The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Wine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Default Wine

So who out there's a wine fan? I like the Italians and French wines quite a bit. It's tough to choose, there are so many, but I'd say my favorite white is an Italian called Orvieto and favorite red is a French called Chateauneuf du Pape.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Rear Admiral

I like cheese with my "whine".

I tried a red wine once, but did not like it.

Then I tried a white wine, it was much better. I guess the Olive Garden is not the best place to test wine.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm hardly a wine connoisseur but I do enjoy a good wine occasionally. A few years back friends and I took a trip up the CA coast to tour some wine country and found some very good local wineries.

Generally I don't like wine too dry, and like reds and whites, etc. My good friend knows much more about wine than I ever will, so she'll often make suggestions when she finds a new favorite. It's a great way for me to learn without spending $$$ trying out a bunch of unknowns.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'm hardly a wine connoisseur but I do enjoy a good wine occasionally. A few years back friends and I took a trip up the CA coast to tour some wine country and found some very good local wineries.
I'd love to do that sometime! Ever see Sideways, pretty funny movie.

Quote:
Generally I don't like wine too dry, and like reds and whites, etc. My good friend knows much more about wine than I ever will, so she'll often make suggestions when she finds a new favorite. It's a great way for me to learn without spending $$$ trying out a bunch of unknowns.
I'm not too big a fan of dry wine either, actually one I do like that is super sweet is called gerwertztraminer strangely though it's the late harvest that's sweet, the rest of it is really dry.

I hear what you're saying about spending $ and trying out different wines. A friend of mine and I got into wine while in college on a trip to Italy, but we were mostly just drinking and partying, when we got back we started getting into it. There was a class offered we took in college, it was interesting, got to taste all sorts of stuff.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I'm partial to white Zinfendels, and Rothchilds, myself... Although really, I'm not what you would call a wine snob. (I still have a couple of cases of "two buck Chuck" out in the garage that I use for informal parties.) I do keep a couple bottles of good, full bodied port and merlot for more intimate get togethers.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I'd love to do that sometime! Ever see Sideways, pretty funny movie.
Indeed, enjoyed the film very much. Then again, I dig Giamatti's work in nearly every film.

Quote:
I'm not too big a fan of dry wine either, actually one I do like that is super sweet is called gerwertztraminer strangely though it's the late harvest that's sweet, the rest of it is really dry.
We found a really good port on that trip, more of a dessert wine but not overly sweet. When I make a discoverly like that, I save the empty bottle as a reminder... fills out my otherwise often empty mini-rack!

Quote:
I hear what you're saying about spending $ and trying out different wines. A friend of mine and I got into wine while in college on a trip to Italy, but we were mostly just drinking and partying, when we got back we started getting into it. There was a class offered we took in college, it was interesting, got to taste all sorts of stuff.
A BevMo store (Beverages & More) recently opened near me, which I hear is an excellent source of top-rated wines of all different price ranges, but always a good price for any range. Look forward to an occasion which will prompt a shopping trip there. Though after a day like today, I could use a good bottle to chill out!

At any rate, BevMo offers handy wine ratings which takes a good deal of guesswork out of a purchase. The purchase may or may not become a favorite, but you're not buying totally blind on quality at least.

Cheers, fans!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I'm partial to white Zinfendels, and Rothchilds, myself... Although really, I'm not what you would call a wine snob. (I still have a couple of cases of "two buck Chuck" out in the garage that I use for informal parties.) I do keep a couple bottles of good, full bodied port and merlot for more intimate get togethers.
Fan, what kind of ports do you like? The best one I've tried is called Seppelt, it was a more tawny one. Also tried the Churchill's once but don't remember it that well, I think it was sweeter.

Quote:
We found a really good port on that trip, more of a dessert wine but not overly sweet. When I make a discoverly like that, I save the empty bottle as a reminder... fills out my otherwise often empty mini-rack!
Yeah I like port as I was telling fan, I really like it when it's cold out so drink it more in the winter. I find the ratings pretty helpful too, especially when spending a little money on a bottle. Do you remember the port you had?

