The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Would Janeway Have had A Board Of Inquiry After Returning Home?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
She only really did that as a side effect of going back to try and save Seven, it wasn't entirely her main aim. She just wanted to use them to get the ship home sooner than the original timeline.
Hmm raises a good question..what was 7 of 9's reception when they got home?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, i don't think that she would have been shipped of to lab to be tested inside and out, and i think her records from what she had done on Voyager would have stood her in good stead but she probably would have been involved in heavy debriefs over Borg technology, the extent of their existence etc. She might have had a hard time adjusting to a population where maybe not everyone would trust her initially, but I think generally the reaction would have been ok.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Well, i don't think that she would have been shipped of to lab to be tested inside and out, and i think her records from what she had done on Voyager would have stood her in good stead but she probably would have been involved in heavy debriefs over Borg technology, the extent of their existence etc. She might have had a hard time adjusting to a population where maybe not everyone would trust her initially, but I think generally the reaction would have been ok.
You don't think Starfleet would have treid, like they did with Data, to classify her as a non person and then take her part?

Data had a great Starfleet career, but still Starfleet treid to classify him as a non person, so they could rip him apart to find out how he worked.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
You don't think Starfleet would have treid, like they did with Data, to classify her as a non person and then take her part?

Data had a great Starfleet career, but still Starfleet treid to classify him as a non person, so they could rip him apart to find out how he worked.
The difference is that they had a valid reason to register data as a non person. Seven of Nine *is* human and as such would have had rights no matter what, had they declared her a non person they would have to declare Picard as a non person as well.

Plus I would find it hard to believe that a society that granted full rights to an android and limited rights to a hologram to restrict the rights of a human
Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes but the legal precedent was set that they couldn't, so as seven actually was sigificantly more physically human than Data there's no reason the same precedent could not apply. In fact she could not possibly be considered 'property' as she was too human by the time the ship returned.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron View Post
The difference is that they had a valid reason to register data as a non person. Seven of Nine *is* human and as such would have had rights no matter what, had they declared her a non person they would have to declare Picard as a non person as well.

Plus I would find it hard to believe that a society that granted full rights to an android and limited rights to a hologram to restrict the rights of a human
It could be argued by her cyborg nature that she is not fully human, and thus, property.

Picard had a 100% removal of Borg technology, he had not been fully assimilated. 7 of 9 was a fully assimilated Borg, even after the numerous operations she was still almost 40% Borg technology that couldn't be removed.

On your idea of anrdoid vs human, are we not just a large walking organic android? Is not the brain the most complex organic computer known?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Picard has an artifical heart, you could argue he's not fully human. Without it he would die.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Picard has an artifical heart, you could argue he's not fully human. Without it he would die.
But it is not the unknown technology of an enemy race either.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Federation Councillor

But the principle is that both are reliant on implanted and essential technology to survive. If a sentient being stands in front of you and says 'I am a friend, I will not harm you', do you automatically distrust her, after years of service to the contrary, beacuse you don't like where the tech came from.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
But the principle is that both are reliant on implanted and essential technology to survive. If a sentient being stands in front of you and says 'I am a friend, I will not harm you', do you automatically distrust her, after years of service to the contrary, beacuse you don't like where the tech came from.
Starfleet seems to be of the opinon if it's Borg in any way shape or form, discet it ot destroy it.

What do you think?