The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default New forum

We were discussing this in the thread about the Janeway forum. I used the same host as Sb63 but heavily modified it to make it look nice. And it has some mild screening, not a severe as CAPTCHA, to keep the spambots out.

Star Trek Journal
Old 03-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Omegaman has signed up!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Great. It looks almost exactly like what I've been wanting for quite some time. I had never worked with CSS before, so it was hard to make such radical modifications so quickly by trial and error.

At least I don't have to pay any money for it and am under no pressure to sell my soul to maintain a certain level of activity. So it should be nice (famous last words).
Old 03-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
Great. It looks almost exactly like what I've been wanting for quite some time. I had never worked with CSS before, so it was hard to make such radical modifications so quickly by trial and error.

At least I don't have to pay any money for it and am under no pressure to sell my soul to maintain a certain level of activity. So it should be nice (famous last words).
CSS is great. Work with it every day. Not so hard once you start playing around. Use a web inspector, SAFARI (MAC) has once built in. Or you can install one for most web browsers, PC or MAC. With it you can soon learn what ID or Class is applied to individual DIV's or SPAN's etc. I usually work with a CUSTOM CSS Stylesheet and make changes in that, rather than alter the original style sheet.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Commander

Have signed up as well. I like the visuals, seems pretty cool and I'm looking forward to seeing it fleshed out.

I hope I don't come across too much like a naysayer, but I'm not sure how well it's gonna take off. I imagine that the majority of people who are on here will sign up and most of those will probably post, but I can see it going the same way as Janeway's forum, or that people who are on your forum and also on here may just end up posting on here.

Time will tell and hopefully I'm just being cynical, but just thought I'd voice it, though I'm sure you're not naive.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Great. Two of you. That's what I call people flocking in to join! I made 12 posts myself (two accidentally under the name of the crash-test dummy [Trekist] I used to test the registration process). How many posts does this forum get per week? Anyway, I'm looking forward to real activity from you guys.

Let's just be optimistic and assume it will become one of the largest Trek forums without ever becoming a troll asylum. Fortune favors the dolt who scoffs at unfavorable odds. If I take good care of it, I think it should have a good chance of becoming something we can all be pleased with.

By the way, I set the maximum avatar size to 125 x 125 pixels, because I had one that size handy.Regardless, that's an appropriate max. size, I think, for that layout.

And registration is completed when you click on the link in the e-mail you get after the initial process, not that I'm paranoid or anything.

Last edited by LCARS 24 : 03-23-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

I also joined and appreciate your efforts, LCARS. As Roysten has pointed out, it takes time for a forum to take off due to network effects, a communication hub/network like an internet forum is more valuable the more people participate. So people are more interested in joining when many people have already joined which implies that the start is very difficult and a bit like a vicious cycle, nobody wants to join because only few people are there.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Give it time.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The paint is almost dry, the shelves are stocked, the aisles are jammed, and horatio's beautiful and scholarly first post about TNG is the hottest item, even though advertising is limited to this thread and a link on my Web site. And it doesn't even come up on Yahoo! or Google searches for "Star Trek Journal." I don't know how forums get their threads on those search engines. I'm really new at this. I thought the host would put out a grand-opening message.

But the admin's stat chart shows 48 thread views in the past seven hours. Being a naive optimist, I expect that to snowball.

At least it's the fastest-growing Trek forum at the moment.

Last edited by LCARS 24 : 03-24-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
The paint is almost dry, the shelves are stocked, the aisles are jammed, and horatio's beautiful and scholarly first post about TNG is the hottest item, even though advertising is limited to this thread and a link on my Web site. And it doesn't even come up on Yahoo! or Google searches for "Star Trek Journal." I don't know how forums get their threads on those search engines. I'm really new at this. I thought the host would put out a grand-opening message.

But the admin's stat chart shows 48 thread views in the past seven hours. Being a naive optimist, I expect that to snowball.

At least it's the fastest-growing Trek forum at the moment.

Need to use Google's Webmaster tools to get things started. Here's the link: https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...ers%2Ftools%2F

Create and account, read the guide and follow the instructions to get your site listed. Listing takes more than a few weeks though.