The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Trekkies Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Trekkies Movie

Okay, I just started watching the film Trekkies directed by Denise Crosby, after a long time. To be honest, I think it gives a negative depiction of us Star Trek fans. Not all of us go around wearing Starfleet uniforms or phasers on our belts. I, myself, am a proud fan of Star Trek, however you wouldn't really know it unless you got to know me. Even though I enjoy watching the movie, it kind of backfired in my opinion to show that us fans are a bunch of crazy, acid-loving fanatics even though that is not the case. What are your thoughts on the movie? Do you think it had an agenda to ridicule us fans? Or do you think it was just a way to show how Star Trek has influenced our culture and how it is still alive and well today?

*On a side note, the J.J. Abrams film really proved that Star Trek can be enjoyed by everyone and will probably bring in a bunch of new fans that will want to go back and watch the previous Prime Universe Star Trek.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think that many people really think that the majority of people who like a sci-fi or fantasy franchise dress like the characters in the respective shows. Trek is after all something a lot of people watch casually and while nobody would be here if he did not consider himself a fan of Trek I doubt that many of us watch more than 20 -30 h Trek per year. So this documentary is probably more about Trekkers being obsessed with this stupid geek stereotype than anything else.

I do not have any problem with people who do like to dress up. Never saw anybody dress up Trek-wise but when The Hobbit aired last winter there were some folks in the theatre who did dress like hobbits and I liked it as there was simply a thematic match between the clothes of some people and the movie.
What I do have a problem with though is lack of critical distance or the other extreme, criticism run amok. The Han shot first nonsense is the prime example for the latter.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Commander

I think there's certainly an amount of that in Trekkies, Quark. Watch Treekies 2, it's much more balanced, though not nearly as entertaining.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I think there's certainly an amount of that in Trekkies, Quark. Watch Treekies 2, it's much more balanced, though not nearly as entertaining.
Will do! Thanks!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Trekkies is an interesting (sometimes slightly troubling) film for those of us in the know....but for someone who might decide to take an interest in Trek, if this was the first thing they watched...they might get skeered off.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Other people wear soccer shirts of their favorite teams... XD

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Indeed. They're called fans.
And I've seen soccer fans! They amount almost to terrorists if their team loses.

I might wear a tee-shirt of "Serenity" or "Battlestar Galactica", but you won't see me cosplaying in public every day as Mal Reynolds or Admiral Adama. I wear the tee's out of a love for the shows, but I abandoned "fandom" a long time ago.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Some time ago we while taking with some friends Trek appeared in the discussion. And a friend of mine whom I had already known for several years back then mentioned that she saw pretty much all of VOY (whereas I only had watched fragments of VOY back then).
So most people who do watch Trek are casual viewers and not card carrying fans.

Sure, most of us here have watched all or nearly all of Trek and we can become passionate about it ... but just in Tellarite style. At the end of the day it is just a bunch of sci-fi shows and thus constitutes only a part of one's time spent on TV shows which again constitutes only a part of one's interests.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Some time ago we while taking with some friends Trek appeared in the discussion. And a friend of mine whom I had already known for several years back then mentioned that she saw pretty much all of VOY (whereas I only had watched fragments of VOY back then).
So most people who do watch Trek are casual viewers and not card carrying fans.

Sure, most of us here have watched all or nearly all of Trek and we can become passionate about it ... but just in Tellarite style. At the end of the day it is just a bunch of sci-fi shows and thus constitutes only a part of one's time spent on TV shows which again constitutes only a part of one's interests.
Bi-La Kaifa!

Old 05-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

And for the record, I am here, and I am NOT a fan.
I'm not a fan of anything anymore because of the oppressive nature of fandom.

I am simply one who loves what he loves.