The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI: Original Motion Picture Score by Michal Giaccino
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

The first three serieseseses of the new Doctor Who had almost purely orchestral opening music. This year they have thrown in some bass guitars and increased the number of brass instruments. It sounds - [Insert word of sufficient magnitude]!

They could do something like that for the Original Star Trek opening music.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
The first three serieseseses of the new Doctor Who had almost purely orchestral opening music. This year they have thrown in some bass guitars and increased the number of brass instruments. It sounds - [Insert word of sufficient magnitude]!

They could do something like that for the Original Star Trek opening music.
Or they could just do it with Kazzoos!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Admiral

I really don't know what his score will be like. I've only heard his work on Lost and the music on Lost is very moody, more atmospheric than straightforward driven melody though it does have a few really nice pieces of music one especially associated with Locke.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what he does with the score. I was watching an episode of the original series the other day and they played this strange version of the title music, which sounds very 60's you know. Anyway it sounded such a way as it could work well today, it was very dramatic, suspenseful, but then again was played during a chase. Anyway I'll be wondering if he'll work the original theme in somehow?

You didn't like the score to Trek IV, it was my favorite score, it really reminded me of Star Trek, the wonder, the scale, the adventure, it really hit it for me. Loved the chimes!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think MG is already on record saying the original AC theme will be used in the film... when and where has not been revealed, but I believe he's already said to expect the iconic theme to be included.

With that said, I don't think he'll compose a new main theme, a la Goldsmith for TMP, etc. I think the classic theme will be the main theme, with other original scoring thereafter.

I think it will be largely orchestral, but in a score like THE INCREDIBLES, he's clearly not averse to using more modern instruments at the same time.

More exciting (to me, at least), I think Giacchino has a very good ear for capturing and composing era-reminiscent scores. His work for THE INCREDIBLES had a good deal of 1960s jazz influences, per the film's 'nostalgic' tone and early James Bond flavor in action/mood.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, his overture for CLOVERFIELD also does an amazing job of capturing the sound and 'feel' of classic monster movie scores (GODZILLA, clearly). You don't have to recognize the references to enjoy the music, but if you do recognize them, his scores only get deeper to appreciate.

My guess is that his score might be quite reminiscent of the classic TREK style of score music -- not exact replications, of course, but I wouldn't put it past him and J.J. to throw in a bit of TOS "fight music" when appropriate.
Also, his use of female 'choral' vocals in his "Roar" Overture for CLOVERFIELD reminded me a lot of the TOS theme with the vocalist. Not in the melody, but how he incorporated the vocal with the orchestra -- again, highly reminiscent.

One of Giacchino's strengths is composing for the story at hand and the spirit of the film. He doesn't simply write underscore music, but music that "sounds like the film" your watching. Quite similar in effect to John Williams in that regard. I'm sure looking forward to his work for TREK!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Commander

I wonder if they not just think of the TOS theme music, but also use musics like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhF...eature=related
Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Ensign

Now check out this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82yZ...eature=related
Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Well it is a given the AC theme will be used, no matter whatever other music there is.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
I wonder if they not just think of the TOS theme music, but also use musics like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhF...eature=related
Indeed, that is one of the examples of "fight music" I was referring to as well. It would be tremendous fun to hear bits of those scores mixed in where appropriate, or at least variations on them.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I've always been a fan of the Bernard Hermann style of film scoring: characteristic themes, with a very selective orchestra to support the action without overpowering it. Danny Elfmann has been very good at this sort of thing, as is just about any film composer worth their salt.

Michael Gaiccino, eh? Not a bad choice by any means.

Personally, I was hoping for Shirley Walker. (Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Batman Mask of the Phantasam)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The only score of his I know particularly well is Pixar's The Incredibles, and it was quite good. He managed to fit all the various moods the film had into the music. And the piece he wrote for XI's teaser was very good, as well. The original Trek theme should be kept in the new score (though perhaps he could inject his own style into it, slightly), but other than that I'm looking forward to what he's going to do with the rest of the film.