The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Algore used CGI shots in Inconvenient Truth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM
SiskoNX01's Avatar
SiskoNX01 SiskoNX01 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Posts: 70
Default Algore used CGI shots in Inconvenient Truth

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Wea...4682216&page=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc4SPG-bFIo

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/noe...nvenient-truth

Algore used CGI shots from The Day After Tomorrow for his "Documentary" An Inconvenient Truth.
__________________
Spandau Ballet - America - 2010
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Berengarius7 Berengarius7 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,143
Default

Yep, you just can't trust anyone these days can you? No matter what side they say they're on.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Akula2ssn's Avatar
Akula2ssn Akula2ssn is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,454
Default

The real inconvenient truth for both sides of the issue is that it's an extremely complex problem that we are only starting to study in detail. To say that we can predict the future with absolute certainty based on current mathematical models is science fiction. To say that we can make extremely meaningful and absolute conclusions by comparing measurements taken by modern instruments with measurements taken 50 years ago is gross manipulation of the facts.
__________________

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 04-22-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Berengarius7 Berengarius7 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,143
Default

I'm going to say it, i'm going to say it whether i get flamed to hell for it or not, because i cannot do otherwise. The REAL inconvenient truth, is that there is no real problem at all. It's a political football at best, and a power grab and total manipulation of the world's populace at worst. Carbon offsets as an excuse for doing what your preaching against instead of practicing what you preach? Anyone who believes this great lie that is global warming, when all the real evidence says there isn't any, is just gilding the lily. The powerful want to remain powerful, the rich want to remain rich. It's the old Machevellian,
theory that for me to succeed, you little peon's must fail. Global warming is an outright lie. To believe that somehow our relatively miniscule and insignificant efforts at polluting this vast and powerful planet could somehow overcome it's ability to defend itself is the ultimate excercise in vanity and ego on our part. We need to be responsible about caring for our universal home, yes. But not gullible enough to believe everything these so called experts are trying to shove down our throats about how we're going to run out of breathable air tomorrow. These people are trying to manipulate us and deceive us so that we will act the way they want us to, which will somehow benefit them. To the rich and powerful, us little people don't matter except as a stepping stone for these people to wipe their muddy boots on, on the way up. It seems as if we're buying into their deception, the same way we're buying up every so called "green" product that these same people have somehow just accidently happen to have invested all of their money in. It's the same old "Let them eat cake" bait and switch people. Wake up and smell the ozone.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 PM
sir num nums sir num nums is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,357
Default

Well, that may be...

But out weather here in AR has been getting more unpredictable over the past few years.

Heck, this year alone we had 70 degree weather one day, snowed the next two days, then had tornado's right after that. And then in April we have had so much flooding mixed in with the normal weather conditions of tornado's.

So, I think something is going on, just maybe not as bad as Al Gore says.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
I'm going to say it, i'm going to say it whether i get flamed to hell for it or not, because i cannot do otherwise. The REAL inconvenient truth, is that there is no real problem at all. It's a political football at best, and a power grab and total manipulation of the world's populace at worst. Carbon offsets as an excuse for doing what your preaching against instead of practicing what you preach? Anyone who believes this great lie that is global warming, when all the real evidence says there isn't any, is just gilding the lily. The powerful want to remain powerful, the rich want to remain rich. It's the old Machevellian,
theory that for me to succeed, you little peon's must fail. Global warming is an outright lie. To believe that somehow our relatively miniscule and insignificant efforts at polluting this vast and powerful planet could somehow overcome it's ability to defend itself is the ultimate excercise in vanity and ego on our part. We need to be responsible about caring for our universal home, yes. But not gullible enough to believe everything these so called experts are trying to shove down our throats about how we're going to run out of breathable air tomorrow. These people are trying to manipulate us and deceive us so that we will act the way they want us to, which will somehow benefit them. To the rich and powerful, us little people don't matter except as a stepping stone for these people to wipe their muddy boots on, on the way up. It seems as if we're buying into their deception, the same way we're buying up every so called "green" product that these same people have somehow just accidently happen to have invested all of their money in. It's the same old "Let them eat cake" bait and switch people. Wake up and smell the ozone.
Well I don't think you are totally off base. I do think they are trying to "cry wolf" after the wolf has eaten all the chickens, so to speak.

