The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > LOL! Yet ANOTHER redo of my Enterprise model...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default LOL! Yet ANOTHER redo of my Enterprise model...

Howdy folks,

Well, as I continue to learn Blender, obviously it makes me want to rebuild my models from before. In the last few weeks, I've learned about Booleans, unwrapping, and texturing in Blender itself (as opposed to trying to do textures in iClone). I have to say, I think the results turned out MUCH better.

Here are a couple of pics of my Enterprise rebuild in progress. Most of the textures are hand drawn by me, except for the Aztec hull paint on the saucer, and the hangar threshold lights. I'm also putting working airlock hatches on the torpedo bay, secondary hull, and the back of the bridge module...as well as working shield doors for the two airlocks on the lower part of the saucer.

Ok, I think I managed to rebuild and correct the shape of the warp nacelles. And the retexturing turned out a lot better, I believe. (I can do any further tweaking in PhotoShop).
Also, reduced the internal lighting a bit.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Commander

Looking awesome Martok! Am guessing the bridge module isn't going to stay yellow?

I've tried my hand at making a few things in Blender, is a great bit of software, I've made some quarters and a stretch of corridor, nothing like to the standard you're achieving though.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Nice work Martok!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Looking awesome Martok! Am guessing the bridge module isn't going to stay yellow?

I've tried my hand at making a few things in Blender, is a great bit of software, I've made some quarters and a stretch of corridor, nothing like to the standard you're achieving though.
Thanks, Roysten.
Yeah, I'm going to reduce the yellow on the bridge module...to something a bit more to match the color of the ship. I think I based the color partially on the model done by Tobias Richter....but she does need toned down a bit.

Blender is indeed a great piece of software. And now that I've learned how to do Booleans, unwraps, and full model textures, I feel like I've been let loose...so to speak.

A lot of the tuts, I found on YouTube. Alimayo Arango did a wonderful tut on simple model texturing. And then, I found a video I hadn't seen in a few years which dealth with (as I put it) "whole hog" model texturing. That version of Blender that the tutor (Headless One) used was 2.3. I now have 2.69, and after finally finding that video again, I had to do just a wee bit of translating to get the work done in the current version.

I'm glad you like her so far.
I've just now given her working hangar doors in addition to the docking hatches on the torpedo bay, secondary hull, and back of the bridge.

After a few more additions (phasers, mostly...and perhaps making a shuttle bay, and a shuttlecraft), I will be anxious to see this baby in motion.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Commander

If it's hard to summarise then no worries, but what do booleans allow you to do? I've had success at unwrapping basic meshes and applying textures to them, but more often than not the unwrap looks bizarre and I can't make heads or tails of how to apply an image.

Have to say I'm quite inspired by your efforts though, I haven't touched many of projects for awhile now but I'm going to try and give it a go again.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Omegaman.

Update: Have made the saucer bridge dome look more like the color of the ship. Also have applied the NCC hull markings to the ship, and glows in certain places. She's starting to look as if she just jumped out of the motion picture and straight onto my computer.

Roysten, actually, I'm planning on doing a tutorial in Blender for the "whole hog" texture method...as I like to call it. I'm sure there are a number of tuts out there on the subject, but I want to see if I can get mine to be a bit succinct.

I'm skipping a lot in the following, but basically, in Blender, when you follow certain procedures, when you paint onto the object, what happens is first you split your workscreen into two (a 3D screen, and a UV Image Editor screen) and then you "unwrap" the object. That's what results in the jumbled mess you usually see. Then, you set up UV maps for the faces you wish to paint, as well as a UV map that you can call "FINAL". (FINAL is the UV map you will do the actual painting on) The other UV maps are the sources. Port, starboard, fore, aft, ventral, dorsal. What you do then is you go to each facing map (not FINAL...leave final in unwrapped view). Let's say you want to set up the starboard side. You go down to the UV map you designated as "starboard", and then, you "project from view". What happens now is that you see a projection of that side of the object overlaid onto the UV Image editor. Now, open up the image you want to project onto the "projected view" of the object you unwrapped. (Don't worry, when I do the video tut, this will ALL make sense). Then, in the UV editor, you adjust the scale of the "projected view" to match up with the image you just imported. Do the same for each face.... (project from view, open image, match projection to image). Once you've done all this, you're ready to paint. Now, you select "Texture paint", and then go up to the brushes and select Clone Paint. Now, lets say you want to paint the starboard side you just set up..... in the UV map selection, you now select FINAL, and on the Clone Paint brushes, you select Clone From, and then select the "Starboard" as your source. Then, in the 3D view, you just start painting. Make sure your opacity is set to 1.00000. Do the same for each side of the ship you paint. After all is said and done, you go to "Edit Mode" and you will see the paint job you've done look as the "jumbled mess" in the UV Image Editor. You save that image as your texture map. Then, you go back to Object mode, and save your painted object.

Like I said, I'll do a video tut soon....but this is just an idea of the process. Trust me, once you get used to it, the process doesn't take near as long as it sounds.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Would love a Blender texture tutorial Martok. Keep me advised.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Very cool, Omegaman.

When I get some time off, I shall endeavor to post a tutorial, and notify those interested.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

UPDATE : Added hull stenciling (StarFleet Bold Extended) and illuminations.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Booleans? Is that the neighbouring planet to Bolians?

Anyway.............you know what practice makes! That looks very good and much more detailed than earlier versions. I can understand the impulse to keep going back and trying things again. I sometimes used to do that back when I went through a phase of building plastic model kits. I had a couple variations on the original Enterprise myself as I got a bit better at them.

courtesy of Saquist