The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > STID SPOILER Thread - Enter At Own Risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Captain

Cool STID SPOILER Thread - Enter At Own Risk

WARNING: THIS IS A SPOILER THREAD. Anyone not wishing to know the secrets of STID if you haven't seen/heard them yet, please depart now...

Anyone wishing to share/discuss spoilers for STID can use this thread, as a courtesy to those who may wish to avoid them for now...

So...what is the verdict on Khan, and the plot device that he's been found years earlier and that he's being used as a pawn for Starfleet?

Last edited by starbase63 : 05-16-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Gonna have to see how it all plays out, but as a variation on the recurring theme of a corrupt or idealogically defense based Admiral in Starfleet engaging in possibly self serving or underhanded affairs for the benefit of the Federation.....................well, it seems to continue the theme on paper.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 05-14-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Captain

Cool

After all, it's always been a recurring theme throughout Star Trek...any Starfleet officer who is either not a present or former member of the crew of the USS Enterprise is either crazy, power mad, or otherwise unstable.

Note in the New Timeline even, we have Christopher Pike (former Enterprise captain) who is clearly a good, upstanding guy, and Admiral Marcus, who has his own plans and schemes...

Old 05-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Midshipman

Heard on a corner of the Internet that this place was back up and running, and wasn't going to bother logging in. But I have too?

I am utterly gob smacked to see that people who haven't seen the film already know every beat of the film. What's the point in you people going to see the film if you people already know Harrison is Khan, Admiral Marcus is just another in a long line of misguided Starfleet admirals and everything else that happens? Going to the cinema isn't exactly a cheap endeavour in this day and age, but why pay $15 (or whatever) into JJ and Paramount's coffers now?

I'd seen the trailers, but I made a conscious decision to avoid everything else around mid-February. I think I quit when it was announced that Alice was playing Carol Marcus. So I didn't know that Weller was her old man. I didn't know the name of the mysterious Federation starship that Harrison was on, or where it came from. I didn't know what was coming up in the last 30 minutes. And I certainly did not expect to hear the words "My name is Khan!" uttered. And guess what happened? I freaked the f##k out at around 1 am sitting in the cinema when I heard that.

And that is something you people won't experience, because you read it all on the Internet instead of waiting.

My best to all at STL. If I have any urgent messages to pass on, it is that Steven Moffat should finally be taken out back and shot, and I could listen to Alice Eve's accent for the rest of my life.

*goes back to college work*
Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofspock1 View Post
I am utterly gob smacked to see that people who haven't seen the film already know every beat of the film. What's the point in you people going to see the film if you people already know Harrison is Khan, Admiral Marcus is just another in a long line of misguided Starfleet admirals and everything else that happens? Going to the cinema isn't exactly a cheap endeavour in this day and age, but why pay $15 (or whatever) into JJ and Paramount's coffers now?

I'd seen the trailers, but I made a conscious decision to avoid everything else around mid-February. I think I quit when it was announced that Alice was playing Carol Marcus. So I didn't know that Weller was her old man. I didn't know the name of the mysterious Federation starship that Harrison was on, or where it came from. I didn't know what was coming up in the last 30 minutes. And I certainly did not expect to hear the words "My name is Khan!" uttered. And guess what happened? I freaked the f##k out at around 1 am sitting in the cinema when I heard that.

And that is something you people won't experience, because you read it all on the Internet instead of waiting.
I've managed to avoid most of the speculation somehow and I'm pleased for it, knew too much about the other film tbh.

The theme isn't exactly new is it? And the use of TWOK dialogue was a bit cheap IMO, there were plenty of fan pleasing moments enough without resorting to that.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Federation Councillor

My original plan was to avoid spoilers (although I'm not entirely sure I would have been in any way shocked about Khan by this point anyway) but things have a habit of not working out that way.

I don't expect knowing these things to diminish the whole experience anyway. And of course, I'll still go to see it. At the moment I know some specific plot points and spoilers. There's more to a movie experience than simply knowing the plot. There's how the film feels, how I feel watching it, cinematography, music, performances, visuals etc that all go into the overall experience above and beyond merely having the story outline figured. Admittedly as a cinema fan anyway these aspects may interest me on top of the basic story more than others.

Case in point, the above mentioned 'Avatar'. Not a revolutionary story but absolutely not something to be seen at least initially on a home TV. That baby was built for the big screen experience.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 05-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Lieutenant

Star Trek 2.1.0: The Wrath of Section 31 of Kirk of Khan of Spock. Did anyone else laugh out loud at Spock screaming Khan? It was absolutely either intentionally a parody, or just a bad scream, but I literally laughed out loud, and got evil glares.

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Captain

Cool

Just a side note, please note this thread IS titled as a spoiler thread, so if anyone doesn't want to discuss them, just close your eyes and back up slowly...if you haven't seen the film and don't want to know, please try another thread.