The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Should Janeway and Chakotay have got together?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Default Should Janeway and Chakotay have got together?

When I first watched Voyager, I really wanted to see a romantic relationship develop between Janeway and Chakotay. They seemed quite well suited. She is quite fiery and he is quite calm most of the time. There seemed to be a bit of a spark between them.

I would agree with them in resolutions though (I think that was the episode name... the one where they are abandoned on a planet because they have an infectious disease) that it was best for them not to have that kind of relationship. However, I do think that if they had stayed on that ship for much longer they would have got together (Seven or no Seven).

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 02-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

That relationship would have made a lot more sense than Chakotay/Seven. There was indeed a lot of respect, caring, and a very strong friendship between Chakotay and Janeway. But considering their positions onboard the ship, it was best not to go there. If I remember correctly, there were a few decisions made by either one of them that were evidently tainted because of the way they felt about each other. So imagine if they had actually been a couple...

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Commander

Would have definitely made more sense than Chakotay-Seven, but I still don't think it would have worked that well, they had a respect and a strong friendship but didn't bounce off each other with the kind of chemistry that other characters have.

In a way Chakotay would have been Janeway's *****, ie. he tried to stand up to her in Scorpion and Equinox and just gets shot down.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post

In a way Chakotay would have been Janeway's *****, ie. he tried to stand up to her in Scorpion and Equinox and just gets shot down.
That is a very good point Roysten.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Commander

Janeway would never have allowed a relationship to develop between them due to the Starfleet protocol of not fraternizing with under-ranking officers. Janeway was as uptight about Starfleet regulations as Picard, plus she was married. The only way they could have gotten together was if the Kayzon had kept possession of VOYAGER, and the crew was forced to live out the rest of their days on that planet they were abandoned on. Without a starship, there would be no need for rank, or the pretense of Starfleet regulations to govern their behavior. As Captain she could only have the luxury of holo-romances. I think it would have been inappropriate for her to develop a relationship with Chakotay, neither could Chakotay develop a relationship with anyone onboard, only equally ranked officers, or junior officers could have that luxury.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't think Starfleet has such a 'lower rank' protocol - or if they did then Picard seemed to violate it quite nonchalontly in 'Lessons' when he had his relationship with Lt Cmdr Nella Darren.

And Janeway wasn't married - unless you mean 'to the ship' style.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Janeway would never have allowed a relationship to develop between them due to the Starfleet protocol of not fraternizing with under-ranking officers. Janeway was as uptight about Starfleet regulations as Picard, plus she was married. The only way they could have gotten together was if the Kayzon had kept possession of VOYAGER, and the crew was forced to live out the rest of their days on that planet they were abandoned on. Without a starship, there would be no need for rank, or the pretense of Starfleet regulations to govern their behavior. As Captain she could only have the luxury of holo-romances. I think it would have been inappropriate for her to develop a relationship with Chakotay, neither could Chakotay develop a relationship with anyone onboard, only equally ranked officers, or junior officers could have that luxury.
Janeway definitely wasn't married. She was engaged to Mark Johnston, not married to him. Am I wrong in thinking that Picard and Crusher ended up together? They were definitely together in the novel Before Dishonor. I would think the doc of a starship would be lower in rank to the Captain.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I don't think Starfleet has such a 'lower rank' protocol - or if they did then Picard seemed to violate it quite nonchalontly in 'Lessons' when he had his relationship with Lt Cmdr Nella Darren.

And Janeway wasn't married - unless you mean 'to the ship' style.
MyBad. I thought Marc was Janeway's husband. If they were only engaged, that totally got by me. In which episode was that revealed?

On the rank thing, i believe it only applied to Commanding officers. On VOYAGER, that would mean only Chakotay and Janeway couldn't have relationships with lower ranking crew, being the crew's commanding officers. If you don't serve together on the same ship, no problem.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Admiral

She mentions a number of times that he is her fiance.

Quote:
At the time Janeway was commissioned as captain of Voyager, she was engaged to Mark Johnson, with whom she discussed the fate of her pregnant dog. Believing her dead after Voyager was lost in the Delta Quadrant, he married another woman in 2374. (VOY: "Caretaker", "Hunters")
this is from Memory Alpha. She discusses the man she was engaged to in "The Disease" when she and Harry have a stand up argument.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think it's more like the Captains chosing to seperate themselves from the crew to a certain extent because they feel that it is the right thing to do more than it is something spelled out in regulations.

As was noted above, Picard did his thing and he is a pretty by the book character. In the end, it didn't work out for him either.