The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Building an old sci-fi classic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Speaking of which, wasn't she married to him at one point?
I'm not sure...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Oh, yeah, and Floyd the Barber from Mayberry was in it too as a Congressman. What was his name?

Funny thing about the kit's box art though... I seem to recall the Seaview having more prow windows than that... didn't they change it after the first season or something?

Does the kit give you the option to build it as the movie version, or the TV?

And who's putting it out? Polar Lights? How much is the kit, anyway?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Oh, yeah, and Floyd the Barber from Mayberry was in it too as a Congressman. What was his name?

Funny thing about the kit's box art though... I seem to recall the Seaview having more prow windows than that... didn't they change it after the first season or something?

Does the kit give you the option to build it as the movie version, or the TV?

And who's putting it out? Polar Lights? How much is the kit, anyway?

Yeah, the first season which was in black and white, I believe had 8 windows. Starting with the second season, they did some major changes. The 8 windows were reduced to the 4 you seen on the box art. The observation deck in the nose was removed and the control room was moved to there. A hangar was placed in the nose under the control room to house the flying sub. Also two sonar domes were added on the port and starboard sides of the bow.

If you want a model of the movie version with the old 8 window configuration, polar lights did release a reissue of the old 13 inch long Aurora kit of the Seaview.

As for this 39 inch kit it's about a hundred dollars from some vendors, and it's from a company called Moebius Models. This kit was based on the 17 foot long studio model and the 8.5 foot studio model made for the TV series. Both of which differ slightly in some of the details, for example, the 8.5 foot model has slightly raised exterior window frames. They also differ in the number of missile tubes. The kit gives you the option to choose between either the 17 foot or 8.5 foot versions. I'm actually going to try to head over to the Science Fiction Museum here in Seattle. Apparently the 17 foot model is on display there.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Yeah, the first season which was in black and white, I believe had 8 windows. Starting with the second season, they did some major changes. The 8 windows were reduced to the 4 you seen on the box art. The observation deck in the nose was removed and the control room was moved to there. A hangar was placed in the nose under the control room to house the flying sub. Also two sonar domes were added on the port and starboard sides of the bow.

If you want a model of the movie version with the old 8 window configuration, polar lights did release a reissue of the old 13 inch long Aurora kit of the Seaview.

As for this 39 inch kit it's about a hundred dollars from some vendors, and it's from a company called Moebius Models. This kit was based on the 17 foot long studio model and the 8.5 foot studio model made for the TV series. Both of which differ slightly in some of the details, for example, the 8.5 foot model has slightly raised exterior window frames. They also differ in the number of missile tubes. The kit gives you the option to choose between either the 17 foot or 8.5 foot versions. I'm actually going to try to head over to the Science Fiction Museum here in Seattle. Apparently the 17 foot model is on display there.

That's the way to get good pics of the real one for your model!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Commander

According to wikipedia, they have Kirk's command chair on display there so I'll have to check that out as well.

One thing that I'm wrestling with right now with the model is how to do the running lights on the two upper stern fins. The manufacturer had the foresight to put channels in the fins that runs into the hull. Should be enough for thin wiring and maybe a really small LED. Except I'm not confident in my ability to install the LED and wiring in such a small confined space without creating a short. Plus if a short ever develops after it's finished, it'll be hard to get in there to repair. I'm thinking the best option is to use the clear plastic caps that come with the kit for the running lights, and run a small bundle of fiberoptic threads through the fin to the running light.

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
According to wikipedia, they have Kirk's command chair on display there so I'll have to check that out as well.

One thing that I'm wrestling with right now with the model is how to do the running lights on the two upper stern fins. The manufacturer had the foresight to put channels in the fins that runs into the hull. Should be enough for thin wiring and maybe a really small LED. Except I'm not confident in my ability to install the LED and wiring in such a small confined space without creating a short. Plus if a short ever develops after it's finished, it'll be hard to get in there to repair. I'm thinking the best option is to use the clear plastic caps that come with the kit for the running lights, and run a small bundle of fiberoptic threads through the fin to the running light.
Is there a possibilty you can use heat to mold what you need?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Commander

I suppose anything is possible. I'll try taking pictures of the parts I have to work with when I get a chance. Ultimately, I want to try to minimize the amount of modification I need to make to the actual parts. Obviously if a part gets damaged during the process, then there's likely no turning back.

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I suppose anything is possible. I'll try taking pictures of the parts I have to work with when I get a chance. Ultimately, I want to try to minimize the amount of modification I need to make to the actual parts. Obviously if a part gets damaged during the process, then there's likely no turning back.
Of course damage is possible on any model. But if you really are going to be as original as possible, I do know they make speaiclaized heating tools for plastic model modifcation. I also remember they were fairly inexpensive. But if you only make your modifcations when you are clam, that helps too!! I know from experience!!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Commander

Yeah, probably also helps to know what you're doing to. Been building models for over 10 years, but I still consider myself an average modeler. Haven't really had the chance to learn new techniques. Another thing I'm working on is finding an image of a world map that I'm happy with so I can shrink it to about a quarter the size of a postage stamp and make a decal to mount on the control room wall.

-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Yeah, probably also helps to know what you're doing to. Been building models for over 10 years, but I still consider myself an average modeler. Haven't really had the chance to learn new techniques. Another thing I'm working on is finding an image of a world map that I'm happy with so I can shrink it to about a quarter the size of a postage stamp and make a decal to mount on the control room wall.
I bet there's online forums and websites that can help too.