The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Does anyone know how the Borg collective got started?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Does anyone know how the Borg collective got started?

Did some mad scientist on some faraway world just all of a sudden start attaching machines to himself and others and the more they did it, the more of their individaulity they lost, until they decided that everyone should be a cyborg, or what? The Borg aren't a race that evolved naturally, that much is obvious!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

There is a connection with V'Ger in some non-canon stories...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Rear Admiral

Wow. I'm almost embarassed to say that question never occurred to me. A V'GER connection sounds cool.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

According to several things I've read, Gene himself stated the idea of a connection to V'Ger... that the "machine planet" the probe visited was in fact the Borg homeworld... and that is was the Borg who refitted V'Ger and sent it back

In the PC game Star Trek Legacy, V'Ger created the Borg:
"Its name was V'Ger. A probe - human origin. It fell into a black hole where space and even time are bent. Through whatever providence this machine survived... Living machines found the probe. Found it - and altered it... its programming a mystery to them. They interpreted it as best they could: Return to the creator. But it would find nothing, no others like it. And none that could have created it. In that moment, the probe decided all carbon-based life was an infestation in the creator's universe. Assimilation, that was their only useful purpose. As tools for it to learn and grow. It catalogued all carbon-based life and their technology. It created drones in their image and merged them into a collective consciousness. This is where the Borg began! Sent out as heralds to find its creator and to learn all that is learnable and return that information to V'Ger for assimilation. As the collective grew, the neccessity for a single voice became the only logical recourse. The collective found the females of certain species displayed a mental prowess enabeling them to sift through thousands of thoughts and bring order to chaos. Installing these females as the collective's processors of information, they became much more efficient. With thoughts and desires of her own, she was no longer bound to serve V'Ger, but the destruction of the Queen put a limit to the life of the collective. With its size and power unregulated, it will become chaos. Now, Vulcan patience will prevail. At the proper time, I will seize control of the collective and turn them into an instrument of logic and order. When they are at their weakest, I will take the place of the Queen. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Lieutenant

That sounds feasible. But the next question is, what happened to the inhabitants of the machine world?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Incredible! It really is a small world. We created V'Ger, V'Ger created the Borg, so in essence, we created the borg? Holy juxtaposition Batman!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Too bad it's not canon.

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 04-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

And it would raise a lot of questions too. Like V'Ger had some pretty powerful weaponry and Technology? What happened to that when the Borg were formed? Just lost? I mean that plasma weapon that could destroy entire planets... and could create anatomically perfect copies of humanoids in moments. Now it was a nice and even cool premise, but it doesn't make sense.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
Incredible! It really is a small world. We created V'Ger, V'Ger created the Borg, so in essence, we created the borg? Holy juxtaposition Batman!
Ok, nice idea..but wouldn't work. Like the thinking though.

As established in Voy, the Borg have been around for more than 1000 years.

The Borg are like a disease, they contaminate and control all they come into contact with. As opposed to their orignal premise of being "the ultimate consumers of technology." Later on, they just assimilated everything. I guess the writers missed that one LOL.

I know GR joked that he thought "the machine planet" V'ger went to was the Borg homeworld. But V'ger did not act as any assimilated technology would have.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Since V'Ger emerged in the past, anything is possible
btw, many things were changed in FC/VOY... in Q Who they didn't have gender

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-