The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Dominion War Trilogy?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

There is so much information and thoughts about after the Dominion Wars which basically and almost destroyed the federation and its fleet there so much that could be said and done and stories. Specially if you have read any of the novels they are just awesome and it endless in part to the new alliances the dominion being there own and so on and so forth.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelio1985 View Post
you should really get more into DS9, IMO it is the 2nd best Trek Series after TNG.you missed some really great episodes (, yet)!

But what do you think of the idea, that J.J. wants to do a Trilogy with this project he is now on (Trek)?
U think that has a chance?
It all depends on how this first movie does. I wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy with this cast, but I don't really know how they are going to do it. I guess there's still a lot of open history pre-TOS.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKetch View Post
As much as I like DS9 I always carry around the thought that its exactly what Gene Roddenberry didn't want Star Trek to become. Even though Insurrection and Nemesis weren't box office giants I still enjoyed both of them.
Well I enjoyed Insurrection, too, to be honest.
But IMO Nemesis was absolutely "unenjoyable", by far the worst ST Movie (even worse than STV), not even a good "action-movie"!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Storm Pictures View Post
-- but in my opinion, Star Trek was always about the TOS ship and their adventures and that crew. It's the ''core'' of everything that is Star Trek.
You are not, by any chance, J.J.?

Well anyway, I am afraid that I have to disagree. TOS was only a experiment, the "real" Star Trek, or the "core" if you want is IMO TNG, because this Series was created by Roddenberry himself, too, like TOS,
BUT unlike TOS Roddenberry had more time for this to create, he had put more thought into this series.
And you feel that, because the universe of TNG was much more complex and better developed than TOS (And I don´t mean from the budget, the make up and the special effects).
No, I mean the story around the TNG Crew, the ethics, the stories itself and so on.

And the most important Point is, that Roddenberry himself said, that Star Trek should always MOVE ON and not go back wards (that was the mistake with ENT as well)!
So I really think, TNG caught the spirit of Gene much better than TOS and is for this the "core" of Star Trek and IMO the "best" Trek Series!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Ensign

I think that if everybody is openmindet to this new movie than there will be a chance for a triology!! I would prefer it!!
And I like the story about the Dominion too!!!
I read some books about the TNG crew druing the war and I was realy impressed!!
I always wanted to see a movie about that, the 1701-E druing the war and maybe a crossover with ds9!! But I know, now it's to late for that!!
But I hope that JJ makes a good new beginning and enables the franchise to lift up again!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 AM
Ensign

The problem with Gene is that from time to time he got too self-indulgent with his universe and forgot basic storytelling. You can see that in TOS vs. TNG. TOS is formulaic, basic storytelling. Don't forget that. That's why TOS works in ways that TNG (yes, with it's baddie of the week and it's numerous complexities, plus its trips to the analyst's couch) doesn't.

TNG prided itself on describing the Radiant Future where all the Plumbing Works and Nothing Goes Wrong. In TOS, things still can go wrong. That's the foundation of good drama, and that's something that Gene may have forgotten as he moved into the 24th Century.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by section9 View Post
That's why TOS works in ways that TNG doesn't.
Well, In TNG some things did get wrong (very often, when I am thinking about the holodeck) AND TNG was a much more succesfull show than TOS!!
Please don´t forget that! TNG is the most succesfull Sci-Fi Series of all times!!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:09 AM
Ensign

Yes you're right!!
But what is now with dsn??
It was succesfull too!!
I think that in our days the way TNG works will not work a new series.
The concept of travelling from system to system and tell only unconnectet stories is oldfashioned!!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Ensign

I think the only way to do this now would be to have an all new crew and ship
Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I don't know it could still be done! A TNG/DS9 crossover movie would be awesome and to have The Dominon in it would be even greater!