The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > J.J. Abrams is rebooting Star Wars now..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Commander

Default J.J. Abrams is rebooting Star Wars now..

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/star-w...200300223.html

Why am I not surprised to see this?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Commander

From where I stand this is good news. And yet at the same time it's NO news, because it should already have been a forgone conclusion.

Disney is taking a practical approach in determining what should be considered canon. It's the same thing Berman and Brega did when they created Enterprise (and they were similarly called out for it). And it's also an inevitability.

With all respect to Timothy Zahn, you're not going to make a maga-million dollar movie and then tell your screenwriters not to work because fans want this novel or that comic book adapted instead. It's just not done. WB might consider incorporating the Death of Superman storyline into one of their movies; they would never strait out adapt it from the page. You would be cheated if they did.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Federation Councillor

From the article it sounds like Disney have done this (as referenced by the line they hired someone to sort through the expanded universe material) and not specifically Abrams himself.

For film and TV this is as it should be (I'm not aware of any of the hundreds of Star Trek novels being considered official canon either) and I'd agree that as much as many people would have liked to see the Zahn trilogy (which from memory is very good) I don't think that was ever a serious possibility.

I don't see this as a reboot when the article states the film continuity will be considered the equivalent of canon and the new film comes after them. Although Disney chief Alan Horn has recently been confirming Lucas is a 'consultant' on the film while seeming to make it clear Disney will be making the decisions from now on, as well as confirming the budget range. It doesn't quite sound like the Roddenberry freeze out after TMP but it seems implied Lucas is secondary to what Disney wants to do.

http://m.aol.com/moviefone/default/a...s-episode-vii/

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 04-25-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Commander

Ha! I love the way Horn said that: "So we now are the primary drivers behind this property. But he is a very valued person. He's the father of all this. Kathy interacts with him, back and forth I think."

It's reassuring PR to say 'you think' someone interacts with Lucas when you happen to be trying to make a movie. Which is not to say I have any investment in whether they do or don't (talk to him).

Earlier PR suggested these new films were based on Lucas' notes, though I don't see how that's possible. I'm glad Disney has picked up Lucas' known tendency to cloud the truth and rewrite history in favor of whatever is the current agenda. It wouldn't be Star Wars otherwise.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Commander

I agree after re-reading the article, its not really a reboot, the feature films and recent CGI animated series are canon. A true reboot would have negated all previous Star Wars lore and started from a clean slate. None of that here, the writers will be constrained from contradicting what's been established from Episode I-Episode IV.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Quote: "In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience"

This will not be Star Wars as we know it.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:24 AM
Commander

I don't follow.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Federation Councillor

While I'm still not totally sold on 'Episode VII' (but who am I kidding, I'm going to see it at least the once at the appropriate time) one part of me is wondering how the more critical and hardcore fans will be towards it. Lucas couldn't please them with the prequel trilogy so you would think they would be happy someone else is taking a pass at it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Commander

That's kinda where I am. I'm not really all that invested. I don't care. But someone's paying a lot of money to make them, which means I'm sure I'll end up seeing them.

I was turned off of The Avengers by the time it came out, and it took me almost two weeks to see it. I still got pulled in.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Quote: "In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience"

This will not be Star Wars as we know it.
It will have Abrams stamp on it. Not everyone is going like that, and there will be a noticeable divergence from what has gone before. How do I quantify that? Purely by gut instinct.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!