But you must admit that the radical climate changes of the last 30 years or so are cause for concern, even if you don't belive in the whole "global warming" thing.

I think the changes people have started making are 30 years too late. I think we have damaged the Earth beyond our current capabilty to repair. I think this is why we are seeing a renewal in the space program, and planned flights to other planets, and loking into possible trying to terraform Mars.

If we don't devise some new technology to fix our own home, or colonize another, we may take our place with the dinosaurs within 100 years.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Akula2ssn's Avatar
Akula2ssn Akula2ssn is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,454
Default

It's a real pain in the @$$ issue for me. Having majored in oceanography, I've had a chance to learn about theories regarding the issue. What Al Gore gives the public is really only a small portion of what is already still considered an incomplete picture. And what's just as bad was walking from class to class on campus and seeing individuals from Greenpeace with political science majors repeating what's in their fliers like it's gospel.

To say that we are causing the Earth to heat up is misleading. The planet goes through constant cycles of warming and cooling without our help. To say that we are possibly causing an acceleration in the natural warming that began after the last ice age is more accurate.

To say that we should switch over to biodiesel because it's a renewable energy source and will keep us from putting more carbon into the atmosphere is mostly a gimmick. The amount of energy you have to burn to produce biodiesel verses how much you get out of it is about 1 to 1, which is far less efficient than producing petroleum based fuels. Other fuels like ethanol are more viable, but you in any case, you can't really call these "green fuels" truly environmentally friendly either. While the byproducts of these fuels are basically non-toxic and biodegradable, indiscriminate dumping of such waste products can lead to other ecological problems.

For many scientist that I know, the issue really isn't how do we reverse the problem. Even if we could, that kind of technology is way way way out there by any realistic projection. The issue is how do we adapt to such drastic changes to our planet. Because in reality, worrying about environmental issues is a luxury that people in the western world have. For many other people, feeding themselves and their families takes precedence. And if their rice patty that generates methane and carbon dioxide MIGHT produce problems 10, 20, or even a 100 years from now, it won't mean anything because they need it to keep themselves alive in the here and now.

In the end, Al Gore, Greenpeace, and just about any other "environmental" political body does not speak for the scientific community. They just prey on fear and the lack of understanding that the general public has about the real science in order for forward an agenda that in some cases can have even worse and immediate environmental, political, economic, and social consequences.
__________________

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

At least Al didn't claim to have invented CGI....LOL.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 AM
RedShirtWalking's Avatar
RedShirtWalking RedShirtWalking is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Well I don't think you are totally off base. I do think they are trying to "cry wolf" after the wolf has eaten all the chickens, so to speak.

But you must admit that the radical climate changes of the last 30 years or so are cause for concern, even if you don't belive in the whole "global warming" thing.

I think the changes people have started making are 30 years too late. I think we have damaged the Earth beyond our current capabilty to repair. I think this is why we are seeing a renewal in the space program, and planned flights to other planets, and loking into possible trying to terraform Mars.

If we don't devise some new technology to fix our own home, or colonize another, we may take our place with the dinosaurs within 100 years.
I think of it like the opening to Jurassic Park (the novel). The Earth has always supported life. We humans are just arrogant enough to assume it will always be human life.

Personally, I don't see the climate change in the last 30 years as radical at all. Cyclical? Perhaps. Sure, the average temperature of the globe has gone up less than one degree in the last thirty years or so, but that's not radical. Weather has only truly been recorded with any consistency for the last hundred years or so which, in reality, is a drop in the bucket of time.

I also don't think the Earth is damaged beyond repair. I think this planet is remarkably rejuvenative and I think it's proven that over millions of years.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be responsible stewards of the planet. I just don't think the Earth is as fragile as people would have us think, though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 AM
RedShirtWalking's Avatar
RedShirtWalking RedShirtWalking is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
At least Al didn't claim to have invented CGI....LOL.
LMAO...good one!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.