The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Does anyone know how the Borg collective got started?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Haven't we played Legacy?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Midshipman

Me and my wife were talking about that the other day as we started season 4 of Voyager. The V'ger thing is quite interesting. I wonder if Star Trek will come out with an official story.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Midshipman

I just thought of this though the Borg existed before V'ger united with decker. In First Contact the Borg were already in existence in the delta quadrant.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by m24762 View Post
I just thought of this though the Borg existed before V'ger united with decker. In First Contact the Borg were already in existence in the delta quadrant.
Yeah, but how would Crusher know that? Section 31 could have probably left that a secret since the incident in 2271, and revealed it when Q first brought the Enterprise-D in contact with them. I mean, I'm thinking she said that because if they did exist during the late 21st century, it would have been where they were from. And after the merging of Ilia and Decker, V'Ger left Earth to probably return to the Machine Planet. The Machine Planet could have been in the Delta Quadrant. They never mentioned where the location for that planet was.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Yeah, but how would Crusher know that? Section 31 could have probably left that a secret since the incident in 2271, and revealed it when Q first brought the Enterprise-D in contact with them. I mean, I'm thinking she said that because if they did exist during the late 21st century, it would have been where they were from. And after the merging of Ilia and Decker, V'Ger left Earth to probably return to the Machine Planet. The Machine Planet could have been in the Delta Quadrant. They never mentioned where the location for that planet was.
I tend to agree the whole thing got buired and lost over time. ENT even mentioned that Cocherane later in life had "delusions" about "robot aliens" prior to first contact, that he later recanted.

The problem I have with the V'ger/Borg connection is that V'Ger did not act like an assimilated pecie of Borg technology. Ever instance we have seen of the Borg all their technology is geared towards assimilating whatever it encountered.

Now I could go for a planet where maybe the original race that became cybernetic, where some splintered off to become the Borg for some reason. V'Ger could have landed there, been fixed by the benevolent cybernetic/machine inabitants with simular base technology.