The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Do you think that Paris should have been Demoted?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post Do you think that Paris should have been Demoted?

Do you think Paris should have been demoted in "Thirty Days" for trying to save a planet, against Janeway's Orders.

Lieutenant Thomas Eugene Paris, I hereby reduce you to the rank of ensign, and I sentence you to 30 days solitary confinement. - Captain Janeway

At least this time I broke the rules for reason, for something I believed in.
-Ensign Tom Paris, Thirty Days.

I personally say no, under Kirk's Command there would have been a Celebration...

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Ensign

The rules of starfleet are all that they have to hold on to. They told the race what was happening, it is up to them to correct the problem.

Disobaying the prime directive tends to get you a bit of whooping.

I say, yes. Purely because voyager told the aliens (forget their names) what was happening, why it was happening and how they could stop it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Tovo View Post
The rules of starfleet are all that they have to hold on to. They told the race what was happening, it is up to them to correct the problem.

Disobaying the prime directive tends to get you a bit of whooping.

I say, yes. Purely because voyager told the aliens (forget their names) what was happening, why it was happening and how they could stop it.
I know, but look at Picard and Kirk, they've broken the directive millions of times, every single Captain in the Series has. Even Janeway has. So I believe she was a Bigot, and a Hypocrite, for that.

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Rear Admiral

Kirk may have bent the Prime Directive at times, but Picard did not ever, hell he preached the Prime Directive in just about every TNG episode.

But, yeah.. I think Paris got what was coming to him. However, I think he got promoted again too quickly while Harry worked his butt off and never was promoted.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Lieutenant

I totally agree,

but let us not forget: it was paris (with the help of the doctor and Suder) who reclaimed Voyager in Basics. He saved the ship an number of times as for Harry..

But after a few years he did deserve a promotion (at least they should have made it a dual promotion Paris & Kim)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by arutha View Post
I totally agree,

but let us not forget: it was paris (with the help of the doctor and Suder) who reclaimed Voyager in Basics. He saved the ship an number of times as for Harry..

But after a few years he did deserve a promotion (at least they should have made it a dual promotion Paris & Kim)
Yeah. But look at Insurection, look at what Picard did, he did excatly what Paris did.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Captain

Demoted for breaking the prime directive? Hell, the prime directive was installed to get broken. Thats its purpose. Give the people a stupid law they can brake, so they go along with all the important laws.

How was your day?

Lets see, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, repaired my datapad, oh, and I broke the prime directive again this afternoon. Want to join for squash on the holodeck?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Demoted for breaking the prime directive? Hell, the prime directive was installed to get broken. Thats its purpose. Give the people a stupid law they can brake, so they go along with all the important laws.

How was your day?

Lets see, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, repaired my datapad, oh, and I broke the prime directive again this afternoon. Want to join for squash on the holodeck?
Excatly, I think that's what Roddenberry intended, but we can't really ask him though..... he's floating in space.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Yeah. But look at Insurection, look at what Picard did, he did excatly what Paris did.
No I'don't think so,

Prime directive says you can't intevene with a species that was not evolved to the same state of technology (Baku just did not use it)
Paris did it against the wishes of the local goverment, Picard was invited by the Baku
Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Federation Councillor

And again, poor Harry gets no promotion!! LOL