Last edited by Livingston : 05-06-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Fan, what kind of ports do you like? The best one I've tried is called Seppelt, it was a more tawny one. Also tried the Churchill's once but don't remember it that well, I think it was sweeter.

Yeah I like port as I was telling fan, I really like it when it's cold out so drink it more in the winter. I find the ratings pretty helpful too, especially when spending a little money on a bottle. Do you remember the port you had?
Partial to cabernet sauvignon, myself though merlot will do, in a pinch - and, of course, chianti when I'm making lasagna or chicken parmesian...

As a side remark, many 'new' drinkers of wine prefer the whites; once the palate has become accustomed to reds, however, the whites seem too 'sharp' unless taken with a food that mutes them. To that end, I highly suggest; STAY WITH WHITE as long as possible - once your palate shifts, you'll never be able to enjoy white quite the same.

As for port wines - Canada makes many nice Ports, and were I true-'red' patriot, I'd be expounding them. However, as nice as many of our wines are, when it comes to Port, I stick with the definition of a Port Wine; Portuguese. Just as no whiskey is a Scotch unless it's from Scotland, nor a 'sparkling wine' anything else except for that from the Champagne region of France, likewise Port. Sweet as it is, I find it makes both a good apertif as it's designated function as a 'dessert' wine... and, best of all, it goes well indeed with a good Cuban.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Captain

Ah, the nectar of the gods! I recommend 1-2 glasses daily. Doesn't have to be red- any alcohol will raise your good cholesterol, put off the onset of heart disease, and reduce the chance of type II diabetes.
My choice is always red. Love cabs. My fav French region is Languedoc- a rather dry region in the south of France that produces very dense flavor-full wines. In Italy: Montepulciano from Tuscany.
From Israel: Rothschild and Carmel.
I don't know a lot about port wine but I agree that it goes best with a cigar and a chocolate souflee. Then again, everything goes better with chocolate souflee.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
Partial to cabernet sauvignon, myself though merlot will do, in a pinch - and, of course, chianti when I'm making lasagna or chicken parmesian...

As a side remark, many 'new' drinkers of wine prefer the whites; once the palate has become accustomed to reds, however, the whites seem too 'sharp' unless taken with a food that mutes them. To that end, I highly suggest; STAY WITH WHITE as long as possible - once your palate shifts, you'll never be able to enjoy white quite the same.

As for port wines - Canada makes many nice Ports, and were I true-'red' patriot, I'd be expounding them. However, as nice as many of our wines are, when it comes to Port, I stick with the definition of a Port Wine; Portuguese. Just as no whiskey is a Scotch unless it's from Scotland, nor a 'sparkling wine' anything else except for that from the Champagne region of France, likewise Port. Sweet as it is, I find it makes both a good apertif as it's designated function as a 'dessert' wine... and, best of all, it goes well indeed with a good Cuban.
I hear you on the white wines, I'd say my palate's already shifted. I drink reds far more. I do like pinot gris, pinot grigio, riesling, orvieto and gerwertztraminer though, whenever I go for a white.

I'll have to try some Canadian ports sometime and it does indeed go well with a cigar! I'll tell you a good line of wines are the Coppola wines, they're really pretty good, his cabernet, claret, pinot noir, malbec and shiraz are bang on! I haven't tried many of his whites though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Ah, the nectar of the gods! I recommend 1-2 glasses daily. Doesn't have to be red- any alcohol will raise your good cholesterol, put off the onset of heart disease, and reduce the chance of type II diabetes.
My choice is always red. Love cabs. My fav French region is Languedoc- a rather dry region in the south of France that produces very dense flavor-full wines. In Italy: Montepulciano from Tuscany.
From Israel: Rothschild and Carmel.
I don't know a lot about port wine but I agree that it goes best with a cigar and a chocolate souflee. Then again, everything goes better with chocolate souflee.
Languedoc is a good wine. I had one not too long ago. very full bodied! Also like Montepulciano quite a bit. Have you ever had Valpolicella? It's from further north, near Verona. Really smooth. I haven't tried any wines from Israel, I'll have to check it out. Rothschild, is that the same label that deals with alot upper end French wines?

Last edited by Livingston : 05-06-2008 at 05:07 PM.