The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I hate eBay.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default I hate eBay.

Sure, I might win items now and then, but the balance between excitement over winning something rare, long sought-after, and/or well priced is the heartache of being sniped with TWO FREAKING SECONDS LEFT is grossly uneven.

So. Um, that doesn't really seem like enough of a thread in itself, so, er, d'you feel like describing your own eBay antics? You know, those dramatic stories of epic struggles and close shaves, victories, shattered dreams, and hope rising reborn from checking the newest listings a few days later? I'd love to hear them. Or maybe you sell stuff, that could be interesting too. (Especially if you've got lots of neat stuff to sell.) Please, do tell.

Oh, and P.S.: That jacket should SO have been mine.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

it's called sniping and it's a way of life for some unsavory individuals. I've lost many a model kit that way.

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Vice Admiral

True confession: I got my wedding sari that way...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Captain

Ampris- I feel your pain but I do believe that things happen for a reason. Every time something has been sniped from my grasp, something better wound up coming along... which I was able to win. Patience is my best advice.
So what are you in the market for? E-bay isn't the only route. I got my MR TOS Phaser off of Craigslist and I've gotten other items from conversing with people on YouTube. Where there's a will, there's a beneficiary.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
True confession: I got my wedding sari that way...
and I bet you looked great in it jan!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

This is why I never bid on overly popular items. Generally, I use ebay to pick up the things that are so odd, so left feild, that the chances are that not many people would be looking for them. I pick up a lot of stuff like rare paperbacks (I got all of the "Best of Trek" series for about $5 + s&h) the occasional model kit, and lots and lots of DVDs of titles that are 10 years older or more. (Ebay excels at supplying me with rare 1950's horror and sci fi movies you can't find in the stores anymore.) But I wouldn't bother bidding on stuff that's just come out. Too many other people are looking for a deal on the same thing.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Federation Councillor

I have generally had good luck with Ebay. Guess I am alone in this...lol.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Ampris- I feel your pain but I do believe that things happen for a reason. Every time something has been sniped from my grasp, something better wound up coming along... which I was able to win. Patience is my best advice.
So what are you in the market for? E-bay isn't the only route. I got my MR TOS Phaser off of Craigslist and I've gotten other items from conversing with people on YouTube. Where there's a will, there's a beneficiary.
Yeah, I just gotta keep looking, I guess. My biggest thing to look for on eBay is Treasure Planet memorabilia and such, and I do have some good finds I was lucky enough to get; my favorite hat, for instance, the one that was owned by someone who actually worked on the movie. And I've won some pins, too, which I'm always trying to find for a bit less than retail; even though that's a little unrealistic for out-of-print, small release pins, they ARE out there and I've got a nice collection thank to eBay! Still, though, there have been plenty that slipped away. *Shakes fist at whomever it was that snatched those last two convention pins away*

But I keep truckin' on, I suppose. Even if there's nothing good up right now, there'll probably be something tomorrow. (And If you know somewhere else to find that kinda stuff, I'd be happy to hear. =D)

And I know what you mean about current, sought-after stuff being a PITA to win, FanWriter. Just ask my brothers-- they keep trying to win a Wii for us and there's just NO way to win one, it seems. And that's just the regular, no-extras Wii, forget about the good lots with more controllers and a game or two. Basically, what I've found is that hoping to get a Wii on eBay (without paying through the nose) = delusions of grandeur.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Commander

Weird Al's E-bay song, I think of it every time I'm watching my bids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU

I stopped trying to bid on Ebay for the star trek dvds ever since the prices have dropped. Now I just watch Amazon... I feel its a more solid venue, I won two sets and one was a bad bootleg, noooo bootlegs!!!. Also I have Amazon's card with the rewards program... $25 certificate after every 2500 points. I just wait until I get another certificate and spend it on a DVD set.

I haven't touched it since.

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
Weird Al's E-bay song, I think of it every time I'm watching my bids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU

I stopped trying to bid on Ebay for the star trek dvds ever since the prices have dropped. Now I just watch Amazon... I feel its a more solid venue, I won two sets and one was a bad bootleg, noooo bootlegs!!!. Also I have Amazon's card with the rewards program... $25 certificate after every 2500 points. I just wait until I get another certificate and spend it on a DVD set.

I haven't touched it since.
LOL, think of Al's song too!

Well to be honest I can live with a excellent bootleg, espeically if i don;t know if it until it is too late....