The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > PRICE DROP on Series DVDs!!! Finally!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I have a blu-ray player and regular DVDs look just fine on it. No loss of quality at all, indeed, the upconversion seems to help.

I'm not planning on replacing all my DVDs with blu-ray discs, but I will buy the best Star Trek movies on blu-ray because...well, who doesn't want to see Genesis explode on blu-ray?

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Commander

Angry WHAT THE HELL!?!?! Its up again!

I was browsing the Star Trek dvds again on Amazon... looking to the Enterprise series.... it went from $35 all the way back up to $60-$70. Just because people are buying again... oh we're hot again bump it up... make more profit!!! Greedy stupid business people sitting up there in CBS!!! AARGH!!!!

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Whoooo!!! Celebrate good times, come on! Yay, maybe by Christmas they'll have the Enterprise ones in Costco at an even more cut price.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Paramount should be ashamed of the prices it's charged historically for these sets; fortunately I've never debased myself to the point of paying for them. My local library system has all the TOS and TNG season sets, and VOY airs at least 4 times a day here (assuming I ever wanted to watch it). I assume the library will eventually amass a DS9 collection.

And ultimately, I never thought it wise to invest the thousands it would've taken to buy the 28 collected seasons of Trek, not counting TAS, in a low-resolution format like DVD. Such an investment woud likely be permenant, unless you're Bill Gates and can find the money to replace them all stuck in the seat of your Rolls Royce; so I'd rather wait on actually buying it until it's in HD or better. Even then, though, I'll never be willing to pay more than $40-$45 CDN per season. Until that day, despite Trek being my favourite franchise and something I'd like to support, I'd prefer ripping Paramount off and buying the bootlegs or borrowing it from the library than helping them justify their exorbitant prices.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
Paramount should be ashamed of the prices it's charged historically for these sets; fortunately I've never debased myself to the point of paying for them.
Wow, that kinda made me feel like a prostitute. (I use prostitute 'cause the site doesn't allow *****)
Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Commander

Main reason I do not own any seasons. Can't find myself paying so much. Iown stargate ones and not star trek a bit shamful I know.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Hey, I'm not too proud to purchase my Star Trek fix....but it is irksome...

I did find used copies of the HD/DVD hybrid season one Remastered on Amazon for $62...that should be arriving soon and they are accepting pre-orders on season 2 remastered for something like $65 so I'll probably do that....My husband asked me who would get my sets of the original series as aired...I said I'd agree to put them in a closet but that they were not leaving!!!!

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Definitely hang on to those, Eliza... great for compare/contrast, if nothing else!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
Main reason I do not own any seasons. Can't find myself paying so much. Iown stargate ones and not star trek a bit shamful I know.
When you could get 2 stargate seasons for the price of one startrek one its not shamefull. Beside I like Stargate better than trek currently. *Ducks behind a wall*
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Lieutenant

I bought Seasons 2-7 of Voyager on Ebay. Some were new, some were used, all authentic. (Well I did get a fake, very fake, season 2 but I got my money back) I paid about $50 per season. I have season 1 on itunes for 35 I think, but I can't burn a DVD of it, crap, so now someday I need to get season 1.

I wish DS9 would come down. I never really got into DS9, and I really want to see the show.