The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Did Seven of Nine damage female characters in future series?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Gunny1, great argument. That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get to my question. Regardless if I agree with you or not, I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer to this debate. I just like reading well-thought-out arguments. Too often on forums like this we have to wade through replies that are simply, "You're wrong, I'm right and here's why."

You make some good points. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

also in TOS, William Thesses's idiology of Trig..... I don't know how to spell it, I am currently at school.

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

SEven was a incredible complement to the Voyager crew and a great idea. Finally someone on the crew that didn't just fall in line under Janeway. Janeway was .."ok"...but she lost her true first officer and Chakotay was a poor substitute to counter the famous "Janeway logic".

Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Rear Admiral

Seven of Nine was a great character that was, for the most part, well handled by the actress and the writers. I was always disheartened by fact she replaced Kes, as opposed to merely being added to the cast. Kes could've been one of Trek's great scifi characters and concepts- a humanoid with a seven-year life span! The producers dropped the ball on that one.

And was it just me or did the Seven/Chakotay thing come out of the blue? I wasn't watching the show regularly by that point but I really didn't see that relationship coming. Its that way in real life I guess but a little foreshadowing makes these things sweeter when they manifest themselves. Subtle foreshadowing, that is.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I personally liked Kes and Seven and Hated Neelix, stupid little Troll....

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's Jeri Ryan that made Seven of Nine work. She was an incredible actress.
I think the opposite of Jolene Blalock. I don't think she grasped the idea of being vulcan. It did not translate through her acting.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Commander

How rigidly so many people in here think...

Neither Jeri Ryan nor Jolene Blalock were dressed any worse than any other Star Trek female. The mini-skirts on TOS were so short that they showed the bloomers underneath. Counselor Troi wore a skin-tight suit. Let's face it: many of you have grown up, perhaps have had families, and your hormones have subsided or your views on sexuality have changed and grown up with you.

As for Blalock's Vulcan, I think she did as good of a job as any. Remember, she was the first Vulcan to spend extensive time with humans. It's probably pretty easy to keep your emotions in check when everyone around you does the same. Plus, remember, she took those drugs when she started having romantic feelings for Trip, and that played with her emotions as well too... I think she did a great job of portraying a Vulcan in conflict. However, it differs than Spock's Vulcan in conflict because Spock has dealt with this his whole life, and perhaps even by then, Vulcans had developed meditative techniques for dealing with other species'. Blalock's conflict wasn't brought on till she came on the ship.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Let's face it: many of you have grown up, perhaps have had families, and your hormones have subsided or your views on sexuality have changed and grown up with you.
Ah....blatant ageism is always good for making friends...

I believe it was one of our younger members who started this thread, not one of us old folks...the old people seem pretty happy with the idea of short skirts on the ladies, men taking off their shirts and both genders being clothed to flatter the pretty bodies of the hot young cast.

Heck, most of my time posting is spent trying to figure out how to avoid sounding like a completely pervy horndog....I am restricted from posting things I would like to discuss with adults because of this board's youthful base. So, please, pocket the idea that mature adults are hormonally deprived and devoid of the ablity to care about sex. No one here agreed with the premise of the thread...

While I wouldn't speak for the group, it seems to me most here appreciate Seven of Nine and part of that appreciation is that she looks rock solid hot in that catsuit.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Commander

I'm not saying that older folks are hormonally deprived... one of the things I said in my post was that people had FAMILIES... and perhaps that's part of the way their viewpoints have changed.

I also think Jeri Ryan rocks the catsuit.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
your hormones have subsided
um..... what is that?

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!