in order to disgrace him and to serve as a reminder of what he had lost. Good story. DS9 kicked a**