The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Transwarp Drive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Ensign

I don't know if they ever stop working on the Tech, as in Voyager Season 2 Episode "Threshold" Tom Breaks the Warp 10 barrier and uses transwrap as stated in the show, so at least they still had the research and schematics in the database.

And Yes there where side effects to transwarp and the Warp 10 barrier, as you would be everywhere and anytime all at once
Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTrekFan View Post
I don't know if they ever stop working on the Tech, as in Voyager Season 2 Episode "Threshold" Tom Breaks the Warp 10 barrier and uses transwrap as stated in the show, so at least they still had the research and schematics in the database.

And Yes there where side effects to transwarp and the Warp 10 barrier, as you would be everywhere and anytime all at once
I allways felt it was desperation to try and get home, so they'd try anything.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Rear Admiral

Makes sense. However, I think transwarp drive is something the Federation isn't ready for at the moment.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Makes sense. However, I think transwarp drive is something the Federation isn't ready for at the moment.
Agreed. I think the "time travel drive" will get perfected before Transwarp.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Why would the Federation call it a failure? I mean, before knowing about what Scotty did to it, that's understandable, but after the Federation found out it was was Scott who took out the components to it, why wouldn't they attempt to test it again? I mean, it wasn't a failure. Scott just prevented it from working.

To be honest, there is no way of knowing wither it was a failure or not, because it never was given the chance to be used after Excelsior persued Enterprise. If I were Commander Starfleet, I would recommend another try of the Transwarp Drive, and this time make sure no one sabotaged it.
The leading theory about the original 23rd-Century attempt at transwarp drive was that it didn't fail due to Scotty's sabotage of the Excelsior, but that it simply didn't work as planned in later field tests. All Scotty did was remove a few critical computer chips that were easily replaced.

The earliest recollection I have about transwarp being considered a failure was with "Encounter At Farpoint," in which the Enterprise-D was considered to be maxing out at Warp 9.6. It was once believed--back in "the day"--that transwarp speed was any velocity from Warp 11 to Warp 20.

It wasn't until later that we heard that the warp scale had been recalibrated for TNG in which Warp 1 was the speed of light and Warp 10 was infinite velocity. The TNG Technical Manual was where it was first actually said that the original Transwarp Development Project failed, but that lessons learned from it was what led to the uprated TNG warp scale.

VOY's "Threshold" was really what put the nail in the idea that the original TDP failed when it was pretty much stated that one of the Voyager's shuttlecraft was making the first successful transwarp flight...
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It was my understanding that later tests by the Excelsior proved unsuccessful, which had nothing to do with Scotty's tampering. After which it was fitted with a conventional (albeit, likely still superior to the 1701-A's) Warp Drive and put into regular service.

Trek confused the Transwarp issue more, though, when they introduced the Borg "Transwarp" conduits; clearly achieving speeds that exceeded conventional Warp Drive, but definately not infinite velecity. The way I eventually decided to think of it was that "Transwarp" (capitalized) at some point came to be used as a term for infinite velocity, or Warp 10 (the 24th-century's version of our "light speed" limitation). Whereas "transwarp", or perhaps "trans-warp", is a generic term for any method of propulsion that uses subspace and exceeds conventional Cochrane-inspired Warp physics. The Borg conduits (though I imagine somebody else originally constructed the network), and Quantum Slipstream are both examples of the latter. Given the choice, I'd probably take Slipstream; at least it has the advantage of not requiring existing conduits, evidenced by the fact of its higher structural integrity requirements. I'd like to see the Borg try to get to the Andromeda Galaxy using their conduits.

I'm not sure what the 29th-century mode of simultaneous propulsion/temporal displacement would be called; but probably not transwarp. And Daniel's 31st-century equipment seemed to function almost like an Iconian Gateway.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron : 05-06-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Rear Admiral

I wonder if Section 31 might know exactly what the deal is with Transwarp drive?

Fans Expendable
Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I wonder if Section 31 might know exactly what the deal is with Transwarp drive?
No, but I am sure they have an Iconian portal...lol..
Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Rear Admiral

I'm sure they have so much...we need more novels based on them!

Fans Expendable
Old 05-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I'm sure they have so much...we need more novels based on them!
Iconian portals, or Section 31?