The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Tuvok
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I've never totally got the concept of dark skinned Vulcans (isn't the whole planet horrifyingly hot and aren't differences in skin tone a result of varied exposure to the sun?).
And why would Vulcan be any different than Earth in that regard? But if Vulcan being mostly hot is a key factor in their genetic makeup, then fair-skinned Vulcans like Spock should be more the exception than the rule...
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Commodore, that's my point. The only reason there are fair skinned people on earth is that there are areas which are not baked by the sun all year.... from what we know of Vulcan that's not true. Probably they should all have dark skin, but since our first Vulcan had light skin, they should all follow suit.

Or, as you suggest, the majority should be dark skinned with only a few light skinned. They could be explained as being from the areas near the poles, so more "earthlike" in climate.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Rear Admiral

Vulcan may have a more varied climate than we think. I think the planet is mostly a hot desert (particularly along the equator), but I think there are temperate zones near the poles just like you said. That would allow a variety of skin tones among Vulcans as there are among Humans.

I don't know if Vulcan was ever officially declared a Class-M planet anywhere, but I think there's been some instances in which a desert-like world was called Class-M. Perhaps desert worlds that can't support a large population or are even hotter than Vulcan are listed as something else...
Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Ensign

I liked Tuvock, but everyone knows Spock is the king.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Vulcan may have a more varied climate than we think. I think the planet is mostly a hot desert (particularly along the equator), but I think there are temperate zones near the poles just like you said. That would allow a variety of skin tones among Vulcans as there are among Humans.

I don't know if Vulcan was ever officially declared a Class-M planet anywhere, but I think there's been some instances in which a desert-like world was called Class-M. Perhaps desert worlds that can't support a large population or are even hotter than Vulcan are listed as something else...
No I personally think it was the 1960's and NBC would have never allowed a ethnic person to play a supporting lead in a TV series.

But Class M, to my understanding means any planet were Humans/Vulcans can breathe the air regaurdless of climate.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
No I personally think it was the 1960's and NBC would have never allowed a ethnic person to play a supporting lead in a TV series.
NBC actually produced the television series--Julia--which featured an African-American as the lead title character--in 1968 while Star Trek was on the air. It was also the first show to feature an African-American as anything other than a servant to white people.

Quote:
But Class M, to my understanding means any planet were Humans/Vulcans can breathe the air regaurdless of climate.
That's my definition of Class-M as well. But I think it also has to be a planet capable of easily supporting a humanoid population too. A number of Class-L planets with oxygen atmospheres have been featured in Trek over the years--but they were generally depicted as rocky, uninhabited planets without any humanoid life.

In ENT, it was explained that Class-M stood for "Minshara", a Vulcan term.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
NBC actually produced the television series--Julia--which featured an African-American as the lead title character--in 1968 while Star Trek was on the air. It was also the first show to feature an African-American as anything other than a servant to white people.
Yes, and it was a risk of a show too, for it's time. Here's some info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_(TV_series)

Quote:
That's my definition of Class-M as well. But I think it also has to be a planet capable of easily supporting a humanoid population too. A number of Class-L planets with oxygen atmospheres have been featured in Trek over the years--but they were generally depicted as rocky, uninhabited planets without any humanoid life.

In ENT, it was explained that Class-M stood for "Minshara", a Vulcan term.
I liek the explanation on ENT, a nice holdover for TOS, and other series.

Class L, again my understanding, was that it was marginal ok for Humans/Vulcans, and really needed extra breathing help (like masks, ect.)

but every planet that wasn't a "paraell earth" on TOS was a rocky planet, and looked oddly the same.....
Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Class L, again my understanding, was that it was marginal ok for Humans/Vulcans, and really needed extra breathing help (like masks, ect.)
The Class-L planets featured in Trek have atmospheres that you can breathe in without any help, but it's like being at a high elevation. It's just very thin. You don't wanna run a marathon on those planets, that's fa'sure...

Quote:
but every planet that wasn't a "paraell earth" on TOS was a rocky planet, and looked oddly the same.....
Yeah, but when you think about it, planets that aren't Class-M or Class-L usually are places to avoid. I know I wouldn't want to visit a Class-J gas planet--no surface, you'd just keep falling forever towards the core until you're crushed like a grape...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
The Class-L planets featured in Trek have atmospheres that you can breathe in without any help, but it's like being at a high elevation. It's just very thin. You don't wanna run a marathon on those planets, that's fa'sure...
I agree Commodore.

But even hikers and climbers will take air with them (in real life). But I also remeber that especially on TOS, McCoy would break out Tri-Ox for those places. I assume Tri-Ox somehow suppliments, or makes breathing in thin air more pratical.

Quote:
Yeah, but when you think about it, planets that aren't Class-M or Class-L usually are places to avoid. I know I wouldn't want to visit a Class-J gas planet--no surface, you'd just keep falling forever towards the core until you're crushed like a grape...
[/quote]

I can see were that would be "Boldly crushed were no one has been crushed before."
Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
IBut even hikers and climbers will take air with them (in real life). But I also remeber that especially on TOS, McCoy would break out Tri-Ox for those places. I assume Tri-Ox somehow suppliments, or makes breathing in thin air more pratical.
Good call on the tri-ox compound. That's pretty much what McCoy said it was for.