The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I hate eBay.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Captain

A story with a happy ending:
If you've seen my diatribe in the "trekkie" thread, last week I was outbid on a hero McCoy med scanner but the next day I received an E-mail from the seller saying that he actually had a few models for sale. He probably listed one just to see what price it would fetch. he then offered me a chance to 'Buy It Now' for my last bid price. I felt like asking if he was Ferengi, but just felt greatful that I could still get what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
If you've seen my diatribe in the "trekkie" thread, last week I was outbid on a hero McCoy med scanner but the next day I received an E-mail from the seller saying that he actually had a few models for sale. He probably listed one just to see what price it would fetch. he then offered me a chance to 'Buy It Now' for my last bid price. I felt like asking if he was Ferengi, but just felt greatful that I could still get what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay.
Congrats!!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post

Sweet! Finally someone's had a bit of good luck at that place.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Federation Councillor

I have almost allways had good luck on Ebay, must be an exception.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It's a losing battle sometimes... other times, you get lucky. I got a Hildenbrant Star Wars poster (one of the original printings, the same one I had on my bedroom wall as a kid) for $10. I'm getting it framed.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
It's a losing battle sometimes... other times, you get lucky. I got a Hildenbrant Star Wars poster (one of the original printings, the same one I had on my bedroom wall as a kid) for $10. I'm getting it framed.
A good deal!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampris View Post
Sure, I might win items now and then, but the balance between excitement over winning something rare, long sought-after, and/or well priced is the heartache of being sniped with TWO FREAKING SECONDS LEFT is grossly uneven.

So. Um, that doesn't really seem like enough of a thread in itself, so, er, d'you feel like describing your own eBay antics? You know, those dramatic stories of epic struggles and close shaves, victories, shattered dreams, and hope rising reborn from checking the newest listings a few days later? I'd love to hear them. Or maybe you sell stuff, that could be interesting too. (Especially if you've got lots of neat stuff to sell.) Please, do tell.

Oh, and P.S.: That jacket should SO have been mine.
Well, I'm on the selling side right now.
I'm trying to sell my Dell PC and I have to compete with other members, and worse of all... Businesses that can afford to advertise better than I can.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Federation Councillor

I just got both Grindhouse movies for 11 bucks, still sealed (that includes shipping), and yes, they are factory region 1 DVDs, and not DVD-R's. Bought from this guy before.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Well, I'm on the selling side right now.
I'm trying to sell my Dell PC and I have to compete with other members, and worse of all... Businesses that can afford to advertise better than I can.
Selling a Dell is very hard..

You can have a computer built custom with name brand parts and lifetime warranties for about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of what Dell wants.

I build computers.. that is how I know..

Comparing my system specifications to a Dell XPS model for gaming, Dell wants $4213.89 plus tax and shipping for a system comparable to mine today.

I built my system back in Feb for $1675.. about 1/3 the cost and that is after shipping.

Factor in the age of the machine.. it probably is not worth much at all right now..

A Dell you buy for $800 today is really worth $800/3 = $266.67 (cost to build yourself).. You lose about 40% of its value for each year of age of the machine.

Add in to the fact that XP will be off the market in June will actuall icrease the value of the machine about 30%, at least for the next 6 to 8 months, after that.. there is not much left in hopes of selling it.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
Selling a Dell is very hard..

You can have a computer built custom with name brand parts and lifetime warranties for about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of what Dell wants.

I build computers.. that is how I know..

Comparing my system specifications to a Dell XPS model for gaming, Dell wants $4213.89 plus tax and shipping for a system comparable to mine today.

I built my system back in Feb for $1675.. about 1/3 the cost and that is after shipping.

Factor in the age of the machine.. it probably is not worth much at all right now..

A Dell you buy for $800 today is really worth $800/3 = $266.67 (cost to build yourself).. You lose about 40% of its value for each year of age of the machine.

Add in to the fact that XP will be off the market in June will actuall icrease the value of the machine about 30%, at least for the next 6 to 8 months, after that.. there is not much left in hopes of selling it.

My roomate in medical school told me that when he was in college at U of Texas, he and his roomate used to build computer "clones" and sell them for less than a brand name but for much more than it cost them to build. Well the business wasn't going well so by junior year, my friend told his partner that he wanted out. He told the other guy that if he assumed all the debt they had accrued, he could keep all the profits that he could recoup. The deal was made and my friend was free.

So guess who the roomate was?