The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI: Original Motion Picture Score by Michal Giaccino
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
yup he is still alive
He did such a excellent job on TWOK, bring him back.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
He did such a excellent job on TWOK, bring him back.
I believe he turned down the chance to score TUC, feeling that Star Trek was now behind him, so whether he'd be willing to return to the fold now is anybody's guess.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

He didnt turn it down, he just wasnt asked. Mayer thought that star trek was past military style music we saw in TMP and TWOK so he wanted somthing that was dark and fitting with the whole film with it being the TOS crew's last outing. But to be honest iam not a fan of Cliff Eidlemans theme it just isnt trek.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I hate to tell you this, but Rod had nothing to do with ENT's theme music. Russel Watson sang it, but he does sound quite a bit like Rod, so an easy mistake.
Sorry to correct you and so late on lol, but the theme from ENT was done origanally done by Rod.

And somthing else i found out on the internet is that Steven Speilberg once said that MG would be the next John Williams or Hans Zimmer. He said this when he was involved with the development of Medal of Honor. So iam really excited by this film. But i still think that star trek needs a theme along the lines of pirates of the caribbean
Old 05-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1701 View Post
Sorry to correct you and so late on lol, but the theme from ENT was done origanally done by Rod.

And somthing else i found out on the internet is that Steven Speilberg once said that MG would be the next John Williams or Hans Zimmer. He said this when he was involved with the development of Medal of Honor. So iam really excited by this film. But i still think that star trek needs a theme along the lines of pirates of the caribbean
After reading I find both of us to be right.

The TV theme was sung by Russel Watson.

Rod Stweart did do a version of it for the film Patch Adams, but was never going to be used on the TV show.

Here's info on that.

"Faith of the Heart," written by Diane Warren and originally performed by Rod Stewart for the Patch Adams soundtrack, was sung by rising U.K. opera star Russell Watson during the show's opening credits. Watson comes from humble beginnings, initially earning a living as a bolt fitter in Manchester and practicing his singing on the side. From there, "The People's Tenor" (I love that name — a tenor for the rest of us) has come into his own as a best-selling singer and was even named a Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

lol a wonderous fountain of knowledge you are Zardoz. Russell is a local hero for us as iam not far from were he worked and lived. Just a shame the song, which wasnt that bad, was used for a mediocer and boring show. Arggghhhh B&B!!!!!!

Sorry
Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
lol a wonderous fountain of knowledge you are Zardoz. Russell is a local hero for us as iam not far from were he worked and lived. Just a shame the song, which wasnt that bad, was used for a mediocer and boring show. Arggghhhh B&B!!!!!!

Sorry
Thank you for your kind words!

I disagre about ENT, but definately agree about Watson~!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

lol i just dont like ENT for the one reason that it was against what Rodenberry had said in the past. That he would not do a prequel to Star trek. This film isnt a prequel but a retelling of the TOS set just before the first mission, i think he would of been happy about it.
I still would love to see Hans Zimmer do the music for this film
Old 05-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
E-guitar interpretation of previous melodies... like the theme and the Amok Time battle music...
I'm hoping for a mixed style soundtrack. After all, using classical orchestra music doesn't make a film epic.

Look what The Phantom Menace did with Duel of the Fates... When I heard the choral arrangement, I geeked out so much. True, that is a classical piece, but it was different than just a typical soundtrack song...

I would welcome a mixture of orchestra with heavy metal guitars, electronic techno style music, d&b style stuff, you name it... As long as it's instrumental.

Listen to Kashmir by Led Zeppelin... Orchestra + heavy metal. One of the most rockin' songs ever. Now imagine something like that to Star Trek...

And no, I don't think we need the Alexander Courage theme, or any of the previous movie themes to make it a Star Trek film... Some cues from them would be awesome, like the horn part right after Kirk says, "The final frontier..." You know, the 10 notes of Star Trek, like in the end of the teaser trailer.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
But to be honest iam not a fan of Cliff Eidlemans theme it just isnt trek.
I always really enjoyed VI's theme. Maybe it was because that was the first Trek movie I saw in theatres, I dunno.