The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > what constitutes a troll 'round these parts?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default what constitutes a troll 'round these parts?

At TrekBBS, even though I talked about Star Trek a lot, I think it was the amount of posts I made that flagged me as a troll.

Hopefully I've demonstrated an ability to censor myself and quote lines from the shows/movies appropriately enough.

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Without wishing to be at all disparaging to any who enjoy the Trek BBS; a lot of the posters there can be really quite haughty and aloof - sneering at the "lower ranks" for daring to happen upon their often silly cyber-clique, which they take waaay too seriously sometimes! I kid you not, I was once castigated by an "admiral" who, rather than address my actual post/opinion, preferred to "pull rank" with a "who cares about your theory, ensign" type comment. It was beyond sad! I don't post there often.

www.thepolice.com
Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Rear Admiral

You can spot a troll fairly easy--they look like this:

Seriously, trolling is really just when you post for the sole purpose of picking a fight or arguing with a specific poster. It's not the same as a genuine debate when two people have opposing viewpoints over a subject of interest, although such arguments frequently get personal once the word "you" start being thrown around...

I'm also registered over at trekbbs--I'm a rear admiral over there--and I always thought it was silly (and bad form) when someone tries to "pull rank" on another poster. Post counts doesn't mean squat--it definitely isn't an indication of authority--it just means you've been there for awhile, or you're someone who likes to talk about all sorts of things, or you're simply a master spammer.

A lot of stuff that goes on at trekbbs is just typical internet message board crap that everyone eventually comes across if you've been on the 'net long enough. It helps to have a thick skin, but it's not easy, I know...
Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post
Without wishing to be at all disparaging to any who enjoy the Trek BBS; a lot of the posters there can be really quite haughty and aloof - sneering at the "lower ranks" for daring to happen upon their often silly cyber-clique, which they take waaay too seriously sometimes! I kid you not, I was once castigated by an "admiral" who, rather than address my actual post/opinion, preferred to "pull rank" with a "who cares about your theory, ensign" type comment. It was beyond sad! I don't post there often.
People with inferiority complexes like that are really irritating. Here's a favorite story of mine that has been around for many years in one form or another:

Plowing at night through rough, foggy seas, a battleship’s radar suddenly indicates an object directly in its path. The ship’s captain sends a radio signal, “We are on a collision course. Advise you to change course 10 degrees north.”

A response crackles over the radio: “Negative. We advise you to change course 10 degrees south.”

The captain can now see a blinking light from the approaching object. Perturbed, he bellows a reply: “I’m a ship’s captain. Change course 10 degrees north, now!”

“I’m a seaman second class,” comes the reply. “Advise that you change course 10 degrees south to avoid imminent collision.”

The captain is furious. He blurts another command: “This is a battleship! Change your course immediately!”

Back comes the calm reply: “This is a lighthouse.”

The battleship changed course.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
You can spot a troll fairly easy--they look like this:

Seriously, trolling is really just when you post for the sole purpose of picking a fight or arguing with a specific poster. It's not the same as a genuine debate when two people have opposing viewpoints over a subject of interest, although such arguments frequently get personal once the word "you" start being thrown around...

I'm also registered over at trekbbs--I'm a rear admiral over there--and I always thought it was silly (and bad form) when someone tries to "pull rank" on another poster. Post counts doesn't mean squat--it definitely isn't an indication of authority--it just means you've been there for awhile, or you're someone who likes to talk about all sorts of things, or you're simply a master spammer.

A lot of stuff that goes on at trekbbs is just typical internet message board crap that everyone eventually comes across if you've been on the 'net long enough. It helps to have a thick skin, but it's not easy, I know...
Spot on, Commodore - good post.

www.thepolice.com
Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPQ View Post
At TrekBBS, even though I talked about Star Trek a lot, I think it was the amount of posts I made that flagged me as a troll.

Hopefully I've demonstrated an ability to censor myself and quote lines from the shows/movies appropriately enough.
That is what a "Troll" is?

I had an idea that a Troll was a person that did not censor them selves, or basically said what ever they wanted to with out any regard for others. OK, so that I already knew...

But, I thought what also made a person a Troll was how they just post to make a post. Just finding any active thread and making a post to respond, sometimes over and over and no real conversation was ever really done.

Sadly, I did that back in FEB when I was medicated from having my wisdom teeth removed. lol, I blame the meds, and not my boredom on that.

Also, I thought a Troll was a person that just creates a new thread with out searching for a similar subject, and then asks the same question or makes the same statement for the 100th time.

So, MPQ... I do not see you as a Troll. Just do not do what I did a couple of months back or what a couple of people are doing now... Do not post to just see your words on the web or too make sure you were the last person to post on that thread (last word syndrome). It turns other posters away.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Oh, the usual... if you get on a thread and derail it, or deliberately attack someone... or start spewing hate speech. Luckily, not much of that happens 'round these parts...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Plowing at night through rough, foggy seas, a battleship’s radar suddenly indicates an object directly in its path. The ship’s captain sends a radio signal, “We are on a collision course. Advise you to change course 10 degrees north.”

A response crackles over the radio: “Negative. We advise you to change course 10 degrees south.”

The captain can now see a blinking light from the approaching object. Perturbed, he bellows a reply: “I’m a ship’s captain. Change course 10 degrees north, now!”

“I’m a seaman second class,” comes the reply. “Advise that you change course 10 degrees south to avoid imminent collision.”

The captain is furious. He blurts another command: “This is a battleship! Change your course immediately!”

Back comes the calm reply: “This is a lighthouse.”

The battleship changed course.
I like that a lot; I'll quote it in the future if you don't mind!

www.thepolice.com
Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Not so sure about your definition, Sir nums. A lot of that can be attributed to innocent mistakes by newbies, not the deliberate nastiness of a troll. I think that's the defining characteristic of a troll: they're just here to "stir up sh*t."

Glad to hear you are feeling better after having the dental work. (I did that two years ago, and it was NOT fun.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post
Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow. People actually take it that seriously?

Wow, I say again!