The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Enterprise-A Main Engineering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Enterprise-A Main Engineering

I have a question regarding the changes made to the interior sets between Star Trek IV and Star Trek V. Namely, the Engineering set underwent the greatest change, being the biggest set in the films (aside from the massive shuttlebay in TMP). While I understand that the bridge set was destroyed between the two films, I was never told why the rest of the interior was changed as well. Below I examine the changes.

STAR TREK TMP - IV

We have the same Engine room for the first three Star Trek films, so understandably the same Engine room was probably intended for the Enterprise-A in Star Trek IV. At least, I can't see why it would need to be changed.

STAR TREK V

Here we see a much smaller engine room. I like it a lot, but where's the engine? And where are all the engineering crews? Surely it takes more than one man to operate a starship engine room.

STAR TREK VI

What the...? What is this!? Why does a 23rd century Enterprise have the EXACT same engine room as a 24th century galaxy-class starship? I mean, come on! That's just lazy set design!

Conclusion: Does anyone know the real world reason for the set changes made to engineering for the Enterprise-A? If you do, please let me know!

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
I have a question regarding the changes made to the interior sets between Star Trek IV and Star Trek V. Namely, the Engineering set underwent the greatest change, being the biggest set in the films (aside from the massive shuttlebay in TMP). While I understand that the bridge set was destroyed between the two films, I was never told why the rest of the interior was changed as well. Below I examine the changes.

STAR TREK TMP - IV

We have the same Engine room for the first three Star Trek films, so understandably the same Engine room was probably intended for the Enterprise-A in Star Trek IV. At least, I can't see why it would need to be changed.

STAR TREK V

Here we see a much smaller engine room. I like it a lot, but where's the engine? And where are all the engineering crews? Surely it takes more than one man to operate a starship engine room.

STAR TREK VI

What the...? What is this!? Why does a 23rd century Enterprise have the EXACT same engine room as a 24th century galaxy-class starship? I mean, come on! That's just lazy set design!

Conclusion: Does anyone know the real world reason for the set changes made to engineering for the Enterprise-A? If you do, please let me know!
Most of the sets for the Ent-A are just redresses of the TNG sets. Just enough to make them look different. Although they could have done a better job with STVI sets. Looks too much like the TNG sets.

But I do believe that image of Scotty is not engineering but maybe an auxillary engineering station in a jeffires tube.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
But I do believe that image of Scotty is not engineering but maybe an auxillary engineering station in a jeffires tube.
New question: If that isn't engineering, I wonder what is? Would it be the same engine room as the one in Star Trek VI? I shudder to think...

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

The Supercolider core from the Galaxy is a better design anyway.
This spiral matrix in the original refist puts the power core and the PTS conduits in a very vulnerable location.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
Most of the sets for the Ent-A are just redresses of the TNG sets. Just enough to make them look different. Although they could have done a better job with STVI sets. Looks too much like the TNG sets.

Let's keep in mind, the TNG sets were themselves ST:TMP redress sets. Not to mention there would have been limited amount of time in between seasons of TNG for the Bennett/Meyer people to 'borrow back' those sets for their latter films.

We see less of the TMP engineering set in STII anyway, and almost none of it in III. I think TNG may have been the first time that set, however redressed, was reassembled in anything close to its entirety.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
New question: If that isn't engineering, I wonder what is? Would it be the same engine room as the one in Star Trek VI? I shudder to think...
Maybe it was another room in Engineering, but I doubt it. Kirk specifically says, "Engine room" when he asks for Scotty.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 09-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:

STAR TREK TMP - IV

STAR TREK V

STAR TREK VI

Simplest answer is money.

The original sets would have been struck between the first coupla films and since there was no large scenes played in TFF it would have been too expensive to rebuild the earlier set to match for the brief moments it was seen on TV.

(as and aside, one could rationalise that since the TFF ship is a different ship, it had some sort of redesigned engine room area)

The TUC redress of the TNG set was just another money-saving decision because the set wasn't seen very much anyway.

So at the end of the day - it's really just about subsequent money resources not being able to recreate all the original sets etc.

I have no idea why that meant we needed three different bridges in three different films (or why all the corridors changed their appearance in every film as well - the ship must have had a top to bottom refit every six months) but then it seems that since the bridge area was one which money was worth spending on.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Commander

The set that annoyed me the most was the corridors in Star Trek 5, specifically the scene where Syboks followers are running down a corridor which is the TNG sets with no redress at all.

The bridge changes every time between IV and VI as well, the changes aren't subtle but show vastly different bridges in every case, can justify the differences between 5 and 6 by saying a different bridge module is installed.

I liked the Engineering set from I-III, shame they couldn't use it for the other films, but like has been pointed out they weren't seen much so weren't pivotal to the story so not much point wasting budget on them.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Commander

Quote:
I have a question regarding the changes made to the interior sets between Star Trek IV and Star Trek V.

STAR TREK V

STAR TREK VI

Archer,
Myself not being the authority that most others are on this board about ST.......I was interested in this shot of Scotty in the "Engine Room" or possibly the/a "Jefferies Tubes".

In the background.......in the "bluishly-lit areas.......what are those things that look like.......a repeating jumble of...pipes? Pipes like...in related to the "Brewery Room" of the nu-Enterprise?
I might be just interpreting them that way, but the similarity seems odd.

I realize that the background may have been there just for "movie effect", not really intending to represent anything in particular, but still.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Room.jpg (34.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Futureguy : 09-04-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Archer,
Myself not being the authority that most others are on this board about ST.......I was interested in this shot of Scotty in the "Engine Room" or possibly the/a "Jefferies Tubes".

In the background.......in the "bluishly-lit areas.......what are those things that look like.......a repeating jumble of...pipes? Pipes like...in related to the "Brewery Room" of the nu-Enterprise?
I might be just interpreting them that way, but the similarity seems odd.

I realize that the background may have been there just for "movie effect", not really intending to represent anything in particular, but still.......
I can make out that the two side by side views are at console stations. It's the view that is seen in the background on the left the consoles seem to be monitoring.