The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > taxes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I used to say the same thing. Then I got one to build my credit. That actually worked. Then (when I was younger) I didn't completely control myself and found I had a huge balance. Since then I have gotten other credit cards with better APR's and just left the others open with a $0 balance. It seems that a debit card can almost do all the same things as a credit card, but not all. I think having a credit card and being responsible with it is a conveniance
Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, actually building yourself some credit history will do you a lot of good in the long run, Quark. Especially if you ever plan to get a loan to buy a car or house. Having no credit history is almost as detrimental as having bad credit, if not actually worse -- since a lender will have NO idea who you are or how you can pay them back. No credit history can even work against you should a prospective employer ever check your credit history to assess you.

If you get a credit card, get ONE and just use it responsibly, you'll do fine. A good general rule: avoid using your credit card for quick consumables when you can (food and miscellaneous stuff which you could easily buy with cash). Save it for bigger purchases and pay them off over time and on time.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Commander

Well if you have student loans.. that is also a starter... Just pay your loans on time and you're on your way. I only have one credit card and I spend it on things I would have bought anyways with cash, like food. I get reward points from Amazon.com! Using them to buy the star trek dvds!

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Or just pay yer taxes...LOL
Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
Well if you have student loans.. that is also a starter... Just pay your loans on time and you're on your way. I only have one credit card and I spend it on things I would have bought anyways with cash, like food. I get reward points from Amazon.com! Using them to buy the star trek dvds!
I should amend my earlier comment, thanks to Ditroi's words:

When I said try not to buy cheap consumables with a credit card, I should have said don't do so and not pay off your balance each month. You don't want to be paying 19% interest on a Big Mac from McDonalds three months ago.

I found frequent flyer miles very beneficial from my credit card, and used them to pay for or upgrade many trips. Funny you mention Amazon, Ditroi... that's where all my spare change goes. I cash in my coins periodically for an Amazon gift certificate and splurge. Amazing how fast dimes and quarters can add up to a few DVDs.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I'm never going to get a credit card. Too much of a pain...no thanks!
You don't have a choice now a days, you need it to build credit. Even to rent an apartment you need good credit. And when you get a car, you need it. Just but what you can pay every month and your credit will build
Old 04-18-2008, 04:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
You don't have a choice now a days, you need it to build credit. Even to rent an apartment you need good credit. And when you get a car, you need it. Just but what you can pay every month and your credit will build
Not if you have a decnt bankwith a good Visa/Mastercard debit card that you use like credit. the advantage is you can never go over limit, because it's limited by the $$$ in your account.