The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Did Seven of Nine damage female characters in future series?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think T-pol' was immoral. They attempted to explain her bizzare behavior by some sort of illness. She was loose at they came. It didn't helped she made more appearances naked then any other woman in Trek. That's the writers. That was on top of the cat suits...which you really couldn't justifiy her being in at all.

So I think she did a horrible job personally of immitating the vulcan emotionless mask. By the time they are adults they are masters at supressing their emotions. I've seen it time and time again. Are they're errors...sure. Tuvok, Spock (half human) first Savvik the base ball playing vulcan on DS-9 but not out of the Vulcan admiral, Sarek the second Saavik, nor Dr. Selar, or Dr T'pan, T-pring, Vorik, T'pau and many others.

I think the first regular vulcan female character was a huge failure.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
um..... what is that?
meaning one (primarily male) is capable of looking at an attractive woman dressed attractively without becoming aroused... in other words, evolved beyond adolecense. Perhaps rather than subsided, I should say "more in control."
Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
How rigidly so many people in here think...
I think I made it perfectly clear that when I asked this question in hopes of reading other's idea's on the topic that this is a case of personal preference. That statement makes you the one with the rigid view. I have never stated that my opinion on the matter was correct and everyone else was wrong, and from the responses so far I appear to be the only one who thinks that Seven's and T'Pol cat suits were merely ratings grabbers than legitimate attire. I love looking a hot chicks, but don't try to justify putting one in a cat suit with a padded bra surrounded by officers in uniforms and trying to make it out to be anything more than pandering to the male libido. All the women in TOS wore that same miniskirt. All the women in TNG and DS9 wore the same uniform for their race--except for Troi, of course. Then comes Voyager and Enterprise and we have one female in a cat suit with a padded bra Botox lips, and it looks like I'm the only one who noticed that didn't fit in with the Starfleet norm.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I agree with you there 100%. I never got Voyager but enjoyed Enterprise even though T'Pol was poorly envisioned and executed.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Admiral

OC Trekkie...that would have been better...as noted the oldsters are pretty well in favor of seeing the pretty people displaying their bodies. I know those with young children have issues with some of the more blatant sexual displays...but "catsuit" has been a comic book staple since forever and kids young enough to be protected from overt sexuality in films are not mature enough to "get" that full body coverage can be more revealing than skimpy attire. I doubt many "parents" have huge issues with Seven's outfit.

I'm not sure I can completely blame the actress for the horror that is T'Pol. The character was atrociously written.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I agree with you there 100%. I never got Voyager but enjoyed Enterprise even though T'Pol was poorly envisioned and executed.

I wanted to see so much more out of T pol. I wanted to see impassiveness, I wanted her to be reflective, precise and strong.

Instead she was ****ty, argumenative, stubborn never yielding, condescending, and at times...see actually seemed drunk. I remeber the first episode I saw her in she was using copstix to eat something that was very difficult to eat with Chopstix. Trip and Archer are looking at her like she's crezy but she proves that with efforst and determination anything was possible....

Now that's the Kind of IDIC I like to see out vulcans. It was actually inspirational. We didn't see that afterward ...instead they used every excuse to have her naked.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM

You know, even though her outfit caused some stir, i really thought the character was a good, sound character. She had intelligence, loyalty, courage, and faithfullness. Seven Of Nine was always a work in progress. She was kind of a crux around which many stories spun. She provided an oppourtunity for certain situations that never could have been explored if she
had never become part of the crew. Plus, her friendship with little Naomi Wildman was just cute. In my mind, i think the writers wanted something like Data or Spock, a strong central machine-like character. But the people in charge who hired Jeri Ryan to play that part, saw a beautiful woman who could be a sex symbol and a ratings booster, i'm sure. So even though at first, i couldn't keep my jaw from dropping when i looked at her, amazing physical beauty that Jeri Ryan is, when i watch the show now, i find myself more and more watching the character and not the symbol. And you know what? Seven Of Nine is a smart, resourceful and creative member of the Voyager crew after all.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Commander

Guys! Did you forget that episode where Kes was taken over by that Male military leader? Did you see her running around in that tight black leather outfit and jumping onto the table???? I'm a girl and all my gal friends(we're all hetero) who were watching with me... we were floored! We were gaga about her small tight body and her nice a**!!! We all wish we saw more of that, maybe they wouldn't have kicked Kes out so soon.

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I loved Seven, not so much because she was hot (she was!) but because she would question things that we took for granted. She would get totally confused by the actions of Capt Janeway and wonder why she would want to be human if that's how humans act. She would make you think from time to time. Plus she had some good one-liners.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I think T-pol' was immoral. They attempted to explain her bizzare behavior by some sort of illness. She was loose at they came. It didn't helped she made more appearances naked then any other woman in Trek. That's the writers. That was on top of the cat suits...which you really couldn't justifiy her being in at all.

So I think she did a horrible job personally of immitating the vulcan emotionless mask. By the time they are adults they are masters at supressing their emotions. I've seen it time and time again. Are they're errors...sure. Tuvok, Spock (half human) first Savvik the base ball playing vulcan on DS-9 but not out of the Vulcan admiral, Sarek the second Saavik, nor Dr. Selar, or Dr T'pan, T-pring, Vorik, T'pau and many others.

What i hated about Enterprise was the whole anti-vulcan mind meld, nerve pinch thing. I always thought that was an accepted part of Vulcan culture since TOS. I also agree that Enterprise was over sexed and T'pol under clothed. But she did have her interesting moments as well. All in all though, i really do wish they had taken a different approach somehow.