The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Star Trek: Renegades
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Star Trek: Renegades

Star Trek: Renegades is a fan film but also a pilot for a proposed series, with Tim Russ directing and appearing as Tuvok, but also including Robert Picardo as Dr. Zimmerman and Walter Koening as Chekov. Trailers are on YouTube and the project"s Web site already, and release is planned for this fall. So this is from the makers of Star Trek: Of Gods and Men. The trailers look like professional work.

Wkipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Renegades

The trailers can be viewed from the Web site:
http://startrekrenegades.com/home/

or YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZPbX2x3Ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgRJWBB12GA
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Commander

Pretty cool trailer. I find that a lot of these fan films are a bit fan-wanky and have bizarrely convoluted reasons for putting certain characters together but I always love to see a bit more with old cast members. Will certainly look forward to this one!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

It looks very good for fan-made stuff and who wouldn't like to see Gary Graham without the pointed ears but I think it is more than slightly preposterous to suggest this as a pilot for a new Trek series. I don't like the apocalyptic-rebel story notion. First of all there is ample of apocalyptic sci-fi out there, second Section 31 and other criminals saving the day is plain heretical (there are limits to what you can do with Trek unless you do not really care about it still being Trek besides in name).
Weak apocalyptic in this sense (GUINAN: With experience. When the Borg destroyed my world, my people scattered throughout the universe. We survived. As will humanity survive. As long as there's a handful of you to keep the spirit alive, you will prevail. Even if it takes a millennium.), yes, but after the authoritarian crapfestival named Battlestar Galactica I have little interest in seeing Trek going down the giant exodus road either.
What's wrong with good ol' very weakly apocalyptic like e.g. Picard constantly fighting to defend the Federation against the "enemy within"? This might not be particularly flashy or exciting but it is a hell of a lot more realistic, important and significant ... and above all it leads to better drama.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Commander

I wouldn't like to see it as a new series but it certainly looks fun as a piece of Star Trek related film.

I agree to a certain extent regarding the apocalyptic bent that many shows and films go down these days, I wouldn't like to see it as a major theme of a Star Trek show. To me it would be missing the point of an optimistic future and almost cheapen the 40+ years of strong, good characters doing everything to preserve their future and show that it's worth fighting for.

I may be opening a can of worms here but why don'y you like Battlestar Galactica?

I very much enjoyed Conspiracy at the end of TNG season 1, I really wish they'd followed that up. I can't put my finger on why exactly but what they did there felt much more of a threat than other coups and potential takeovers that were offered in later seasons and shows. It could have been really effective to have had Admiral Sati in The Drumhead referring to that as part of the threat to give her accusations a bit more backing
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think Satie was involved in the investigation of the spikenecks...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I may be opening a can of worms here but why don'y you like Battlestar Galactica?

I very much enjoyed Conspiracy at the end of TNG season 1, I really wish they'd followed that up. I can't put my finger on why exactly but what they did there felt much more of a threat than other coups and potential takeovers that were offered in later seasons and shows. It could have been really effective to have had Admiral Sati in The Drumhead referring to that as part of the threat to give her accusations a bit more backing
Because it is authoritarian. Of course there were some episodes which pretended to be about humankind in exile sticking to the values of liberal democracy ... but in the end the only democrat on the show, Zarek, was portrayed as terrorist while the leaders did not care one iota about what the population wanted, they just did whatever they considered to be right. Not incidentally they were a man and a woman in love, a kind of substitute parents. I don't have to point out that pre-democratic forms of government often tried to use and channel the psychological fact of natural parental authority into political power, great chain of being and so on, everybody has his fixed place ... and the fixed place of Adama and Roslin is to be daddy and mummy for humankind in exile.

Apart from this issue BSG is a decent show ... well, except for the theobabble (I am very interested in religion but the way Moore dealt with a great source material, monotheistic religion, was a joke. All the religious stuff in BSG was literally void of any actual ideas.) and the literal deus ex machina and so on.

Contrast this with what you suggested, delving deeper into the dark side of the Federation in TNG. The key difference is subtext, i.e. BSG basically said that Adama and Roslin are right whereas TNG says that Picard is right.

I totally do not mind dark Trek as long as the perspective is right, i.e. there is some ugly sh*t out there but our heroes fight against it. But whenever people talk about BSGifying Trek they are basically saying that they would not mind authoritarian leaders in Trek. This is literally unenlightened, we are supposed to have left this crap behind us centuries ago.

Call me boring but I associate Trek with a bunch of Starfleet officers who try to make good, rational decisions in dire straits, people who work in a strict hierarchy, as a team, bound by rules. And if a captain breaks the rules like in TOS he is basically doing what Jesus did, showing that some rules might be too inflexible and that less rigidity might be beneficial. Kirk is certainly not throwing the rulebook out of the window or even playing the boss of everybody like Adama.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Rear Admiral

I'm just glad to see a new production in the Prime universe; yes, even if it's not cannon.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't care what universe it's set in....it looks far more interesting than the P.C. drivel Roddenberry kept trying to ram down people's throats for years.

I hate the divisiveness of fandom....that's why I renounced fandom.

Prime Universe, JJ Universe, Mirror Universe, it's ALL Trek.