The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Tuvok
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Good call on the tri-ox compound. That's pretty much what McCoy said it was for.
Thank you, form you, that is high praise indeed!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Thank you, form you, that is high praise indeed!
Just stop it. You do well enough on your own here.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Just stop it. You do well enough on your own here.
Well you are a great debater! Allways a pleasure to see your posts.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1THGfan View Post
Spock beats Tuvok barely on my list. The only reason I like Spock better is because he set apart Star Trek from any other TV show and made the series unique. Tuvok seemed like a clone of Spock to me.
I disagree. You could almost tell that Spock was half human. He had a much better "charm" if you will. Tuvok was always serious and had a slightly darker tone than Spock did.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Commodore, that's my point. The only reason there are fair skinned people on earth is that there are areas which are not baked by the sun all year.... from what we know of Vulcan that's not true. Probably they should all have dark skin, but since our first Vulcan had light skin, they should all follow suit.

Or, as you suggest, the majority should be dark skinned with only a few light skinned. They could be explained as being from the areas near the poles, so more "earthlike" in climate.
But remember when Sargon suggested humans might have been descended from his people? The response was that the evidence existed that humanity arose independently on earth... But Spock said it would explain much of Vulcan prehistory. Ergo the genetic pool from which Vulcans arose did not spring up from Vulcan but from a planet with more varied climes.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFoxed View Post
Spock is obviously everyone's favorite vulcan. And from what I can tell, not to many people liked T'Pol's caracter at all (even though I did). So what is everyones thoughts on Tuvok. Was he a well portrayed vulcan caracter or another disappointment?
Tuvok became good after Neelix's and his adventure on the Maglev.
Before he was intolerant and apatheitic. Even Spock rarely showed such behavior and certainly not Sarek, and Saavik. It was explained later on that Tuvok had strong emotions to over come as a child...perhaps that seeped in on the early episodes of show...but afterwards he dealt with Neelix with the respect he cetainly deservered.

That's when Tuvok started to strik good marks. That's also when I let the whole idea of the black Vulcan start to slide too.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Federation Councillor

All about our man Tuvok-

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tuvok
Old 05-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I disagree. You could almost tell that Spock was half human. He had a much better "charm" if you will. Tuvok was always serious and had a slightly darker tone than Spock did.
Spock was far more impassive than Tuvok..I think it was obvious when Spock's human side encroached on his demeanor but Tuvok's emotions seemed like you said...darker more consistently. He leaned toward a constant state of annoyance.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Spock was far more impassive than Tuvok..I think it was obvious when Spock's human side encroached on his demeanor but Tuvok's emotions seemed like you said...darker more consistently. He leaned toward a constant state of annoyance.
As in Tuvok seemed like he was constantly annoyed?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
As in Tuvok seemed like he was constantly annoyed?
I don't think that would be quite accurate.

Tim Russ, I think, did a wonderful job. Spock, as a Vulcan, was 'flawed' by his human half... a conceit fostered to make him more acceptable to an audience then a full-blooded alien. (Likewise, Worf, raised by human parents.)

This is one of Trek's greatest strengths - taking the outlandish or hard-to-understand and finding a 'bridge' between that 'far out' state and current reality, without ever quite coming so far 'down' as to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Tuvok is oft perceived as being 'annoyed'/'frustrated' by his crewmates, (most especially Neelix.) However, by his actions, we are led to understand that this perception is just that - a PERCEPTION. We, as 'emotional' creatures, are overlying our own basis on the fundamentally unemotional creature.

Which is to say; an inversion. Among ourselves, we are, (sad to say) often inclined to 'spark' a reaction - act a certain way in order to spark a certain reaction, merely as a 'better' alternative to being ignored. 'Bug ANYBODY long enough, and...'

This, however, does not apply to Vulcans.

You don't know him, he doesn't know you - you shrug, and accept his 'cold' attitude as being natural for strangers. The more you know him, the more you warm up to him, the 'colder' his demenor seems - even though it has either not chnaged - or CHANGED AT A SLOWER RATE. (As well displayed in the Voyager Episode 'Gravity'.)

To make a long post short... (too late! *Grin*) ... the character of Tuvok just WOULD NOT be acceptable/believable without Spock's 'half-breed' nature to ease us into it.