The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Taking baby to first Vaccines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Commander

Default Taking baby to first Vaccines

On the 7th, I don't really know what to expect after her vaccines. I am also a bit scared to , for her, she is so small, those shots hurt as I recall and cause fever some times. Man I felt bad when I gave them to my dogs myself, Now I will be the one holding my own baby eek
Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Captain

My son is 22 months old but I still remember his first shots at 2 months old. I kept telling myself that this would be far from the worst thing he'd ever have to go through in his life but it didn't provide much comfort. Truth of the matter is that both shots were over in 10 seconds, he got 2 cute Elmo band-aids on his thighs (there's a lot of fat there to cushion the blow) and the screaming and crying was minimal. He cried too, but for less than half a minute.
Fever is rare, one day at most and beyond that I don't think her discomfort will be any more than anything else she is experiencing (hunger, gas, etc...). The good news is that everything else you'll have to face becomes easier with each passing milestone. How 'bout posting some pics of the little trekette?
Good luck!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Ensign

The shots are worse on the parents! We know what is coming and get all worked up waiting for the sting. My little Tribble is 18 months old and every nurse that has given him shots has been efficient and quick. Vuedoc is right: 10 seconds, tops & thank God for fat thighs! You may feel a lump at the injection sight, but its normal. Your pediatrician will tell you what to watch out for. The main thing is don't treat getting shots like its the worst thing in the world, particularly when your little one is old enough to pick up on your "vibe". Good luck, relax and enjoy the motherhood ride!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Admiral

The early shots aren't that bad...it's the one year shots that suck... I believe my daughter got 8 that round...you can just imagine how happy that was...

As has been suggested: distract the kid with stuff when it happens so there's no negative feelings....in my family, I'm the go to work parent and my husband stays home, he's a wuss... he hates shots and he's translated that to our daughter...I'm playing "makeup" now, trying to get her to recognize that they don't really hurt.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Federation Councillor

The great part of being a Grandparent, you don;t have to go through that...again...lol.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Considering the bad things these shots prevent, I say it's worth it. A small short pain to prevent long and heavy pain.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Commander

thanks, for all your suport. I will tell you guys all about it after the appointment
Here is apic of her this past Sunday at a babtism we went to
Old 05-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Lieutenant Commander

as a parent with an autistic spectrum disorder, may I suggest that you tell the pediatrician to skip the vaccines with the preservatives in them. They HAVE been linked to autism. Don't let them tell you otherwise. And space them out for as long as possible.

Also, I learned this from experience, bring your baby asprin with you and give it to her (no more that 0.6 mL) about a half an hour before the appointment. That way, there will be less soreness afterward.

It's heart wrenching to see your baby wince at being stuck and the resultant bawling.

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Admiral

aww....she's adorable! I was under the impression that all perservatives have been removed from vaccines for some years....

My daughter never needed medication. There was rarely any pain, really, it's more a scary experience (stranger with needle approaching). Of course, you need to do what feels right, but I'd wait and see if she has any problems once she's over the nasty surprise. Ask your doctor what to do for her if she has pain at the injection site and/or fever.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Captain

Trekie- she's so cute!