The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Gay content too long coming...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Hey! I consider all new posters edible! Read the newbie threads if you doubt me! I love eggplant...okay, not as much as a good steak, but being able to love without restrictions guarantees more pleasure, right?

By the way, I checked out your board...I'm trying to figure out a way to direct my husband to you...he's a model railroad enthusiast but has engaged in other modelling (I'm looking at an issue of Fine Scale Modeler that features one of his projects as I type...because, it's in a frame on the wall).

Yagami, while I agree that there should be no special attention drawn to a gay character, I take HUGE exception to your idea that Trek didn't make a big thing about the interracial kiss... Look at who Kirk had kissed over the series? But he balked at Uhura? He fought it as long as he could? He kept his eyes open and glared at those controlling him thoughout....

they made it a huge deal. And, from what I remember, it was quite a controversy. No one affiliated with the show wanted it to be that difficult...it was the Network that insisted Kirk looked appalled while having to kiss Uhura.

I suspect you are younger than I so used to a more egalatarian world than I.... Which is good. I'm glad you think things are that equal...but 40 years ago, they were not.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Rear Admiral

Liz needs some Skittles and quick... lol
Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Admiral

no...seriously...I need Godiva Chocolate NOW!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Hey! I consider all new posters edible! Read the newbie threads if you doubt me! I love eggplant...okay, not as much as a good steak, but being able to love without restrictions guarantees more pleasure, right?

By the way, I checked out your board...I'm trying to figure out a way to direct my husband to you...he's a model railroad enthusiast but has engaged in other modelling (I'm looking at an issue of Fine Scale Modeler that features one of his projects as I type...because, it's in a frame on the wall).

Yagami, while I agree that there should be no special attention drawn to a gay character, I take HUGE exception to your idea that Trek didn't make a big thing about the interracial kiss... Look at who Kirk had kissed over the series? But he balked at Uhura? He fought it as long as he could? He kept his eyes open and glared at those controlling him thoughout....

they made it a huge deal. And, from what I remember, it was quite a controversy. No one affiliated with the show wanted it to be that difficult...it was the Network that insisted Kirk looked appalled while having to kiss Uhura.

I suspect you are younger than I so used to a more egalatarian world than I.... Which is good. I'm glad you think things are that equal...but 40 years ago, they were not.
I'm 37... And the way I interpret KIRK's reaction.. (And is the onscreen reaction that concerns me here. Off screen I understand that NBC had lots of people in high places who got waaaay too scared about such things.)

Is that he resented being forced by someone... Especially when it's Uhura because to him Uhura is someone he has grown to know as a trusted and gifted officer and an asset to his crew... Possibly a friend though if he could feelsafe admitting that to himself just yet since She is three grades junior and under his command. And I think What Kirk feels is revulsion at the Platonians for trying to reduce one of his best officers to an object for their sick amusement.

But I will confess that this Point of View might be due to how I was brought up and a peculiar frame of vision rather than the norm...

I also remember that Nichelle Nichols commented about getting a letter from one of the people NBC command was afraid would get offended... He said that when "A red blooded American Boy like Captain Kirk has a woman who looks like Lt. Uhura in his arms he ain't gonna fight it!"

Last edited by Yagami Crewman : 04-29-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
no...seriously...I need Godiva Chocolate NOW!!!
The Lemon Creams or the Cogniac filled ones?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Yes, I've seen Nichelle at conventions too and she does tell that story.

I'm glad you can interpret Kirk's reactions that way. I find it forced and wrong, but I am older so raised in a different era. (I'm 49). When it aired, it was all about him being appalled at kissing the black woman...that was the only way the show was allowed to air.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
The Lemon Creams or the Cogniac filled ones?

Well...Liquor is always preferred...but really, given my choice of the Godiva line, I want the Cheesecake Truffles...I kid you not, those are FOREPLAY!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I believe Star Trek had tried with Enterprise, (intending to have either Malcolm or Phlox as gay) but got cold feet at the end. I'm all for it. I was ecstatic when the gay Levi's commercials started airing.

However, i don't support forcibly injecting gay culture into media just to make a statement. It is not fair to the general public. Like most rights movements it needs to be eased in. The public/humanity must be able to accept homosexuality on its on terms and pace just as it accepted racial diversity and the abolishment of slavery.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Doctor Who has managed to fit this kind of thing in fluidly, but I think that would be because of the head writer.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 04-30-2008, 03:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default So Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
I believe Star Trek had tried with Enterprise, (intending to have either Malcolm or Phlox as gay) but got cold feet at the end. I'm all for it. I was ecstatic when the gay Levi's commercials started airing.

However, i don't support forcibly injecting gay culture into media just to make a statement. It is not fair to the general public. Like most rights movements it needs to be eased in. The public/humanity must be able to accept homosexuality on its on terms and pace just as it accepted racial diversity and the abolishment of slavery.

I remember the ST:ENT episode X2. Everyone was finding out who they ended up with when the crew were stuck in a nebula for llike a hundred years and Hoshi asked Malcolm who he got it on with. I thought for sure he was going to say Ensign 'John Doe'. It would have been a perfect way to tell the audience.

Personally I agree. Don't 'out' a character unless it fits the story. A passing comment would suffice, anymore would be useless.