The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Algore used CGI shots in Inconvenient Truth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Whether or not Gore is a putz, shouldn't we pay some attention to the group of international scientists who say that climate change IS happening? It's not a political thing, it's a science thing.

Go to Beijing and try to breathe the air.
Go to India and test some water samples from the Ganges.
Come to NY and I'll show you the dead lakes in the Adirondaks. (Yeah, people denied acid rain existed for a while, but once all those lakes were dead it was tough to deny.)
Go to LA and look at the smog.
Go to Switzerland and watch the glacier and the snows receding.
Go to the Love Canal and buy a house.

I was SO happy when the Pope added polluting to the list of Big Sins. Doesn't it make sense to take care of our planet, even if Algore is a weenie?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Whether or not Gore is a putz, shouldn't we pay some attention to the group of international scientists who say that climate change IS happening? It's not a political thing, it's a science thing.

Go to Beijing and try to breathe the air.
Go to India and test some water samples from the Ganges.
Come to NY and I'll show you the dead lakes in the Adirondaks. (Yeah, people denied acid rain existed for a while, but once all those lakes were dead it was tough to deny.)
Go to LA and look at the smog.
Go to Switzerland and watch the glacier and the snows receding.
Go to the Love Canal and buy a house.

I was SO happy when the Pope added polluting to the list of Big Sins. Doesn't it make sense to take care of our planet, even if Algore is a weenie?

Well said jan!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post

You make an excellent point, Jer, in that much of the argument against Gore and his film must be made political and personal to make headway. Why? Because the argument must fight the global science by arousing emotions in opponents. Global Warming must be a "Democratic" or "liberal" issue, so it's easier for people to find reasons to dismiss it instead of examine it.

Even President Bush has finally begun to see the light. Timely as ever, of course.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
You make an excellent point, Jer, in that much of the argument against Gore and his film must be made political and personal to make headway. Why? Because the argument must fight the global science by arousing emotions in opponents. Global Warming must be a "Democratic" or "liberal" issue, so it's easier for people to find reasons to dismiss it instead of examine it.

Even President Bush has finally begun to see the light. Timely as ever, of course.
How so very true!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Vice Admiral

I don't think it matters what Al Gore put in his movie. I think there is enough evidence showing the Earth IS warming. To what degree or how quickly is still a known unkown (like that rummy talk?). The warming could be just part of a nutural cycle. But I also believe it is naive to say humans are NOT having an effect. We destroy the natural CO2 scrubbers by destroying forests and we pour tons of of the crap into the air all the time. We MUST be contributing to the warming of our planet to some degree...that is where I believe the debate should focus. Why not assume the worst and make the changes you can to help? Use a smaller fuel efficient car to commute to work and not the big honkin' truck or SUV. Turn off the lights when you are out of the room. Turn the a/c down a degree or two and get used to it. And on and on and on...
Old 04-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Huzzah, MrQ, well said. Believe in the catastrophic effects or not, it's only logical we don't keep poisoning ourselves and strip-mining our planet, for the sake our children and theirs if nothing else. We can simply do better with our environment and for ourselves without jumping into ideological wars about the extent of damage we're doing.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!