The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. That's helpful. Getting it on search engines will benefit everybody. With my lcars24.com site, I resubmit once a week to Google, Yahoo, and MSN with one click, a feature provided by the host. But I couldn't find any such feature on the admin menus of Invision-free, and I was a bit surprised it didn't get submitted automatically by them. But I'm not complaining. It's free, and the package they provided enables a total newbie to operate the thing. At least I'm learning a few things.

Last edited by LCARS 24 : 05-23-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Joined. Just waiting on email link confirmation.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

MajQa, martok2112. Welcome aboard.

I did the Google Tools, which will probably take a week to have any effect. I also made a redirect page on my Web site with the forum name in the title and meta tags, since I saw that Sb63 has the same sort of thing. But also, Invision-Free did submit the new forum, and their submission started taking effect a few hours ago.

And still the only links to the forum are my site and this thread. Even though, it seems to be doing okay. The stats look good, with over a hundred posts and 500 topic views. I wouldn't measure its lifespan with an egg timer.

I guess there are only a dozen or so people still active over here, and only five whose names I know from here have registered at Star Trek Journal so far besides myself, but there have been some posts from you guys and a lot of lurkers, I assume mostly from here, since this thread is up over 1,000 views so far.

Anyway, it does come up on a Google search now, and I suppose individual threads eventually will, too.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

I like that you put in a fan-art section. That'll be a more appropriate place to display my CG sci-fi models, especially Star Trek.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Commander

I'm impressed LCARS, over 50 members and 12 who have posted already, I'm pleased it's going well!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Only 27 registered so far, and only five besides myself that I recognize from here. Only one from here has registered but not posted yet. I posted a lot of schematics so it wouldn't be an empty shell, and I have a lot more to post. But you and horatio and martok2112 are livening things up quite a bit, and we had 27 people on at the same time earlier today, mostly guests. In the first week we have 138 posts and over 700 thread views, even though most traffic must be coming from this thread so far.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Two days after my post above, the post count at Star Trek Journal is up to 190, mainly because I posted more schematics, with thread views only at 1,000 and still no links other than my Web site and this thread. I guess that's not bad, but I am reminded of the 45th Rule of Acquisition: Expand or Die.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I added combadges, LCARS buttons, and Starfleet ranks and pips. The registration screening method is called COPPA, like CAPTCHA but nicer. It's starting to come up on Yahoo! but Google is still problematic, even though I went through all the procedures of Google Tools. The only direct links are at lcars24.com, Ex Astris Scientia, SourceForge, and in this thread so far, after two weeks.

Star Trek Journal has 85 threads and 272 posts so far, although my own posts just to stock the pond by starting some threads and posting 95 schematics plus some replies add up to 181 (about two-thirds), the rest from you guys and other members, a lot better than the empty shell I saw while setting it up. But it's looking pretty good for a new forum only two weeks old. The link is my signature below.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Commander

Good work LCARS, there's some interesting threads getting going, hopefully it's all up from here.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, Roysten. Your participation helps make it so.

Star Trek Journal is still a very young forum, having just opened March 22 and now with a total of 323 posts, and still mainly fed by this thread, which is now up to over 3,000 views.

I fixed it so the latest thread title from the Trek News forum is displayed at the very top, just in time for the story about a film version of William Shatner's one-man stage show to be shown in theaters April 24. Rather than expecting anyone to go to Star Trek Journal just to see that story, I'll paste it in here:

Shatner's World, a film version of his one-man show, coming to theaters

A film version of William Shatner's critically acclaimed one-man show Shatner's World will be shown in 630 theaters April 24, 2014.

Shatner's World Press Release

Review of live version on Broadway, 2012

His own description

Ticket information, etc.