The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Bush be Gone
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
...and Katrina...
I hear this one a lot, and still don't understand it.

How is Bush to blame?

From an outsider's perspective, I have to point out... the parts of New Orleans that really suffered were, um... well, built SIX FEET below sea level, on average.

That's just a dumb thing to do, and it was done long before Bush was president. If there's one thing history has 'shewn', it's that humanity is fallible; in a 'battle' between it and nature, nature will always have it's victories. The flooding of any below-sea-level portion was, well... practically guaranteed.

In an 'ideal' world, any house built in such areas would have foundations that exceed both mean sea-level and high-flood-tide... instead, due to human nature, you get the cheapest and most poorly built residences there BECAUSE they are guaranteed to be eventually destroyed - it's land nobody with the money to build elsewhere wanted.

Sad, yes, and the fact it is 'inevitable' under the current assumed standard of human nature is unfortunate, as well... but I still fail to understand how on-going and painfully obvious human stupidity is laid at the doorstep of whomever happens to be the current sitting president.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Well, when it comes to people dying for no reason, and taking over another country, that is when I begin to care. Who are we to say no one else can have nuclear weapons? Who are we to decide to take over another country, let alone a country that had no involvement with 9/11?
I didn't say anything about that
and am not saying he had a right to do that
Quote:
and about him keeping us safe...yeah 9/11, Katrina...perfect examples. I guess sitting and playing the guitar while millions of black Americans lost their homes and died was more important for this President.
Katrina was an unavoidable natural disaster that wasn't well taken care of
Quote:
I beg to differ on him keeping us safe. Unless of course if you disregard 9/11 and Katrina...
...you already said that buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post

How is Bush to blame?
that's what I wonder
anything that goes wrong in this country is the president automatically responsible? NO
Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post

How is Bush to blame?

From an outsider's perspective, I have to point out... the parts of New Orleans that really suffered were, um... well, built SIX FEET below sea level, on average.

That's just a dumb thing to do, and it was done long before Bush was president. If there's one thing history has 'shewn', it's that humanity is fallible; in a 'battle' between it and nature, nature will always have it's victories. The flooding of any below-sea-level portion was, well... practically guaranteed.

In an 'ideal' world, any house built in such areas would have foundations that exceed both mean sea-level and high-flood-tide... instead, due to human nature, you get the cheapest and most poorly built residences there BECAUSE they are guaranteed to be eventually destroyed - it's land nobody with the money to build elsewhere wanted.

Sad, yes, and the fact it is 'inevitable' under the current assumed standard of human nature is unfortunate, as well... but I still fail to understand how on-going and painfully obvious human stupidity is laid at the doorstep of whomever happens to be the current sitting president.
For one thing, he is the President of the United States and he could have acted sooner. He simply didn't because they were black.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
For one thing, he is the President of the United States and he could have acted sooner. He simply didn't because they were black.
I don't believe that

but lil' bush has never been a great man of action, or quick decision-maker for that matter
Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Rear Admiral

The guy's a moron. It's simple as that. He was a C average student at Yale, who only got in because of his daddy. He hasn't had any real military experience. He can't even speak English!

Fans Expendable
Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Vice Admiral

Bush catches the blame for Katrina because he appointed his buddy "Brownie" whose resume listed a f$%&#$@ horse club as his most recent job. I bet there weren't any, say, QUALIFIED people who could have handled the job?
And let us ponder: if Katrina had hit Palm Beach, do you think those rich white folk would have been stuffed with no food or water into a sports arena? Do you think we would have seen dead old white ladies floating down the street? You know we wouldn't have.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Who are we to say no one else can have nuclear weapons?
Oy, Vey!

Short and highly 'inaccurate', due to it's brevity, response: America has no right to be the 'World's Policeman'... except that what it experienced as a result of it's pre-WWII isolationist stance... which came about directly as a result of it's pre-isolationist arrogance!

Adm. Perry sails into Edo (Tokyo) Harbor, and demands Japan trade with it - backed up by the cannons Japan could have had, but had decried as a cultural decision to remain 'perfect' in it's own equivalent of Feudalism. (P.S. - the origin of the term 'gunboat diplomacy'.) In the face of this threat, Japan is forced into become an industrialized nation, reliant on outside sources, including steel and other goods, but - most importantly -oil and coal. Then, seeing too much foreign trade, America sees Japan as a competitor, and sets up a blockade to deny it imports. The FIRST fleet hit is the most direct threat - the U.S. 'Philippine' fleet. (Little note of this is made, historically, as it was technically not 'U.S. Territory'.) Shortly thereafter... (Dec. 7. by U.S. calenders, Dec. 8., same as Philippines, by Japanese - Itn'l Date Line...), Pearl Harbor is hit - with the intent of stopping the Americans form continuing their purposeful plan to 'choke' the now industry-dependent nation that the U.S. forced into that position in the first place...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Rear Admiral

I understand that, however it doesn't mean we can't live in this world peacefully. I'm glad Iran hasn't bought into the ruse the U.S. wants them to do. The U.S. claims they want to negotiate, and Iran is totally open for that. In reality however, the U.S. really wants to start a war with them and make it seem like they (Iran) are unwilling to negotiate. lol And believe me, it will not be like Iraq. We would be wiped clean because Iran doesn't play games.

Fans Expendable

Last edited by Quark : 04-11-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Bush catches the blame for Katrina because he appointed his buddy "Brownie" whose resume listed a f$%&#$@ horse club as his most recent job. I bet there weren't any, say, QUALIFIED people who could have handled the job?
And let us ponder: if Katrina had hit Palm Beach, do you think those rich white folk would have been stuffed with no food or water into a sports arena? Do you think we would have seen dead old white ladies floating down the street? You know we wouldn't have.
THANK YOU!!!

Fans Expendable
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
THANK YOU!!!

My pleasure. If you really want to grind your teeth, read up on how the FDA and EPA have been coopted by the cronies as well.