The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > what constitutes a troll 'round these parts?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow. People actually take it that seriously?

Wow, I say again!
Yep; it appears so! Another thing, I've often seen posters mercilessly slammed for spelling and grammatical errors - even though doing so has zero, nada, zip bearing on the thread at hand. For me, I post for the fun of interacting with other like minded fans, and couldn't give rats *** about my spelling and grammar! I just bang in my posts and hit submit.

www.thepolice.com
Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

WOW!!! (I say it louder.) Have a nice day!

(I love that girl. She's someone I would love to have a totally meanigless weekend in a Vegas hotel room with.)

Yeah, people taking fictional stuff too seriously is something that should show up on Lewis Black's "Root of all evil." It's almost worse than trolls. Look at the kind of tradgedy that takes place when you lose touch with reality: Heaven's Gate, the Manson Family, and, I can't remember the name of it, but there was a japanese doomsday cult that tried to gas a subway system a few years ago. I'm part of a subculture that also has it's own "sad b*stards" (as my UK friends say) They actually think that the John Norman "Gor" novels are the way you should conduct your life. You think klingons are bad? Just wait until you say something the tiniest bit wrong in a Gor forum somewhere. You'd better be wearing Tony Starks armor!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post
Without wishing to be at all disparaging to any who enjoy the Trek BBS; a lot of the posters there can be really quite haughty and aloof - sneering at the "lower ranks" for daring to happen upon their often silly cyber-clique, which they take waaay too seriously sometimes! I kid you not, I was once castigated by an "admiral" who, rather than address my actual post/opinion, preferred to "pull rank" with a "who cares about your theory, ensign" type comment. It was beyond sad! I don't post there often.
Wow, they must take their posting totals pretty seriously. That's really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
People with inferiority complexes like that are really irritating. Here's a favorite story of mine that has been around for many years in one form or another:

Plowing at night through rough, foggy seas, a battleship’s radar suddenly indicates an object directly in its path. The ship’s captain sends a radio signal, “We are on a collision course. Advise you to change course 10 degrees north.”

A response crackles over the radio: “Negative. We advise you to change course 10 degrees south.”

The captain can now see a blinking light from the approaching object. Perturbed, he bellows a reply: “I’m a ship’s captain. Change course 10 degrees north, now!”

“I’m a seaman second class,” comes the reply. “Advise that you change course 10 degrees south to avoid imminent collision.”

The captain is furious. He blurts another command: “This is a battleship! Change your course immediately!”

Back comes the calm reply: “This is a lighthouse.”

The battleship changed course.
That's good!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 05-04-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Seriously, trolling is really just when you post for the sole purpose of picking a fight or arguing with a specific poster.
But sometimes that's fun. Oh yeah, and about the whole pathetic "pulling rank" thing, it's the quality of the posts, not quantity. Anyone can write 5,000 posts that have like, "Yes, that's cool" and "I'm a fangirl squee". Even if we've all been guilty of doing so, including myself...hey! I wanna be a lieutenant dammit!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:43 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
Seriously, trolling is really just when you post for the sole purpose of picking a fight or arguing with a specific poster.
But sometimes that's fun.
Not if you're the one being trolled, though.

The difference between a genuine debate or argument and trolling is that a troll really just wants to be insult someone or a particular group of people. An example of trolling would be someone who starts a thread like "Why old Star Trek fans no longer matter" or "Why JJ Abrams sucks [INSERT EXPLETIVE]." Trolls are almost always hostile and will resort to using abusive language very quickly.

I don't find anything fun about that, but that's just me.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and about the whole pathetic "pulling rank" thing, it's the quality of the posts, not quantity. Anyone can write 5,000 posts that have like, "Yes, that's cool" and "I'm a fangirl squee". Even if we've all been guilty of doing so, including myself...hey! I wanna be a lieutenant dammit!
There's definitely truth to that. I'm registered at nearly a dozen different message boards, and I can pinpoint those who are really just posting to rack up a high post count. I've seen quite a few people over at trekbbs and other websites acquire 10,000 posts or more in just a few months.

Doesn't impress me much.

But on the flipside, you also have people who genuinely like to comment on a lot of things, and do contribute to an actual discussion. Those are the ones that I figure are people who just like to talk a lot in real life...
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Not if you're the one being trolled, though.

The difference between a genuine debate or argument and trolling is that a troll really just wants to be insult someone or a particular group of people. An example of trolling would be someone who starts a thread like "Why old Star Trek fans no longer matter" or "Why JJ Abrams sucks [INSERT EXPLETIVE]." Trolls are almost always hostile and will resort to using abusive language very quickly.

I don't find anything fun about that, but that's just me.

There's definitely truth to that. I'm registered at nearly a dozen different message boards, and I can pinpoint those who are really just posting to rack up a high post count. I've seen quite a few people over at trekbbs and other websites acquire 10,000 posts or more in just a few months.

Doesn't impress me much.

But on the flipside, you also have people who genuinely like to comment on a lot of things, and do contribute to an actual discussion. Those are the ones that I figure are people who just like to talk a lot in real life...
Like myself for example?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Like myself for example?
Some people just have the "gift of gab."

I generally consider myself more of a listener than anything else...
Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Some people just have the "gift of gab."

I generally consider myself more of a listener than anything else...
Nice and tactful there Commodore!!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
WOW!!! (I say it louder.) Have a nice day!
AHHH!, the Progressive Lady...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
AHHH!, the Progressive Lady...
Nums, I have to ask, do you remeber the 80's?