The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Temporal Cold War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Midshipman

Question Temporal Cold War

I have heard some people say that they thought the idea of a temporal cold war was a bad idea. I personally disagree. But even if you do, isn't that basically the same thing the new movie is doing? A Romulan goes back in time to change history and Spock follows him back to make sure that it doesn't happen. I sounds similar to me. It's a good concept if it's done right.

Isn't that also what "First Contact" did as well? It's been done more then once in Trek. It's not like it was a new concept in "Enterprise." It was just done on a larger scale.

Does anyone agree with me?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

"So... we've drawn a complete blank on ideas. Bob thought he had something with that alien race of his, but the censors won't let it through, so that's out the airlock. Anybody else got anything? Anything at all? ...No? *Sigh* - okay, so 'time travel' it is, then..."

(*Grin*)
Old 04-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Rear Admiral

The problem with the Temporal Cold War was that it wasn't really ever thought out. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga were really just making it up as it went along. We never did find out who "Future Guy" in the pilot episode really was (or what he was, for that matter), and Berman & Braga left it up to Manny Coto to figure out how to resolve the whole TCW storyline once they got tired of it...

If Star Trek XI follows a storyline in which a Romulan wants to go back in time and change history, it really wouldn't be that fundamentally different than the time travel in First Contact or The Voyage Home in which our hero(es) must save history/save the future...
Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
The problem with the Temporal Cold War was that it wasn't really ever thought out. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga were really just making it up as it went along. We never did find out who "Future Guy" in the pilot episode really was (or what he was, for that matter), and Berman & Braga left it up to Manny Coto to figure out how to resolve the whole TCW storyline once they got tired of it...

If Star Trek XI follows a storyline in which a Romulan wants to go back in time and change history, it really wouldn't be that fundamentally different than the time travel in First Contact or The Voyage Home in which our hero(es) must save history/save the future...

That is the best way I have ever heard the TCW put there C.

The point has been brought up elsewhere that maybe the figure in the transporter is in fact Nero. Would make an intersting tie in.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Midshipman

[quote=Commodore;46615]The problem with the Temporal Cold War was that it wasn't really ever thought out. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga were really just making it up as it went along. We never did find out who "Future Guy" in the pilot episode really was (or what he was, for that matter), and Berman & Braga left it up to Manny Coto to figure out how to resolve the whole TCW storyline once they got tired of it...

Maybe this is somthing that would have been settled in a later season if the show was allowed to continue. I would have liked to see how that ended.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Unlike Babylon 5...inwhich the Entire Five years was laid out for intregal episodes. Enterprise D meander about the plot of the Temporal Cold War. They didn't really know where it would end up.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFoxed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Maybe this is somthing that would have been settled in a later season if the show was allowed to continue. I would have liked to see how that ended.
The TCW was officially over after the early fourth season episode "Stormfront, part 2". The mandate that Berman gave to Coto was essentially to "wrap this thing up." The whole alien Nazi thing in 1944--that was Berman's idea, not Coto's. In the end, it was Coto who had to figure out (1) How to resolve the TCW, and (2) How to get Archer back to the 22nd-Century.

I don't think Coto had any desire to revisit the TCW storyline again after that--and I can't really blame him.

I actually believe that Berman & Braga had no idea who "Future Guy" from the pilot episode really was either. He was created to be just a mysterious villain and the character was never taken any farther than that...

Last edited by Commodore : 05-01-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Messed up the quote boxes
Old 05-01-2008, 03:58 AM
Federation Councillor

[quote=Commodore;47387]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFoxed View Post

The TCW was officially over after the early fourth season episode "Stormfront, part 2". The mandate that Berman gave to Coto was essentially to "wrap this thing up." The whole alien Nazi thing in 1944--that was Berman's idea, not Coto's. In the end, it was Coto who had to figure out (1) How to resolve the TCW, and (2) How to get Archer back to the 22nd-Century.

I don't think Coto had any desire to revisit the TCW storyline again after that--and I can't really blame him.

I actually believe that Berman & Braga had no idea who "Future Guy" from the pilot episode really was either. He was created to be just a mysterious villain and the character was never taken any farther than that...

I agree with you Commodore. But having it be Nero would be a great tie in. We also don't know that the shadow figure was killed for sure.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm also not a big fan of the TCW. Time travel should be left for Doctor Who and used sparingly in Trek. There were too many lame stories in TNG and onward that used it as a crutch. Heck the first two TNG movies featured time travel of one type or another. Enterprise is best--IMHO--when it was a straight foward adventure into the unknown. I really wish Archer would have met the aliens from Damage and had to deal with the aftermath of his decision to take their warp coil.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think there have been some strong Time Travel episodes.
I don't think Assignment Earth was one of them.
But TNG with Data's head being discovered in Earth Ruins was excellent.
Voyagers Relativity had actually never been done.
DS9 's Trials and Tribulations was excellent while the other to the 22nd century was really not very intresting.

On the whole the Time Travel episdoes have been pretty good...with a few notable gags and exceptions.