The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Galaxy Quest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
The Star Trek Universe should use Galaxy Quest as its equivalent of Star Trek in our Universe.

As I said recently somewhere else...

And still as funny!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Admiral

My favorite Gwen line is: "Look, I have one job on this show, it's stupid, but I'm going to do it!"

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
My favorite Gwen line is: "Look, I have one job on this show, it's stupid, but I'm going to do it!"
Also part right before that when someone reminds her all she does is repeat what the computer says.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I still think my fave line is : "Did you see that? The door's kinda sticky... I'll get one of my guys down here with a can of WD-40."

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

You know, "Galaxy Quest" is really a good test of what kind of a fan someone is. If you meet someone who's a Trek fan, ask them their opinon of GQ... if they start raving about how the movie was an insult to Trek fans... just quietly walk away when you get a chance. Obviously, they take themselves, (and Trek) waaayyy too seriously... I still know a few people who absolutely lothe this movie. Just because they got it into their heads that it was meant to be a slam at fandom.

I've never seen it that way. In fact, I think that the film's subtext, about how believing in the ideals of a peice of fiction can be something deeply positive, is a vindication of our love of Trek.

Compare Trek to something deeply backward and negative that's fictional. Like, say, John Norman's "Gor." In that series of books, women are portrayed as being chattel, and liking it that way. There's a deeply homophobic subtext to it, and frankly, the whole "Gorean philosophy" advocates violence as a solution to all problems. Yet, there are thousands of people who subscribe to this "philosophy" like it's a cult. A giant step backward, and one that would rob untold number of people of their potential to excel, if you ask me.

Trek, by contrast, is more about mutual respect, friendship and making time with some really hot (possibly green) babes!

Give me IDIC from Trek any day... or, in the case of GQ, the battle cry of "Never give up, never surrender!"

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.

Last edited by FanWriter45 : 04-28-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Rear Admiral

"By Grapthar's Hamm--"
"Next."

LOL!!!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
You know, "Galaxy Quest" is really a good test of what kind of a fan someone is. If you meet someone who's a Trek fan, ask them their opinon of GQ... if they start raving about how the movie was an insult to Trek fans... just quietly walk away when you get a chance. Obviously, they take themselves, (and Trek) waaayyy too seriously... I still know a few people who absolutely lothe this movie. Just because they got it into their heads that it was meant to be a slam at fandom.

I've never seen it that way. In fact, I think that the film's subtext, about how believing in the ideals of a peice of fiction can be something deeply positive, is a vindication of our love of Trek.

Compare Trek to something deeply backward and negative that's fictional. Like, say, John Norman's "Gor." In that series of books, women are portrayed as being chattel, and liking it that way. There's a deeply homophobic subtext to it, and frankly, the whole "Gorean philosophy" advocates violence as a solution to all problems. Yet, there are thousands of people who subscribe to this "philosophy" like it's a cult. A giant step backward, and one that would rob untold number of people of their potential to excel, if you ask me.

Trek, by contrast, is more about mutual respect, friendship and making time with some really hot (possibly green) babes!

Give me IDIC from Trek any day... or, in the case of GQ, the battle cry of "Never give up, never surrender!"
Well it is one of the few SF series that showed a postive future. Look at the others from that time frame, and beyond.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Vice Admiral

True.

The Outer Limits was very much a dark, monster of the week type show...

The Twilight Zone was more fantasy. (not always with happy endings)

The Invaders was based on the idea that "paranoia can be fun."

Lost in Space was just kid's fantasy (althought he fist season was pretty solid)
The same could be said about most of Irwin Allen's series of the time; Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, City Beneath the Sea, and Man from the 25th Century.

Men Into Space was good, but quickly became dated.

Even today, shows like B5 or BSG have a really downbeat, dark side to their overall story arcs.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Well, I think Star Trek's positive vision of a future in which humanity lives and reaches the stars is one of the reasons it's still popular and viable.

Galaxy Quest takes that positive vision a step further and says it is, in fact, inspiring. Perhaps that's one reason so many fans of Star Trek embrace it.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I strongly recommend a visit to goblin valley. It's where they shot the planet scene.
I thought that was Morman Rock. CA. Like in the orinal series. I guess the locals here are wrong . I live a few miles from it
http://www.route66ca.org/traveler/to...ges/mormon.jpg
As for the movie. Man It was funny. No matter how many times I have seen it, I still find it funny . My fav part is "Guy"

Last edited by trekie : 04-28-2008 at 02:29 PM.