The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Janeway's forum is dead
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Commander

Default Janeway's forum is dead

As I sometimes do I checked out if anything had been happening on Janeway's defunct forum. I haven't been able to post on there for months (not that there's been much call to post on there anyway) because whenever I try it claims to be contaminated with Malware that can harm my computer.

Now it says that the page has been disabled so I guess it's finally given up the ghost. Slightly sad in some ways as for about a year there were some good discussion being had.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

It was a nice little place for awhile.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Commander

And to think we were gathered there when we thought this place had sunk. I just realized I don't even have a bookmark saved anymore. Guess I no longer need one.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

If I were starting a Trek forum I would want to set up a small test of Trek knowledge. Even one question should be enough to keep the spambots out, and someone registering could even be given a second chance if missing the first question. I remember being quizzed about a memorable Scotty quote at one site before being allowed to continue. I'm sure there is some low percentage of Trek fans that wouldn't be able to answer that particular question, but I didn't miss it in an effort to see if there was a second-chance question.

I admit to not knowing anything about how malware can affect a forum other than automated registration followed by some bad initial post and/or PMs, usually advertising. But I've seen shutdown notices citing overwhelming spambot problems.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Commander

Yeah it's funny how people have mostly gravitated back here, I occasionally look to see what's going on SB63's forum, that seems quite active.

A trek related admission question would actually be quite a good idea, doesn't have to be difficult, would be like the number or phrases you have to enter into some webpages before getting access to stuff.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

The problem with questions is that it could weed out good posters. Janeway herself was a very Voyger specific fan. She started branching out, but Voyager was her gateway to Trek. If you asked her a question early on about say Odo, she might not have known. But she was a quality poster.

There are lots of fans out there that are specific in that way.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Some forums ask for a brief statement on what a person wishing to join could contribute to the forum, which has to be read and approved by a moderator before registration can be completed.

But for a Trek forum, there could be a question on what the applicant's favorite Trek series is, followed by question about that series, both multiple choice with radio buttons. And there could be a second chance if the applicant misses the first quiz question. The question I was asked when joining (I think it was Ex Astris Scientia) was on a specific quote in a specific episode, but just a general question about a regular character should suffice just to screen out the spambots.

It seems like a more pleasant experience than dealing with CAPTCHA, and the applicant may just start out with more respect for that forum.

Last edited by LCARS 24 : 04-01-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Commander

Respect as opposed to what though? It's not as if people in general are generally disrespectful (If I'm ever disrespectful it's because I honestly felt it was long past warranted, at least at the time).

More to the point, I'm not sure I see the connection between keeping out spambots and whatever malware allegedly infected Janeway's forum, which may or may not have led to its shutting down. I'm so much a novice at this stuff that it's frankly embarrassing, but surely you need not apply to a forum in order to infect it (if you're that serious about doing so). This is all hypothetical anyway, right? I mean is anybody here actually starting up a new forum?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant Commander

By "respect for the forum" I just meant that screening registration based on subject knowledge should help give an impression that it's a good, well-managed forum, in addition to screening for spambots (automated programs that register on forums and post advertising).

On some forums you can see posts by new members with gibberish usernames that are nothing but advertising, usually having nothing to do with the theme of the forum. The operators of the forum have to watch for and remove those every day. The screening I mentioned is one way to deal with that. There are some forums that are actually closed to registration because of that problem. Many just give up and shut down.

The interest in small or new Trek forums apparently stems from the way the big forums operate, treating trolls as the most valued members, since they generate the most activity, even though it consists largely of attacking other members. On some, the moderators seem to encourage such behavior by doing nothing about it even when someone complains.

Aside from Trek forums, some can only maintain activity by having an unmoderated section where people can fight all they want, in some cases accounting for over 90% of the board's total activity.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Commander

I agree with the need for filtering out spambots. I'm not aware that Janeway's forum had that problem, as the malware reported would seem to be something different (though perhaps similarly invited by lack of continued maintenance).

Guess I count myself lucky to have not see some of the more extreme examples of trolling on msg boards. Beyond AICN that is.