The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Gay content too long coming...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 AM
sir num nums sir num nums is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
I believe Star Trek had tried with Enterprise, (intending to have either Malcolm or Phlox as gay) but got cold feet at the end. I'm all for it. I was ecstatic when the gay Levi's commercials started airing.
They seemed like they were working towards a build up of him possibly being gay in Season 3 and 4.

1) during the episode where they met with the older enterprise in the expanse, he never found a female mate.

2) he was always trigger happy, and may have been trying to compensate for something.
  #22  
Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Well Phlox wasn't gay in the series, he had 4 wives, unless they were all diversions.

I could see Malcom being a good strong charater who just happens to be gay.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
  #23  
Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,226
Default

Kirk even wanted a massage from Spock...
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

  #24  
Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Kirk even wanted a massage from Spock...
Wasn't that in the deleted scenes from Trek 5??? ROFL!!!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
  #25  
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

no, actually it was Shore Leave....he had to settle for Yeoman Barrows. And, he got quite perturbed when he discovered it wasn't Spock giving him the back rub...
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
  #26  
Old 04-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
no, actually it was Shore Leave....he had to settle for Yeoman Barrows. And, he got quite perturbed when he discovered it wasn't Spock giving him the back rub...
Oh!!! I knew they were doing more than playing chess...
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
  #27  
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default

Just to bring new folks on this thread up to speed: if you Google "Gay Star Trek" you'll find a link to a site that does a pretty extensive rundown on how the powers that be at NBC, Paramount and other production heads (Burman) have avoided the issue in the past.

As I said in some of the previous threads, I think Star Trek has lost its cred' in relation to "pushing the social equality envelope." Virtually every major science fiction series on TV in the last 15 years has delt with the issue, but not Trek. It's now become almost an embarassment to the franchise, and is slowly gaining the reputation of being homophobic by default.

It might not be an issue that J.J. needs to work into THIS particular movie, but if they do another series of Star Trek... I should hope to h*ll that they, the producers, would grow a pair and deal with it.
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
  #28  
Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Just to bring new folks on this thread up to speed: if you Google "Gay Star Trek" you'll find a link to a site that does a pretty extensive rundown on how the powers that be at NBC, Paramount and other production heads (Burman) have avoided the issue in the past.

As I said in some of the previous threads, I think Star Trek has lost its cred' in relation to "pushing the social equality envelope." Virtually every major science fiction series on TV in the last 15 years has delt with the issue, but not Trek. It's now become almost an embarassment to the franchise, and is slowly gaining the reputation of being homophobic by default.

It might not be an issue that J.J. needs to work into THIS particular movie, but if they do another series of Star Trek... I should hope to h*ll that they, the producers, would grow a pair and deal with it.
Not repeat what I've said in other threads too much, but I don't want a charater that has a sign around their neck annoucing they are gay, or having a "token gay" charater.

Torchwood is a good example of how it can be done well, and effectively.

Why not have a charater that is great, and just happens to be gay?

I don't mind seeing a charater kissing same gender in a normal love scene, as long as it's a well done, if not better, than any hethro scene.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
  #29  
Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Matt Matt is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33
Default

I don't think such a small minority requires representation in a movie. There are FAR more vegetarians than there are gay people, and T'Pol is the closest we got to a vegetarian on screen.
  #30  
Old 04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I don't think such a small minority requires representation in a movie. There are FAR more vegetarians than there are gay people, and T'Pol is the closest we got to a vegetarian on screen.
I would disagree with you on that.

I've seen estimates that 1 in 4 people are gay.

I've seen estimates that 1 in 10 people are vegetarians.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.