The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > LOL! Yet ANOTHER redo of my Enterprise model...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yes, the Booleans were an off-shoot of the Bolian race, but they are purple skinned, not blue.

LOL! Actually, Booleans are holes or protrusions you can put on an object by combining two shapes together, and then eliminating the source shape using the Boolean procedure. The windows on my ship (except for the arboretum) were created via Boolean procedure.

I'm glad you like her, Kevin. She's still got a few things that need done before I put her to animation. I think I'm going to make a shuttle bay and a either create a couple of shuttle craft, or just throw in a couple of my TOS Shuttles I made a few years ago....since I gave this ship working shuttle bay doors.

Yeah, it seems like every time I learn something new, I have to go back and apply that to my builds. Thankfully, I learned quite a few things in the last few weeks, so I've got plenty to keep me busy as I rebuild some of my ships. (Klingon K't'inga, Miranda Class, TOS Federation ships, the classic Battlestar Galactica, Colonial Viper, and Cylon Raider.)

Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Had to make another correction to the saucer...

The window lights on the lower face of the saucer, near the central sensor housing were missing. So, it was a brief exercise in Booleans again, but she turned out good. Just need to reapply the stencils, glows, and reattach the other components (phasers, bridge, RCS thrusters, etc....)
Pics soon to follow...

Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

It looks very nice Martok, you've done my favorite Trek ship proud! The refit is my runaway favorite. Klingon Bird of Prey is up there too!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

Most kind, good Captain, thank you. I'm glad you feel it does the lady justice.
And I do have plans to rebuild my old Klingon BoP as well, given my new abilities.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Added in the lower window booleans to the saucer section. This resulted in my having to reapply some textures since it changed up the unwrap and UV map considerably. And this time, for the saucer's side stenciling, I just decided to create a couple of pieces taken from the saucer hull, and texture over those. Resulted in much sharper text than previous methods....since, by applying Booleans to the saucer, my unwraps come out looking a little warped around the rim.

Also, I have the forward airlock doors under the saucer as functional animated props.

Last edited by martok2112 : 03-19-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Commander

Thanks for the explanation Martok, am loving the new pics. Thanks also for explaining the boolean function! I used to use a piece of software called EFradiant for creating maps for Star Trek Elite Force (Quake 3), there was a function in that that worked the same way, but called something different. I'd been looking for years for the same function in Blender but could never find it... and now I know!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

You're welcome, Roysten.

Bascially, with a Boolean, do this little exercise:

In Blender, your default starting piece should be a cube.
Add a Cylinder.... now, if you're wanting the Boolean inside to have an open face...in other words, once you've cleared the Cylindrical tunnel, it looks as if you can see the innards of the cube, then remove the end faces of the Cylinder. (This was how I created my windows for the Enterprise).

Anyhoo, on with the exercise.
-Put the Cylinder inside the cube....1/3 of the way in, 1/2 the way in, it doesn't matter.
-Select the cube, and then Go to the TOOLS section (the wrench icon) on the right of the UI. It will bring up "Add Modifier". Click on that, and then select Boolean.
-You will see a box of options on under Operation. The three options are "difference", "union", and "intersect". To create a bore inside the cube, select "difference".
-Go to the blank box beside the Operation box, and click on it...it will bring up a list of all the available objects the Cube can interact with. Select "Cylinder". Now, you should see a change on the cube, as if some faces on the cube got a little distorted.
-Hide the Cylinder. If the operation was done right, you can see the bore you created into the Cube with the Cylinder.
-If this was done as you envisioned, select the Cube and then click on Apply in the Boolean toolbox. Then you can go and delete the Cylinder.

-If you click "Union", the Cylinder will create a protrusion from the Cube, the Cube will look as if a Cube and Cylinder were fused together.

-If you click "Intersect", the Cube will disappear, and become part of the Cylinder.

When you are satisfied with whatever result you seek, remember to click "Apply" on the object you put the Boolean upon.

There are some other finer points about Booleans (especially if you are trying to create multiple Booleans onto a larger object -- like when I made my windows for the ship), but I won't go into those just now.

For now, try to get comfortable with just doing the simple Boolean exercise.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Video coming soon.

The Enterprise is pretty much finished. The shuttlecrafts featured in the video are my builds as well..and the movie era shuttle is my design based off the classic model.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

UPDATE:

Ugh....have to rebuild/retexture the secondary hull. The starboard (right, for you non-naval types) side of the secondary hull has a lot of errors that cause that portion of the hull to just not hold up so well on close ups.

Ah well....no biggie.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Commander

Thanks for the tutorial there, have already given it a quick and I'm amazed at how much simpler it's going to make things.

You got a link to your latest work?