The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Malcolm McDowell Q&A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Malcolm McDowell Q&A

On Tuesday the 15th, my gf and I attended the last of three Q&A sessions featuring Malcolm McDowell at the Alex Theater in Glendale, California. The series consisted of three films: A Clockwork Orange on April 1st; Time After Time on April 8th and (of course) Star Trek Generations on the 15th. It was an awesome experience! Before the film, Michael Dorn came on stage hosting the Q&A and Malcolm had a joke for every question asked. It was pretty funny to be honest. Focusing on how it was like working on the set and for Star Trek, McDowell talked about how fun it was fighting two actors with very large egos.

Years before Generations, Malcolm had worked with Patrick Stewart at the Royal Shakespeare Company in England and when he was asked to play the villain of the film, Malcolm hesitated a great deal. Malcolm explains, "I had never seen Star Trek before and had no idea what the premise was. But when the bucks came in I couldn't resist. Plus it was an honor to work with ol' baldy again. So I said, why not?!" There's a story Malcolm overheard on set. In the Valley of Fire, while on a break from filming, Malcolm overheard Stewart talk to his agent about how he disapproved of the positioning of his mouth for the Picard action figures. After the phone call, Stewart demanded that the toys be recalled. Now, I'm not sure if they were actually recalled, but according to Malcolm, they were. It was a hard to believe but I can see how an actor has the right to have the mouth done the way he wants; after all, it is his likeness.

After the session, Malcolm stayed and watched the movie in the audience claming that he had not seen the film since the first time it came out in 1994. Several Star Trek allumni were in the audience as well! Nichelle Nichols showed was there, along with Spice Williams, Vixis in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

As I was watching the film, especially during the first 20 minutes, I thought to myself, How cool is it to actually watch Star Trek with someone who knows these people personally and have worked with them for 25 years! So cool! It was fun, and even though the film wasn't the best Trek film, it was nice to watch it on the big screen and in the original 35 mm print!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MALCOLM 1.jpg (22.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MALCOLM 2.jpg (22.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MALCOLM 3.jpg (40.2 KB, 4 views)

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 04-28-2014, 03:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

I guess it must have been great to not just see a Star Trek actor in front of the curtain but above all just a great actor.
My favourite movie in which he appears is his first one, If. It is a total sixties movie but nonetheless very watchable.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Rear Admiral

I love dated films! Seriously. To be honest, I'm not sure why they showed Generations. It wasn't a well-known part to be honest and half the people I ask know about the lame death of Kirk but NOT the actor responsible.

Fans Expendable
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

I have never understood why so many people consider Kirk's death to be lame. Sure, he does not go down in flames, his death is not exciting ... but it is fairly realistic and what matters is not style but content most, what matters is not how he died but that he was ready to forsake the prospect of love and marriage, of personal happiness in order to save billions.
I agree that GEN is neither well known nor the best part of McDowell but I also think that without him GEN would have been a far worse movie. Soran is perhaps my favourite movie villain as one can easily empathize with him. Who would not be tempted to kill in order to live forever in absolute happiness? The second reason is Soran made the very opposite choice of Picard and Kirk. There is no Trek movie besides TUC which shows so clearly that a choice makes the differences between the good and the bad guy (perhaps FC but the texture of the movie, Picard's action movie behaviour and him ripping out the throat of the dead Borg queen, is in some conflict with the content of abandoning revenge).
Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Rear Admiral

If Shatner wasn't to have agreed on GEN, I wonder what kind of a film it would have been? Some people were probably going to be upset that Kirk wouldn't be featured in the films anymore. There really was nothing to do but kill Captain Kirk in order to finalize everything.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

I agree with Horatio that Kirk's death was honest and realistic, as it should have been.
So many fanboys seem to think that their "hero" MUST go out in a blaze of glory, but the truth is, even in real-life, the most larger than life of heroes can go out with considerable ignominy.

Fanboys ought to be pleased though. At least Kirk wasn't punked like he was going to be in the original shoot. In the original screenplay, Soran shot Kirk in the back, killing him right there. THAT would've been realistic, but it just wouldn't fly with the fanboys. And God knows we can't go off pissing off the impotently enraged lil fanboys, right?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Kirk sacrificed himself so the TNG crew was saved, so the E could be in the temporal wake to restore the timeline after the Borg assimilated the past
Without Kirk's sacrifice, Earth would have been assimilated long before Starfleet ever existed...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Rear Admiral

True; however some people think everyone died after Veridian III was destroyed and what we see after is just an illusion from the Matrix...I mean Nexus.

Fans Expendable