The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Bad SF Shows!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Yeah, Battle Beyond the Stars was bad allright... nothing good came out of that movie...

Except maybe for James Horner (who did the score, before he did ST II: WOK) or James Cameron (Who started off in the model shop and ended up art directing the film and later did the Terminator movies, the Abyss, Titanic, and a few other little known, low budget movies like that...) or the start of Chuck Comisky's FX career (Who later did the Abyss, Batman Begins, and a host of others)

Yup. Nothing good to say about BBTS.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Yeah, Battle Beyond the Stars was bad allright... nothing good came out of that movie...

Except maybe for James Horner (who did the score, before he did ST II: WOK) or James Cameron (Who started off in the model shop and ended up art directing the film and later did the Terminator movies, the Abyss, Titanic, and a few other little known, low budget movies like that...) or the start of Chuck Comisky's FX career (Who later did the Abyss, Batman Begins, and a host of others)

Battle Beyond The Stars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcjDJ0SdOjs

Speaking of James Cameron, I wonder if he lists "Galxy Of Terror" on his resume, he was a 2nd unit director on that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7aIeeJQNvo
Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Terrific
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llY1rvs31Ps
Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Supertrain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9n1FMEruSM
Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah, and Richard Thomas and George Peppard are decent actors too, but the film still sucked.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Yeah, and Richard Thomas and George Peppard are decent actors too, but the film still sucked.
Don't forget Robert Vaughn.

Don't forget the script basically ripped of "The Magnificent Seven."
Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Well, "Magnificent Seven" was a rip off of "Seven Samurai" and other movies have ripped off that plot too... Even Pixar's "Bug's Life." What Made BBTS better than just another rip off was the script by John Sayles. He turned it into a sort of study how other alien species approach death, which was kinda cool.

The worst science fiction movie I'd ever seen come out of the 80's was a crummy little turd of a movie called "Star Crystal." Basically, it was "Alien" except that the beast finds Jesus at the end of the movie and apologizes for all the people it's eaten...

Total crap!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Well, "Magnificent Seven" was a rip off of "Seven Samurai" and other movies have ripped off that plot too... Even Pixar's "Bug's Life." What Made BBTS better than just another rip off was the script by John Sayles. He turned it into a sort of study how other alien species approach death, which was kinda cool.

The worst science fiction movie I'd ever seen come out of the 80's was a crummy little turd of a movie called "Star Crystal." Basically, it was "Alien" except that the beast finds Jesus at the end of the movie and apologizes for all the people it's eaten...

Total crap!
I had forgotten about "Seven Samurai" I need to see that again. Man that movie does indeed sound horrid!!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

"Starship Invasions" with Robert Vaughn should be close to the top of READY BAD SF.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Vice Admiral

Oh, yeah, Starship Invasions! With Chris Lee! Very bad movie, but somehow still entertaining... (in a campy way) I wonder whatever happened to the giant inflatable UFO they used in that movie? (for all the shots where one of the saucers was sitting on the gound.)

Or... how about my favorite bad, bad science fiction movie of all time? "Starcrash." Caroline Munro, Marjoe Gortner, and a texan robot... spaceships made in 3 days, with plastic model sprues glued on to give them "piping detail." And the same sets redressed throughout the entire film. Three or four times! Obvious Ray Harryhausen rip offs, obvious Lucas lightsaber rip offs, and some of the worst matte shots in the history of the movies since sound was introduced.