The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Genesis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Federation Councillor

You sure do Livingston.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I also wondered why the music of Genesis and the music of Collins became pretty much the same by the late 80's. Sems like collins tried to make his solo stuff sound like Genesis of the era.
Or might it be that his sound 'took over' Genesis to a large degree, then when he went solo, he simply continued that sound on his own?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Or might it be that his sound 'took over' Genesis to a large degree, then when he went solo, he simply continued that sound on his own?
Like John Fogerty kept the sound of CCR(Creedence Clearwater Revival)?

Hmmmm...maybe!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I also wondered why the music of Genesis and the music of Collins became pretty much the same by the late 80's. Sems like collins tried to make his solo stuff sound like Genesis of the era.
Z, Metal Beastie, thanks for the compliment. I get a lot of crap from friends for liking Genesis, but seems most people think of Collins solo stuff and albums like Invisible Touch when they think of Genesis, I mostly like the older stuff, but still each album has some really great stuff on it!

As far as Genesis and Collins solo stuff sounding similar I remember hearing that when they recorded Duke, Collins brought in loads of material he had written and wanted to work some of it into the band's writing. One song he brought was In the Air Tonight and the other two guys didn't feel it was right and so he took most of the material and recorded a solo album. I think throughout the 80's Genesis starting recording songs that sounded much more Collins like, but they always did have certain songs on each album that retained their sound; Domino on Invisible Touch, Home by the Sea on Genesis, Fading Lights on We Can't Dance. But yeah, I think the other two guys felt they were becoming more of a back up band to Collins so Collins started recording his own stuff, still like the Genesis better.

Similar with The Police I think, About the time they recorded Synchronicity and Ghost in the Machine Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland felt they were becoming a back up band to Sting. You really hear it on Synchronicity I think, but hands down a great album. I like Sting's solo stuff alot too, especially The Soul Cages.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 04-10-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Z, Metal Beastie, thanks for the compliment. I get a lot of crap from friends for liking Genesis, but seems most people think of Collins solo stuff and albums like Invisible Touch when they think of Genesis, I mostly like the older stuff, but still each album has some really great stuff on it!

As far as Genesis and Collins solo stuff sounding similar I remember hearing that when they recorded Duke, Collins brought in loads of material he had written and wanted to work some of it into the band's writing. One song he brought was In the Air Tonight and the other two guys didn't feel it was right and so he took most of the material and recorded a solo album. I think throughout the 80's Genesis starting recording songs that sounded much more Collins like, but they always did have certain songs on each album that retained their sound; Domino on Invisible Touch, Home by the Sea on Genesis, Fading Lights on We Can't Dance. But yeah, I think the other two guys felt they were becoming more of a back up band to Collins so Collins started recording his own stuff, still like the Genesis better.

Similar with The Police I think, About the time they recorded Synchronicity and Ghost in the Machine Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland felt they were becoming a back up band to Sting. You really hear it on Synchronicity I think, but hands down a great album. I like Sting's solo stuff alot too, especially The Soul Cages.

The Police is not a bad analogy at all! But I allways felt that the main material force in that badn was Sting from day one. But as you pointed out "Ghost and "Synch" are at the point where you can hear the breakup of the band in the albums.

Genesis of the mid 80's, and early 90's rally lost it's idenetity to me.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The Police is not a bad analogy at all! But I allways felt that the main material force in that badn was Sting from day one. But as you pointed out "Ghost and "Synch" are at the point where you can hear the breakup of the band in the albums.

Genesis of the mid 80's, and early 90's rally lost it's idenetity to me.
Yeah, I'd say Genesis after Abacab was heading to a new sound and then on their last album in the early 90's their sound was changing again but they called it quits. I don't listen to the albums after Abacab very often except for the self titled Genesis, it does have some good tracks on it, but all in on all it's mostly 70's Genesis I listen to.

Like the new avatar, a good solution to all the suggestions you got!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Yeah, I'd say Genesis after Abacab was heading to a new sound and then on their last album in the early 90's their sound was changing again but they called it quits. I don't listen to the albums after Abacab very often except for the self titled Genesis, it does have some good tracks on it, but all in on all it's mostly 70's Genesis I listen to.

Like the new avatar, a good solution to all the suggestions you got!
TY on the new avitar!

I would think by the early 90's they were ready to call it quits because Genesis/Phil Collins Solo were indistingusihable.

I feel the band lost alot of it's elf image and identity when it went pop and commercial.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

I think a major reason for that was losing Steve Hackett, they lost him back in the late 70's and gave Genesis of the 70's their more guitar heavy stuff. After he left, you really didn't have the great solos of songs like Firth of Fifth, The Knife, Supper's Ready and The Musical Box. When Hackett left, the keyboards really came to the front and you got all the commercial stuff of the 80's, back in the 70's the keyboards and guitars were more even and jived better. I think when they lost Hackett they were a different band.

Also the band were down to three and Michael Rutherford was playing guitars and bass guitars in the studio and he isn't anything like Steve Hackett, Hackett's playing always reminded my of Clapton when he was with Cream, he just really had style and that whole dimension of the band was lost. I mean they'd have to record a track with guitars and then record again to lay down a bass track, I know alot of music is recorded that way now, but I think they lost something by not being able to have all four of them thrashing away in a studio.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I think a major reason for that was losing Steve Hackett, they lost him back in the late 70's and gave Genesis of the 70's their more guitar heavy stuff. After he left, you really didn't have the great solos of songs like Firth of Fifth, The Knife, Supper's Ready and The Musical Box. When Hackett left, the keyboards really came to the front and you got all the commercial stuff of the 80's, back in the 70's the keyboards and guitars were more even and jived better. I think when they lost Hackett they were a different band.

Also the band were down to three and Michael Rutherford was playing guitars and bass guitars in the studio and he isn't anything like Steve Hackett, Hackett's playing always reminded my of Clapton when he was with Cream, he just really had style and that whole dimension of the band was lost. I mean they'd have to record a track with guitars and then record again to lay down a bass track, I know alot of music is recorded that way now, but I think they lost something by not being able to have all four of them thrashing away in a studio.
Mike for me was more of a supporting gutair role, than a lead. So that makes total sense.

Relistening to Hackett reminds me more of Leslie West of Moutain, than Cream.

Well in the 60-late 70's the old 4 and 8 track systems were for very limited mixing. But look at soem ofd what was produced though, Beatles Sgt. Pepper, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side." But this involves alot of creative thinking and streching of tape, and things no one would attempt today.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Mike for me was more of a supporting gutair role, than a lead. So that makes total sense.

Relistening to Hackett reminds me more of Leslie West of Moutain, than Cream.

Well in the 60-late 70's the old 4 and 8 track systems were for very limited mixing. But look at soem ofd what was produced though, Beatles Sgt. Pepper, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side." But this involves alot of creative thinking and streching of tape, and things no one would attempt today.
Yeah, great point! On a side note, I found this interesting. On the album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, the sleeve notes have these stories Gabriel wrote, very surreal, strange, well, it's Gabriel! Anyway William Freidkin, just finished The Exorcist and he listened to this album alot and liked the stories Gabriel wrote and wanted to work with him on a screenplay, Gabriel said okay and the band just kept writing, which was to become A Trick of the Tail and the project with Freidkin fell through and then Gabriel quite the band. Always thought that was interesting.